Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 09:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D LCD Screen Protector

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 25, 2011 09:08 |  #1

OK - I know this has been discussed many times but -

I just got my new 7D and thought I'd check with the Canon Service Center on a replacement cover for the main LCD screen - just in case.

Guess what - they don't make one for the 7D - its the whole LCD that gets replaced - and it costs $118.39 currently. They did say that they do make a replacement "cover" for the top LCD screen - $7.15, but on the 7D rear screen you pull out the entire LCD, unplug it, and put the new one in.

They did agree that on some other bodies (like the 40D) there is a "cover" over the LCD and they run around $13.00.

This makes me rethink that $30.00 Giottos glass protector a little more.

If anyone knows something different, or has had to replace the 7D screen, please let me know. But this is what the Parts Department at the New Jersey service center told me - specific to the 7D - they even indicated there was a "note" in the parts listing about not having a cover over the screen.

sponsored links
nepali
974 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 25, 2011 10:11 |  #2

Honestly, I do not worry about what could happen to my 7D! There are millions of things that could happen to it. If it happens and when it happens, it will be fixed! ;) *knock on wood*

For example, you could protect the screen now but what if you drop your 7D? Should you get a body armor now? What if you get water in it somehow? Should you get a waterproof case? :D

[Current Gears: Sony α7 III | Sony 24-105mm ƒ/4 | Sony 85mm ƒ/1.8 | YN-560 III]
[Feedbacks: #1, #2]

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 25, 2011 10:27 as a reply to  @ nepali's post |  #3

I agree - things do happen.

Its just that I had heard that replacement "covers" were relatively cheap - but if the 7D requires the entire screen to be replaced at over $100 for the part (and maybe a trip to the Service Center) I just thought it was worth mentioning and see if the info I got was incorrect based on someone else's experience.

Mick5
244 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2011 14:11 as a reply to  @ Roxie2401's post |  #4

Lexerd from Amazon v v nice i have on my 7D and you cant tell there is protector shield on. iam happy with it.

http://www.amazon.co.u​k …ics&qid=1301080​175&sr=8-1 (external link)

HighPixel
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 25, 2011 21:42 |  #5

Both the 1DMkIII and the 5dMkII have Giottos screen covers on them. Better safe than sorry.

No longer actively shooting...
Canon EOS-1DMk.III
| Canon EOS-5DMk.II / BG-E6 | Canon 70-200 2.8LIS Mk.II | 24-70 2.8L | 16-35 2.8LII | Just all kinds of crap...|RonBaltazar.com (external link)

Bruce ­ Foreman
279 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 25, 2011 22:47 |  #6

Roxie2401 wrote in post #12089758 (external link)
This makes me rethink that $30.00 Giottos glass protector a little more.

I have the Giottos glass protector on my 7D and a similar glass product on the T2i. It stands a chance of absorbing impact first, no guarantee it will but it is worth it to me. I'm pretty careful about what may "impact" anywhere on my gear but there's no telling what may happen.

More practical to me is the protection it offers against scratches. You get some skin oil from the face on the LCD or the glass protector and in wiping it off you may trap some "grit" in the material you use. Better the scratch go on the protector than the LCD cover itself.

I haven't put anything like this on the 60D because there is a bit of "standoff" that looks like it could interfere with the "articulating" LCD being folded LCD inwards.

sponsored links

4,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D LCD Screen Protector
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.