Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 16, 2011 11:01 |  #211

roger1234 wrote in post #13110899 (external link)
You won't regret it. You won't regret Gitzo either unless you got a lemon. Thinking of the extra charge as insurance and better material/workmanship.

If you're a super-heavy-duty professional then I guess it won't make much difference - you'll wear out your tripod in 5 years let it be RRS or Gitzo - then the price saving make sense as long as you don't get a lemon.

I believe all the tripods in at the cost of RRS or Gitzo are similar, with minor differences. I was ok with my Gitzo 5561, three things got me to switch - weight (7.5 lbs), worrying about the head disconnecting with my camera on it and having to learn another language to communicate with the manufacturer. I moved to the RRS 34L, weight (4.5 lbs), locked head and if I want to talk to them I call California. I have no complaints, I haven't bothered digging out the receipts, but I believe the RRS tripod cost less than I paid for the Gitzo.

sponsored links
pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 16, 2011 12:38 |  #212

rick_reno wrote in post #13113302 (external link)
... and having to learn another language to communicate with the manufacturer.

:lol: I'm pretty sure a multi million dollar company like that has reps who speak the second most spoken language in the world ;)

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 16, 2011 13:58 |  #213

pixel_junkie wrote in post #13113804 (external link)
:lol: I'm pretty sure a multi million dollar company like that has reps who speak the second most spoken language in the world ;)

Dell computers does but they are hard to understand,,,,,,,,,,,,​,,, ;)

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2011 15:56 |  #214

roger1234 wrote in post #13110899 (external link)
You won't regret it. You won't regret Gitzo either unless you got a lemon. Thinking of the extra charge as insurance and better material/workmanship.

If you're a super-heavy-duty professional then I guess it won't make much difference - you'll wear out your tripod in 5 years let it be RRS or Gitzo - then the price saving make sense as long as you don't get a lemon.

With respect to Gitzo and RRS Im not sure that analogy is quite true seeing as how the RRS tripods only have a 5 year warranty and the Gitzos in the US have a lifetime. I still feel the RRS tripods should be the same if not lower priced than the Gitzos...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2011 16:00 |  #215

ben_r_ wrote in post #13114882 (external link)
With respect to Gitzo and RRS Im not sure that analogy is quite true seeing as how the RRS tripods only have a 5 year warranty and the Gitzos in the US have a lifetime. I still feel the RRS tripods should be the same if not lower priced than the Gitzos...

I can't think of one reason why they should be. RRS use machined aluminum where Gitzo uses plastic (not to mention the mechanical assembly engineered into the RRS stops, where the Gitzos don't have so much as a retaining spring). RRS use CF tubes that are more expensive to manufacture. RRS uses more robust fittings throughout, right down to the feet. And, the coup de grace, RRS are made in America, in California no less, where wages and costs are significantly higher.

No one is saying Ferraris aren't worth the premium, but sometimes a Bugatti comes along and you notice why it's even more.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2011 16:40 |  #216

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13114907 (external link)
I can't think of one reason why they should be. RRS use machined aluminum where Gitzo uses plastic (not to mention the mechanical assembly engineered into the RRS stops, where the Gitzos don't have so much as a retaining spring). RRS use CF tubes that are more expensive to manufacture. RRS uses more robust fittings throughout, right down to the feet. And, the coup de grace, RRS are made in America, in California no less, where wages and costs are significantly higher.

No one is saying Ferraris aren't worth the premium, but sometimes a Bugatti comes along and you notice why it's even more.

I see, and do agree I like what they did improve over Gitzos design. I guess that lifetime warranty just means more to me than some, though now I guess the higher cost is more justified in my mind.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 16, 2011 18:28 |  #217

I'm just uncertain why would a company that makes a product for so many years got superseded by a much smaller 1 by so much as claimed by users reported here and yet they are not doing anything to their price, materials etc. An I believe RRS is a distributor of gitzo?

RRS probably make more sense for photogs living near them. If RRS really wins gitzo by so much, I'm willing to pay the few hundreds dollars of extra freight charges to get it shipped to me. Gitzo is so much more cheaper here than I fly 1.

Gear Stuffs

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 16, 2011 19:04 as a reply to  @ Malsam's post |  #218

the lifetime warranty is only as good as it is to use it, how many years do they keep all of the parts for all of their tripods? 20 years? 30 years? 50 years? just asking how good is their lifetime warranty? who can say? lifetime can be a long time, parts and companies change,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2011 19:25 |  #219

Malsam wrote in post #13115522 (external link)
I'm just uncertain why would a company that makes a product for so many years got superseded by a much smaller 1 by so much as claimed by users reported here and yet they are not doing anything to their price, materials etc. An I believe RRS is a distributor of gitzo?

RRS probably make more sense for photogs living near them. If RRS really wins gitzo by so much, I'm willing to pay the few hundreds dollars of extra freight charges to get it shipped to me. Gitzo is so much more cheaper here than I fly 1.

I got my Gitzo coz it was on sale 2 months ago..infact it still is right now.... if the price was close (like $100 or so) I would have gotten the TVC-34L or TVC-24L myself... but seeing as Its $400 more than my 3541LS, I just can't justify the difference so went with the Gitzo :D

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2011 19:50 |  #220

Kyles wrote in post #13115644 (external link)
the lifetime warranty is only as good as it is to use it, how many years do they keep all of the parts for all of their tripods? 20 years? 30 years? 50 years? just asking how good is their lifetime warranty? who can say? lifetime can be a long time, parts and companies change,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

True, but even 10 years is worth more than five...

monk3y wrote in post #13115717 (external link)
I got my Gitzo coz it was on sale 2 months ago..infact it still is right now.... if the price was close (like $100 or so) I would have gotten the TVC-34L or TVC-24L myself... but seeing as Its $400 more than my 3541LS, I just can't justify the difference so went with the Gitzo :D

And yea same here. For me it would have been a big jump in price. And on top of that, had I gone with ONE RRS I wouldnt have been able to have the TWO gitzo/markins setups I have.

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 16, 2011 20:29 |  #221

exactly my point...price higher, product better thats fine. Interesting thing is Gitzo are selling equivalent models at lower price so I don't see why RRS models should not win. With USD dropping, even if I buy gitzo locally, my retailer price is still much better than I buy direct from RRS sold in the states in USD. You folks know things sold in US are now relatively cheaper than overseas right? Eg. the new fisheye lens? US RRP is like USD1500, in the country I'm residing, they are selling at around USD1900 (as at today's rate).

So u pay less, u get less. No complains. If you can't get the Gitzo equivalent models to the RRS you are eyeing at, get that RRS. If not like most of us, pay lesser and get a Gitzo which can easily last us for like...half a lifetime?

Gear Stuffs

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2011 20:33 |  #222

Malsam wrote in post #13115957 (external link)
exactly my point...price higher, product better thats fine. Interesting thing is Gitzo are selling equivalent models at lower price so I don't see why RRS models should not win. With USD dropping, even if I buy gitzo locally, my retailer price is still much better than I buy direct from RRS sold in the states in USD. You folks know things sold in US are now relatively cheaper than overseas right? Eg. the new fisheye lens? US RRP is like USD1500, in the country I'm residing, they are selling at around USD1900 (as at today's rate).

So u pay less, u get less. No complains. If you can't get the Gitzo equivalent models to the RRS you are eyeing at, get that RRS. If not like most of us, pay lesser and get a Gitzo which can easily last us for like...half a lifetime?

I'll tell you when I get old...I am just 28 right now...:lol:

I love buying from overseas right now :lol: its a lot cheaper than it used to be due to the exchange rate... :D I actually just bought a lens foot and L-bracket from RRS myself coz the difference is very small between RRS and Kirk.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 16, 2011 20:37 |  #223

No one's forcing you to buy the RRS tripod. Get a Gitzo if that's what you want.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 16, 2011 21:06 |  #224

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #13112513 (external link)
wear out?

a tripod should never "wear out" it's built for life in my opinion.

I thought heavy-duty professionals (like those in National Geographic) would have wear out their tripod as short as 5 years; I also hear others confirm this on other forums.

For us the random users then yes - it doesn't wear out even after new technology comes out, which I bet it won't be long anyway.:rolleyes:

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 16, 2011 21:14 |  #225

Much gear has consistently been better priced in the US than elsewhere. Ask the Brits who see the US price in $ and figure that's what it'll cost them in £ to buy locally.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

111,791 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.