Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first stolen photo - I feel so proud :)

BioSci
406 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2011 08:59 |  #1

Hi. I'm NOT a professional photographer, but I've been an avid enthusiast for decades. Way back in the mid 1990's, I was piloting a small plane over Boston and took some photos with a 35mm camera using ISO 25 professional film for best grain structure. Then I shipped the exposed film to Kodak for developing and high-resolution scanning onto a photo CD. Recently I put one of the best of these images at medium resolution onto PhotoBucket (see here (external link)) so I could share it with a few friends. Reading this forum, I discovered Tineye.com, and started checking images from my Photobucket album. To my amusement, I found that same photo posted in a Spanish photo web site, Photopaises (external link). I contacted them to enquire whether I could use that image commercially, and was told that it it was copyrighted, and that I absolutely had no right to use it. Of course I have no intentions (at present) of selling that image, but I'm honored that another web site should claim ownership. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Gripped 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400L | 17-55 f/2.8 | lots of misc stuff

Tyo Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
drumsfield
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 25, 2011 09:18 |  #2

Gotta be careful what you post on the internet.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

barkingspud
511 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 25, 2011 09:19 |  #3

Congratulations!

thetathink
194 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 25, 2011 09:24 |  #4

I got a question about tineye. Does it just search for the name of the file? So if they change the image file name, then Tineye can't find it? Seems that way from the description on the website. Also seems pretty dumb if people don't rename the image once they steal it.

portfolio (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,656 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2011 09:38 |  #5

thetathink wrote in post #12089840 (external link)
I got a question about tineye. Does it just search for the name of the file? So if they change the image file name, then Tineye can't find it? Seems that way from the description on the website. Also seems pretty dumb if people don't rename the image once they steal it.

Just searching a name would be useless, and would also cause false matches. I'm not sure how you got that idea after visiting their site. Did you read these pages:

http://www.tineye.com/​about (external link)
http://www.tineye.com/​faq (external link)

casp3r
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Mar 25, 2011 10:08 |  #6

And you're obviously going to contact them again about their double standards aren't you :)

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

BioSci
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2011 10:22 |  #7

casp3r wrote in post #12090139 (external link)
And you're obviously going to contact them again about their double standards aren't you :)

Why bother. As far as I can tell, they're not selling photos, just displaying images that others have uploaded. My guess is that somebody snagged my photo and then uploaded it to Photopaises, claiming ownership. That's happened to videos I've uploaded to Youtube as well. I accept this as a sign of approval of my creative work. It has no impact whatsover on me financially, since I don't earn any income from this. Life is too short to get bent out of shape from inconsequential improprieties.

Gripped 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400L | 17-55 f/2.8 | lots of misc stuff

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 25, 2011 13:02 |  #8

First of all you will need to learn how to speak Spanish ;) it is really not worth the effort to go after them.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

kona77
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 25, 2011 13:17 |  #9

I use Tineye as well but did a check of your photo and it shows it being used by pubs.usgs.gov and www.fotopaises.com (external link) as well. Good Luck.

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

BioSci
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2011 13:23 |  #10

kona77 wrote in post #12091197 (external link)
I use Tineye as well but did a check of your photo and it shows it being used by pubs.usgs.gov and www.fotopaises.com (external link) as well. Good Luck.

When I first posted that photo on my personal website in 1996, I received a request from the USGS to include it in their monograph on urban estuaries. I agreed to allow its use in return for a photo credit, which was honored. No problem with that use. They even gave me some color glossy copies of the publication.

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 25, 2011 13:24 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #11

How does the saying go?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

thetathink
194 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 25, 2011 14:35 |  #12

moose10101 wrote in post #12089930 (external link)
Just searching a name would be useless, and would also cause false matches. I'm not sure how you got that idea after visiting their site. Did you read these pages:

http://www.tineye.com/​about (external link)
http://www.tineye.com/​faq (external link)

I didn't read those pages, but if your search results in 0 matches, it shows a page with some reasons why. The below quote is listed along with other reasons.

"TinEye looks for the specific image you uploaded, not the content of the image. TinEye does not identify people or objects in an image."

portfolio (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,656 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 25, 2011 15:02 |  #13

thetathink wrote in post #12091695 (external link)
The below quote is listed along with other reasons.

"TinEye looks for the specific image you uploaded, not the content of the image. TinEye does not identify people or objects in an image."

Right, because their software doesn't know people or objects. It wouldn't match your photo of a person with another photo just because that same person was in it. It looks for similar bit patterns in the files.

noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 25, 2011 15:10 |  #14

So you're saying someone stole your photo and your happy about it?

SoonerPride316
66 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 25, 2011 15:12 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Kind of a double edged sword. I would make them stop but the publicity is nice

sponsored links

6,466 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first stolen photo - I feel so proud :)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.