Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 04:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your rigs!

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 07, 2011 10:53 |  #91

benesotor wrote in post #12175747 (external link)
Jeez you guys must have high standards... I hear the 701HD is a good panning head, until somebody says it's useless you need the 501HD... now I hear the 501HD is a bad panning head; not sure what to think now!

I have a Manfrotto 501 and find it to be a rather nice head very smooth to pan and tilt with however the camcorder we use with that head weighs about 14 pounds which is about 2/3 of it’s capacity and some of the problems folks may be having is under-loading the head.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

sponsored links
blindshooter
229 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 07, 2011 12:08 |  #92

sinjans wrote in post #12170344 (external link)
^ what lens is that?

Wasn't sure who you were asking but if for me, the lens is a 70-200 2.8 IS mkII

The LCD is the new Sony CLM-V55.

The monopod is the Manfrotto 562B with a 701HDV fluid head. What's really cool about this monopod is that the base has a small triad of extensions so this monopod can stand up on it's own but obviously with a ball joint on the bottom and a very usuable fluid head on top, it's meant for more flexability with support and rigidity.

I might still get a viewfinder for certain situations but wanted an external monitor first.

Now I'm hawking a rail rig with shoulder a comfy shoulder support that won't break the bank. I can't believe how much some people are asking for in such a simple design and structure.

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2011 13:55 |  #93

you guys need to try some higher-end video heads (sachtler, miller, vinten, cartoni, o'connor). every 75mm manfrotto head i've owned (501, 503, 505) has suffered horribly from 'stiction', the phenomena that occurs when the head is stationary, then, when a camera move is started, the head is briefly stuck, then jumps into the move, creating a jolt. you can work around this by vigorously moving the head around before each shot that requires a smooth camera move, effectively 'warming it up', but i can tell you it's a pain to deal with. higher end heads don't have this problem. the manfrotto heads are fine if all you're doing is locking them down, or recording once the camera move has already started, but with anything more complex, you're fighting your video head.

and the new vinten vision blue head is less than $700, and for just over $1100 you get the entire kit, including the rock steady pozi-loc tripod. for what you get, it's a fantastically-priced kit.

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 07, 2011 18:19 as a reply to  @ mizer357's post |  #94

Panasonic GH2
Redrock Micro Cage kit
Formatt matte box
Marshall V-LCD50 HDMI monitor

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5305/5568464115_480522174a_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

HansSteinert
419 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 07, 2011 18:53 |  #95

mizer357 wrote in post #12177622 (external link)
you guys need to try some higher-end video heads (sachtler, miller, vinten, cartoni, o'connor). every 75mm manfrotto head i've owned (501, 503, 505) has suffered horribly from 'stiction', the phenomena that occurs when the head is stationary, then, when a camera move is started, the head is briefly stuck, then jumps into the move, creating a jolt. you can work around this by vigorously moving the head around before each shot that requires a smooth camera move, effectively 'warming it up', but i can tell you it's a pain to deal with. higher end heads don't have this problem. the manfrotto heads are fine if all you're doing is locking them down, or recording once the camera move has already started, but with anything more complex, you're fighting your video head.

and the new vinten vision blue head is less than $700, and for just over $1100 you get the entire kit, including the rock steady pozi-loc tripod. for what you get, it's a fantastically-priced kit.

This might be a dumb question... but can you put a Vinten head on a Manfrotto tripod?

Betfair
90 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 07, 2011 19:11 |  #96

mizer357 wrote in post #12177622 (external link)

and you only buy for once...it lasts forever :)

My Gear

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2011 21:02 |  #97

HansSteinert wrote in post #12179258 (external link)
This might be a dumb question... but can you put a Vinten head on a Manfrotto tripod?

if your tripod takes a 75mm ball, it should be fine, but i suggest you compare the kit pozi-locs to your manfrotto legs. vinten pozi-locs are synonymous with stability, without the twisting and rebounding that goes with lesser legs, and would cost you almost $900 if you purchased them separately. i should add i am not a shill for vinten... i've been in video/film for almost 20 years, and i really like vinten supports. i like o'connors and sachtlers a lot too, but, to me, the vision blue at it's price point is an absolute no-brainer, as long as your camera falls into the 4-11 lb. range.

nice rig pmnd!

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2011 23:43 |  #98

Another vote for vinten if you can't get a sachtler. I used them from about 1993 until 2005 or so. Only reason I got into sachtlers is because now I am spending other peoples money. No way I would drop $8k of my own money on sticks.

I like the legs better on the vinten than the sachtler. Fast to adjust.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 08, 2011 08:04 |  #99

pnmd, looks great! Have you used canon bodies? Curious if you like the gh2 over the 5d/etc.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Trey ­ T
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 08, 2011 08:55 |  #100

yeah you can most head hav standard 3/8" thread attached to the bowl-mount. the bowl-mount is nothing more than a another fastener that give you the ability to level your camera

HansSteinert wrote in post #12179258 (external link)

10 Most overpaid job (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 08, 2011 10:55 |  #101

Chippy569 wrote in post #12182453 (external link)
pnmd, looks great! Have you used canon bodies? Curious if you like the gh2 over the 5d/etc.

thx Chippy! My friend has a 5D2 and we've shot with it. Haven't done real shoot with GH2 yet. I'm new to video. I got the GH2 b/c of 24p and soon learned that having 24p doesn't automatically give you a cinematic look lol. Ironically, I wanna do slow mo for music videos etc and then learned 60p is the way to go. FYI, with the GH2 when shooting 60p you can't use the HDMI monitor, the port is disabled when you plug in an HDMI cable, wtf, but with 24p works fine. The kit lens does have image stabilization which is decent. I plan to use it this weekend for a model video with my Glidecam. We'll see how it goes ;)

my Glidecam rig:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5140/5514228020_758cafea2a_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

robtk
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 08, 2011 13:55 |  #102

^^^ waiting on my hd2000 in the mail, where'd you get that forearm brace? how helpful is it?

5Dmkii ~ Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ~ Canon 35L

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 08, 2011 15:22 |  #103

pnmd wrote in post #12183330 (external link)
thx Chippy! My friend has a 5D2 and we've shot with it. Haven't done real shoot with GH2 yet. I'm new to video. I got the GH2 b/c of 24p and soon learned that having 24p doesn't automatically give you a cinematic look lol. Ironically, I wanna do slow mo for music videos etc and then learned 60p is the way to go. FYI, with the GH2 when shooting 60p you can't use the HDMI monitor, the port is disabled when you plug in an HDMI cable, wtf, but with 24p works fine. The kit lens does have image stabilization which is decent. I plan to use it this weekend for a model video with my Glidecam. We'll see how it goes ;)

my Glidecam rig:

Yeah good call, I don't think the 5DII even has a 60fps mode. I also have an HD1000, works great for a DSLR.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

HansSteinert
419 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 08, 2011 15:48 |  #104

Glidecam or Steadicam Merlin?

Which should I buy? Budget is under $800.

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 08, 2011 16:24 |  #105

robtk wrote in post #12184279 (external link)
^^^ waiting on my hd2000 in the mail, where'd you get that forearm brace? how helpful is it?

from BH. It's great if you have a heavy rig but I stopped using it b/c my GH2 is so lightweight. Also with the brace on you can't use your right hand until you take it off which takes awhile. Basically it'll help with arm fatigue on heavy rigs but don't think that it'll help balance the Glidecam ie you'll still have learn to walk smoothly, not make rapid turns etc. Also I've started using Mercalli (external link) in Final Cut Pro for further stablization, helps alot ;)

Kento wrote in post #12184732 (external link)
Yeah good call, I don't think the 5DII even has a 60fps mode. I also have an HD1000, works great for a DSLR.

yeah didn't know I needed 60fps, glad GH2 has it lol. Yeah HD1000 is the perfect size and weight for my setup. For me using my Glidecam is about getting quick footages and be done. No desire to put an external monitor, mic etc... just way too much to balance without the jacket.

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links

175,807 views & 9 likes for this thread
Show us your rigs!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.