Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 17, 2011 10:48 |  #241

pixel_junkie wrote in post #13118130 (external link)
Another thought ... I'm curious because I don't see many people comment on that, maybe it is just me ... Do any of you have the height of the tripod as a priority when choosing a tripod?

And by that I mean that to me it is vital that the tripod unfolds at its max height (without center column extended if it has one) and puts the view finder of my camera right in front of my eyes so I don't have to bend up or down at all and can just get going with the photo taking. That way, I only have to worry about extending the legs fully and then I know that the tripod is going to sit perfectly level at the right height for me. Sometimes I only have couple of minutes to take a shot, I don't want to have another thing to worry about such as adjusting and making a tripod perfectly level on a tripod that is too tall for me when fully extended.

Currently, the only brand that offers tripod legs that unfold at the perfect height for me is Manfrotto (around 56"). But like I said, I see people comment on just about every other feature when picking a tripod.

That is why I sold my RRS tripod. I'm almost 6f tall and the TVC33 put my camera at a level where if I wanted to see the top window of my camera, I would have to unmount it from the tripod, there was no other way.

Did you ever consider leaving the bottom section extended at the proper height but collapsing the others completely? Unless you have transportation length issues that usually works fine. You can always mark the bottom sections to the correct height as well. I doubt that many people can actually find a tripod that is at the exact height they need when fully extended. That's why they are adjustable. I almost always use mine outdoors on uneven ground. There is no set height for me, it's all over the place. I survive.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

sponsored links
Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 17, 2011 11:01 |  #242

I know manfrotto has the neotec range that does not require much adjustment and it would fit perfectly the height you wanted it to. I own the monopod version, and besides its folded up length, weight and price, its the best monopod I have to date. The tripod PJ was mentioning is my choice of tripod as well, but given the same 3 factor, I can't find myself to get it.

For gitzo, I'm not sure about the apex thingy. I have been hearing this for so many years but gitzo is still not doing anything about it. What I do love about gitzo is the shorter folded up length, considering the 3541LS to equivalent RRS models. But if you need absolutely the 5 series, than I probably go for RRS as well.

Gear Stuffs

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 19, 2011 20:19 |  #243

Malsam wrote in post #13118303 (external link)
What I do love about gitzo is the shorter folded up length, considering the 3541LS to equivalent RRS models. But if you need absolutely the 5 series, than I probably go for RRS as well.

I agree 3541LS does have the best fold-length to height ratio so far - RRS cleverly position its 24x series shorter and taller. However if they did made it a equivalent model I will be all over it.

pixel: As long as the tripod is equal or taller than your eye sight it is better just remember or mark the lowest section - or as lucid suggested.

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2011 16:37 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #244

Can anyone who handle both TVC-2x and 3x share their thoughts? :D

I am debating TVC-24L vs. TVC-34L right now~!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 07, 2011 21:58 |  #245

I've got the 34L, very happy with it. You could get them both and send the one back you don't want to keep.

jbustillo
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 07, 2011 22:02 |  #246

I am too debating on the 33 and a 23

Any sugentions ??

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2011 22:05 |  #247

rick_reno wrote in post #13219875 (external link)
I've got the 34L, very happy with it. You could get them both and send the one back you don't want to keep.

Too bad I don't have enough cash so far... :o I asked similar question before they send out TVC-24 but they end up answer it afterwards; even though RRS engineers answer with a very informative, detailed technical reply, but I'm still stuck with "which one works better for me, now and near future" question....

Another problem is that 24L and 34L is almost always out of stock, even if I got money to get 34L it won't guaranteed arrive before their 30d exchange/return of the 24L ends.

Edited: What are the largest lenses/camera combo most TVC-2X users are comfortable with? BTW I'm using Markins M20

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 08, 2011 10:09 |  #248

roger1234 wrote in post #13219903 (external link)
Too bad I don't have enough cash so far... :o I asked similar question before they send out TVC-24 but they end up answer it afterwards; even though RRS engineers answer with a very informative, detailed technical reply, but I'm still stuck with "which one works better for me, now and near future" question....

Another problem is that 24L and 34L is almost always out of stock, even if I got money to get 34L it won't guaranteed arrive before their 30d exchange/return of the 24L ends.

Edited: What are the largest lenses/camera combo most TVC-2X users are comfortable with? BTW I'm using Markins M20

Have you tried giving them a call and describing what you want to do? I've found they're very helpful, and will not BS you into buying something you might not like. It's a very good company to deal with. Give them a ring, often the CEO (Joe) answers the phone. He's a photographer and will be happy to help you.

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 08, 2011 13:01 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #249

Edit from below:

Contacted them to see what they reply. Haven't have the honor to meet "Joe" over the phone once. Some strict about having to return tripod within 30days period. Many positive experience but once having a sale that eager to help but did not consider stability aspect of the tripod.

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 08, 2011 17:01 |  #250

roger1234 wrote in post #13221821 (external link)
I don't know but I will keep trying, maybe I am just not that lucky

For all the calls I made to RRS in my life, I don't think Joe answer it even once; most of the time they're strict about their policy without giving much even if I really needs help. (maybe Joe is the only person that has such authorization)

Other times I got sales that I know now that they don't have much clue about the technical side of their product. I remembered when I first call to buy TVC-24 (now selling) question and one lady says "No problem~! It is rated at 18kg so no problem for 500/4 (or anything - not sure if she also say so)~!!"

Gosh I hope she can be more professional...

This makes no sense. How many times have you called RRS in your life? So what Joe never answered when you call. You have no right to that expectation. However, he has answered a few times when I have called, and I haven't called them that many times in my life. I personally don't care who answers the phone. I have yet to talk to anyone at RRS who either couldn't answer a question or wouldn't find someone that could. I find their customer service to be top notch just like their products. I got on a waiting list for the tripod I wanted and the communication I received about the expected ship date was dead on allowing me to receive it in time for a big trip. And what policy are you referring to?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 08, 2011 19:14 |  #251

roger1234 wrote in post #13221821 (external link)
I don't know but I will keep trying, maybe I am just not that lucky

For all the calls I made to RRS in my life, I don't think Joe answer it even once; most of the time they're strict about their policy without giving much even if I really needs help. (maybe Joe is the only person that has such authorization)

Other times I got sales that I know now that they don't have much clue about the technical side of their product. I remembered when I first call to buy TVC-24 (now selling) question and one lady says "No problem~! It is rated at 18kg so no problem for 500/4 (or anything - not sure if she also say so)~!!"

Gosh I hope she can be more professional...

I've called maybe 6-10 times, I've talked to Joe a few times and someone named Mark the rest. Both have been very helpful. Don't know what to say other than good luck in picking a tripod.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 09, 2011 00:01 |  #252

I most often talk to Mark but everyone who's ever answered the phone has been professional and exceedingly helpful - if not downright enthusiastic about answering my questions or offering further insight.

It may sound like a broken record at this point but RRS's customer service is the standard against what all others are measured.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 09, 2011 11:40 |  #253

roger1234 wrote in post #13223848 (external link)
Ten? Twenty? Never meet Joe over the phone yet and I don't expect it. Seriously didn't I said "I'm just not lucky"? Do you think I'm just blaming everyone in RRS because of my luck? No - I am only sharing my experience; if that tickle your brand loyalty then leave it, I don't care.

To others yes, I knew I just didn't get professional answer that once before I purchase, but did get technical answer recently from Verent that is informative but I was unable to nail down 24L vs. 34L from the information yet.

Carla and Jim always willing to help but they are more strict on their policy from our personal conversation. I'll see if they can help me compare them more easily next Monday.

I have to say I find it interesting that the rest of who have called (and posted) have had positive experiences with RRS phone answerers. You apparently have not. I have to wonder why? I don't know what "policy" you continue making reference too, but since it's clear a sore point with you maybe you should look elsewhere for a tripod. Gitzo makes nice tripods, I had one. They might have policies that are more agreeable to you.

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 09, 2011 11:45 |  #254

roger1234 wrote in post #13223848 (external link)
Ten? Twenty? Never meet Joe over the phone yet and I don't expect it. Seriously didn't I said "I'm just not lucky"? Do you think I'm just blaming everyone in RRS because of my luck? No - I am only sharing my experience; if that tickle your brand loyalty then leave it, I don't care.

To others yes, I knew I just didn't get professional answer that once before I purchase, but did get technical answer recently from Verent that is informative but I was unable to nail down 24L vs. 34L from the information yet.

Carla and Jim always willing to help but they are more strict on their policy from our personal conversation. I'll see if they can help me compare them more easily next Monday.

Brand loyalty has nothing to do with it. I don't really have brand loyalty. I bought what I thought was the best tripod for my money. If it had been XYZ brand, so be it. I don't care if you buy their tripod or any tripod for that matter.

My problem is you spewing stuff online about a company that makes no sense. It is not even intelligible. What is the mysterious policy that you keep referring to? You know, the one where they aren't allowed to give you something though you really need it. Seriously, what does that even mean.

If you are trying to make a case against their customer service because you had a bad experience, fine. Do a better job of it, please.

jbustillo
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 09, 2011 11:46 |  #255

For those of you who have a tripod that's taller than your favorite tripod height, how do you put a mark on the tripod legs to know how much too pull the legs out?

sponsored links

111,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.