Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 04:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your rigs!

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 05, 2011 04:11 |  #151

Raginl3ull wrote in post #13052631 (external link)
Why couldn't you put all that on a monopod? If you think it looks silly, might want to have the vanity levels checked :lol:

You could never be mobile enough on a monopod as you would be with a shoulder mount.

A shoulder mount is much steadier then hand-holding and will allow you to move much easier while recording.

As it has been said if your arms were getting tired, your rig was never properly balanced and that defeated the purpose of it.

Ideal balancing means you can lay the rig on your shoulder and not have to hold it up. This gives the most stability.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

sponsored links
Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 05, 2011 05:34 |  #152

Yep, thanks to this thread I realized the balancing fact and have now grown to LOVE my shoulder rig. Once you balance that bad boy on your shoulder its an absolute dream to work with.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 05, 2011 11:26 |  #153

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #13052708 (external link)
The key here is balance.

the rig has to be balanced on your shoulder so that the camera is being carried only by your shoulder and the only thing your hands do is point the device and control the rings, sticks and/or buttons on the lens.

If you actually have to hold the camera, then you're doing it wrong!

Excellent point, this is why the majority of professional camcorders have a shoulder pad that can be adjusted fore and aft allowing the operator to achieve a perfectly balanced unit regardless of the lens on the front or the batteries and junk hung on the rear.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 06, 2011 14:14 |  #154

New addition (mic), very slowly growing rig! Although I'm not one who lusts for a complex DSLR rig really.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i411.photobucke​t.com …96/benesotor/DS​C01510.jpg (external link)

GwagDesigns
299 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 06, 2011 14:42 |  #155

USed this setup for shooting some skate video last week, I keep the camera slightly rotated but still balanced so I can attach the viewfinder for other shots.

IMAGE: http://www.gwagdesigns.com/photos/i-nwXLqn9/0/M/i-nwXLqn9-M.jpg

[7D] - [GF1 w/14mm f2.5] - 70-200f4L | 50mm f1.2L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 f2.8 | Sigma 18-50 f2.8[U]
davehintzphoto.com (external link) | Twitter (external link) | "Like" Me (external link) on FaceBook

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 09, 2011 16:00 |  #156

GwagDesigns wrote in post #13059900 (external link)
USed this setup for shooting some skate video last week, I keep the camera slightly rotated but still balanced so I can attach the viewfinder for other shots.

QUOTED IMAGE

what kind of grip is that attached to your camera?

Pierceclothier
100 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 16, 2011 00:03 |  #157

Fricks wrote in post #13077118 (external link)
what kind of grip is that attached to your camera?

Opteka X grip.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List: Canon 60D | Canon 400D + Battery Grip | 50mm 1.4 | 17-40mm F4 L | 200mm F2.8 II L (FOR SALE) | 430EX II
Wish-list: Beauty Dish | Fast and smaller then 50mm Lens

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 16, 2011 00:06 |  #158

Pierceclothier wrote in post #13111495 (external link)
Opteka X grip.

Trout ­ Bum
512 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 24, 2011 15:54 as a reply to  @ Fricks's post |  #159

Folks, how about including the specs about your gear when you post a pic of your rig. We won't have to ask "what make/brand/model was that ---- ?"

just a suggestion...

Mark
My photography website (external link)
My fine art website (external link)
My youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2011 16:13 |  #160

Just picked up a rode video mic today with a dead cat:D

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 24, 2011 17:12 |  #161

Finally got a chance to snap a couple photos of my Redrock Micro shoulder rig (low res phone camera shots, but you get the idea). It is very balanced, very stable and pretty comfortable to use. I have the Z-Finder on there now, but I have a SmallHD DP6 that I can use with it instead too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2011 19:29 |  #162

meh the more and more I use my gini rig the less I like it. The thing is a pain to balance (super super front heavy) and the included shoulder pad continues to rape my shoulder

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 24, 2011 19:33 |  #163

gibsonla wrote in post #13157367 (external link)
meh the more and more I use my gini rig the less I like it. The thing is a pain to balance (super super front heavy) and the included shoulder pad continues to rape my shoulder

Go Redrock Micro man. Much nicer IMO.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2011 19:35 |  #164

If you loan me a couple grand =p

Just dropped $1k on a DP6 so I'm broke again. Keep telling myself now I'm going to save my money and see what November 3rd brings insofar as announcements from RED and Canon. Though I doubt I can afford either camera whatever the price point may be.

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 24, 2011 19:37 |  #165

gibsonla wrote in post #13157393 (external link)
If you loan me a couple grand =p

Just dropped $1k on a DP6 so I'm broke again. Keep telling myself now I'm going to save my money and see what November 3rd brings insofar as announcements from RED and Canon. Though I doubt I can afford either camera whatever the price point may be.

Yea either of those are gonna be very expensive. I've been thinking of selling some stuff and saving for a Sony EX3... Have to wait and see what the RED Scarlet comes out at price range.

sponsored links

175,861 views & 9 likes for this thread
Show us your rigs!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.