Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 16, 2011 21:31 |  #226

you were right to a certain extend...it used to be the same when I add in freight charges. i.e once I ship it here, the difference will be negligible. And it make sense that it should be this way else everyone will be buying from the states. Now the difference is like...even if I pay full insurance, VAT and NBD freight, I would still save quite a bit. Of course I'm talking about those in hundreds and we consolidate our purchases to freight back in and not just random 1 item shopping. The administration is just not worth it.

I mostly buy stuffs from states because you guys have it first and we NEVER see them at all or even equivalent ones. Eg. I want to get a similar redhead windscreen that works and I can't find it anywhere in my country!

Gear Stuffs

sponsored links
Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 16, 2011 21:47 |  #227

ben_r_ wrote in post #13115812 (external link)
True, but even 10 years is worth more than five...

And yea same here. For me it would have been a big jump in price. And on top of that, had I gone with ONE RRS I wouldnt have been able to have the TWO gitzo/markins setups I have.

10 years is better if they fix the problem for free, i just doubt that RRS would not stand behind their products and not try to help out even after 5 years if it was a faulty tripod, it is not an issue for me at all, but then again they are both great tripod companies, they really are both great, but i chose RRS and could not be more pleased with my choice, it is not a right or wrong just one or the other between the two, which ever purchase allows you to sleep better after the purchase is the right choice, hopefully we can agree that it is a good thing that one company does not monopolize the market allowing for only one choice, if the price was the same how many more people would purchase RRS tripods?

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2011 21:52 |  #228

Kyles wrote in post #13116260 (external link)
10 years is better if they fix the problem for free, i just doubt that RRS would not stand behind their products and not try to help out even after 5 years if it was a faulty tripod, it is not an issue for me at all, but then again they are both great tripod companies, they really are both great, but i chose RRS and could not be more pleased with my choice, it is not a right or wrong just one or the other between the two, which ever purchase allows you to sleep better after the purchase is the right choice, hopefully we can agree that it is a good thing that one company does not monopolize the market allowing for only one choice, if the price was the same how many more people would purchase RRS tripods?

I do agree that there is another option out there. Competition is always a good thing. But the reason why its good usually is that we the consumer benefit in that prices go down! In this case, its only going to drive prices up! The more RRS gets for their tripods the sooner Gitzo or their US distributor gets wind of it and starts releasing their newer models at a matched increased price. Now, that being said, had RRS come out lower or matched price with Gitzo, I probably would have bought one seeing as how they sound like their are even better built. So Im sure LOTS would have gone with their gear. In fact, probably MORE if they were lower priced.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 16, 2011 21:55 |  #229

By the same token, if Gitzo tries to raise their prices, they'll just give more people a reason to buy the RRS tripods, thus hurting Gitzo's sales. The RRS tripods are lighter for the (essentially) same performance. Take away the price differential and who'd you go with?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2011 21:57 |  #230

Jon wrote in post #13116294 (external link)
By the same token, if Gitzo tries to raise their prices, they'll just give more people a reason to buy the RRS tripods, thus hurting Gitzo's sales. The RRS tripods are lighter for the (essentially) same performance. Take away the price differential and who'd you go with?

Hmm, you might be right, it could def go that way too. And like I said, had I been able to get the TVC-33 for the $580 I got the 3541LS for, yea, Im almost sure I would have gotten the RRS.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2011 23:06 |  #231

Kyles wrote in post #13116260 (external link)
...if the price was the same how many more people would purchase RRS tripods

I don't know the answer to that but as they are priced now RRS has a hard time maintaining stock, so I don't think "pricing them cheaper to better compete" will enter into their minds any time soon.

I find the conversation about the price of RRS products (which these threads ALWAYS sprial down into) kinda odd considering RRS is finding it difficult to keep these things on the shelf. You may think the prices are high but objective evidence suggests they are not high enough.

ben_r_ wrote in post #13116302 (external link)
And like I said, had I been able to get the TVC-33 for the $580 I got the 3541LS for, yea, Im almost sure I would have gotten the RRS.

You and the rest of the free world. :)

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2011 23:40 |  #232

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13116606 (external link)
I don't know the answer to that but as they are priced now RRS has a hard time maintaining stock, so I don't think "pricing them cheaper to better compete" will enter into their minds any time soon.

I find the conversation about the price of RRS products (which these threads ALWAYS sprial down into) kinda odd considering RRS is finding it difficult to keep these things on the shelf. You may think the prices are high but objective evidence suggests they are not high enough.

Yea that MIGHT mean something, but then it might just be creating a false demand as a marketing technique. We the consumer will never know. For all we know, they could be ONLY producing 100 tripods at a time and always appear sold out. Keep in mind RRS got bought out. They are not the Husband and Wife company they started out as. Who knows what this new corporation that now owns them is pulling. Just a thought.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2011 23:49 |  #233

ben_r_ wrote in post #13116722 (external link)
Yea that MIGHT mean something, but then it might just be creating a false demand as a marketing technique. We the consumer will never know. For all we know, they could be ONLY producing 100 tripods at a time and always appear sold out. Keep in mind RRS got bought out.

That's a fair point. But if they are only producing 100 of them then they are CERTAINLY priced too low. Donning a tinfoil hat of my own, I'd suggest that maybe they are producing millions of them and only marking their website as sold out and when people call inquiring about stock they say something like, "Oops, I found one last TVC-24L behind the dead Martian body we're keeping from the public, do you want it? $935, please."

They are not the Husband and Wife company they started out as. Who knows what this new corporation that now owns them is pulling. Just a thought.

It's still very much a husband and wife company. Joe and Joan Johnson may even be more sticklers for quality than Bryan and Kathy Geyer ever were. And that's saying something. Joe is absolutely obsessed with it.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 17, 2011 00:04 |  #234

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13116760 (external link)
That's a fair point. But if they are only producing 100 of them then they are CERTAINLY priced too low. Donning a tinfoil hat of my own, I'd suggest that maybe they are producing millions of them and only marking their website as sold out and when people call inquiring about stock they say something like, "Oops, I found one last TVC-24L behind the dead Martian body we're keeping from the public, do you want it? $935, please."

lol, yea thats probably more accurate, but you got my point. I always wonder about stuff like that ya know? They could just be gauging the market too, producing low numbers and they might figure that if they can sell the few numbers they are producing for high cost and people seem to like them and theres a large desire, then they can then do the run of a million or whatever, which lowers their production costs, then they can still sell them to us for the same price and they make more profit. The business model isnt always to make a profit upfront. Look at amazon.com. FOUR YEARS of loss WAS their business plan. Then on the fifth year they were to make a profit.

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 17, 2011 01:48 |  #235

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13116606 (external link)

You and the rest of the free world. :)

I was not suggesting that they lower their prices, I am pleased with my purchase, very pleased! ;)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2011 05:27 as a reply to  @ Kyles's post |  #236

Was just taking your comment further. Piggy-backing, I guess. :)

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2011 09:55 |  #237

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13116760 (external link)
It's still very much a husband and wife company. Joe and Joan Johnson may even be more sticklers for quality than Bryan and Kathy Geyer ever were. And that's saying something. Joe is absolutely obsessed with it.

I like it that when I ring them up Joe will often answer the phone. If there is a Mr. Gitzo, I sure as hell never talked to him.

Regarding pricing - I had a Gitzo 5561. I still can't find the receipt for it, but they sell for right around $1299. It supported 55 lbs and it weighed 7.5 lbs.

I replaced it with a RRS TVC-34L, supports 50 lbs and weights 4.7 lbs. Cost is $1045, and I don't have to add a $100 Apex locking thing to it. Better deal? It was for me.

I kept the 34L and sold my Gitzo.

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 17, 2011 09:56 |  #238

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13117460 (external link)
Was just taking your comment further. Piggy-backing, I guess. :)

anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2011 10:01 as a reply to  @ Indecent Exposure's post |  #239

Another thought ... I'm curious because I don't see many people comment on that, maybe it is just me ... Do any of you have the height of the tripod as a priority when choosing a tripod?

And by that I mean that to me it is vital that the tripod unfolds at its max height (without center column extended if it has one) and puts the view finder of my camera right in front of my eyes so I don't have to bend up or down at all and can just get going with the photo taking. That way, I only have to worry about extending the legs fully and then I know that the tripod is going to sit perfectly level at the right height for me. Sometimes I only have couple of minutes to take a shot, I don't want to have another thing to worry about such as adjusting and making a tripod perfectly level on a tripod that is too tall for me when fully extended.

Currently, the only brand that offers tripod legs that unfold at the perfect height for me is Manfrotto (around 56"). But like I said, I see people comment on just about every other feature when picking a tripod.

That is why I sold my RRS tripod. I'm almost 6f tall and the TVC33 put my camera at a level where if I wanted to see the top window of my camera, I would have to unmount it from the tripod, there was no other way.

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 17, 2011 10:02 |  #240

rick_reno wrote in post #13118109 (external link)
I like it that when I ring them up Joe will often answer the phone. If there is a Mr. Gitzo, I sure as hell never talked to him.

Regarding pricing - I had a Gitzo 5561. I still can't find the receipt for it, but they sell for right around $1299. It supported 55 lbs and it weighed 7.5 lbs.

I replaced it with a RRS TVC-34L, supports 50 lbs and weights 4.7 lbs. Cost is $1045, and I don't have to add a $100 Apex locking thing to it. Better deal? It was for me.

I kept the 34L and sold my Gitzo.

Exactly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the extra cost to secure the Gitzo plate was the main reason I carefully considered the RRS over the Gitzo, makes no sense to me AT ALL for a tripod in that price range to need additional anything to hold gear in place securely,

sponsored links

111,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.