Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 19, 2012 23:51 |  #331

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14111525 (external link)
Congrats!

Thanks! :cool:

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14111620 (external link)
Also, today I received the new RRS TQB-89 tripod bag. It's the largest size available and should be perfect for when I add a leveling base and clamp to the top of my TVC-33. The upgrades RRS made to the bags are substantial. This is the design the TQB-80 was supposed to be in the first place.

All of the quality is carried over - substantial padding and zippers with over-sized teeth, roped pulls, etc. (Though I feel the action of the Gitzo bags to be smoother, the RRS zipper is every bit as robust.) The added side pouch, also featuring a robust zipper (not as large as the main zipper) with large, easy to use pulls, is a very welcome addition. The side ID slot is behind a clear protective screen and hidden underneath a velcro'd flap. There is now also a mesh zippered pouch inside the quiver top, under the embossed RRS logo. These added pouched are all smart, practical, and needed changes!

Oh, and the top handles are a godsend. Why they were ever left off the first iteration is beyond me, but better late than never.

If you remember my rant earlier in this thread regarding what I considered to be shortcomings with the RRS bag, those shortcomings have ALL been addressed, point for point, and a little extra thrown in on the side.

I am now happy RRS tripod bag user.

Awesome to hear! I'm debating on this extra large bag or wait for the Large 82 bag. I could get the X Large bag to house my g/f's Manfrotto along with the RRS. My shoulder/back aches just from thinking of carrying two tripods plus camera gear :oops:

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2012 09:46 |  #332

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14117334 (external link)
Thanks! :cool:

Awesome to hear! I'm debating on this extra large bag or wait for the Large 82 bag. I could get the X Large bag to house my g/f's Manfrotto along with the RRS. My shoulder/back aches just from thinking of carrying two tripods plus camera gear :oops:

Your shoulder? My God man, you've got a girlfriend who has a shoulder, let her carry stuff like that. Here's an example of how "we" (the royal we) carry my 34L. Show her this photo if you must, they're easily trainable with pictures. Unfortunately that weekend she was on call at the local hospital and was on that phone all the time, and not two steps behind me where she could pass me the tripod in an instant.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 20, 2012 10:59 |  #333

Haha

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

jskwarek
196 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 25, 2012 19:41 |  #334

Is the BH-55 compatible with the TVC-23? My current order is the TVC-23, additional TA-2-QC quick column and a BH-55 head. I'll be shooting with a gripped 5D and 17-40L.

TIA,
Jason

ABOUT ME (external link)
C&C Always Welcome

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 25, 2012 20:38 |  #335

jskwarek wrote in post #14152383 (external link)
Is the BH-55 compatible with the TVC-23? My current order is the TVC-23, additional TA-2-QC quick column and a BH-55 head. I'll be shooting with a gripped 5D and 17-40L.

TIA,
Jason

I'm sure it'll work. I think somewhere in this thread there might be a picture of those two together. If you're in the states, give them a ring tomorrow morning, they're very helpful folks when I call. They mate that tripod up with the BH-40 in their packages, my guess is the base fits it without the overlap you'd likely have with the 55 head.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 25, 2012 20:44 |  #336

jskwarek wrote in post #14152383 (external link)

TIA,
Jason

Found the picture, it's on page 11 of this thread, about 1/2 way down. There are a couple of them showing the tVC-23 with the BH-55 head, posted by bpalermini.

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 25, 2012 20:51 |  #337

rick_reno wrote in post #14152741 (external link)
Found the picture, it's on page 11 of this thread, about 1/2 way down. There are a couple of them showing the tVC-23 with the BH-55 head, posted by bpalermini.

Yup, they work great together.

Bob Palermini
R6, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200L IS 2.8, 100-400L II, 400L 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 11, 2012 21:23 as a reply to  @ bpalermini's post |  #338

I would really love to hear some suggestions and opinions from owners of TQC-14.

The tripod was not in my radar since I owned 34L, and I felt that RRS's strength are on their heavier tripods. The bent spider-leg joint of my regular Chinese made traveler tripod let me felt like an upgrade is inevitable in the near future.

I personally felt that the weakness of TQC-14 from paper is obvious - price and fold length. But the video showing RRS owner hanging on the tripod for 2 second let me felt that the strong construction may be worth a look.

Anyone sharing their experience on using this traveler tripod>> :o

BTW a bit out of topic - I hear the CF tube pattern has changed in the newer tripods? (2012)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 12, 2012 01:58 |  #339

I can't speak for the Travel tripod as I own the TVC-33.

roger1234 wrote in post #14250936 (external link)
BTW a bit out of topic - I hear the CF tube pattern has changed in the newer tripods? (2012)

I also can not speak on past CF weave pattern. BUT, I will say being a car enthusiast I have seen many different variations of carbon fiber. I will say the RRS weave on my TVC-33 is by far the most beautiful CF I have ever seen. I have shown the tripod to 2 other car enthusiasts who also stated the RRS weave / quality is the best they've ever seen.

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 12, 2012 02:01 |  #340

roger1234 wrote in post #14250936 (external link)

If it has I can't tell by looking at the just received 2012 Spring catalog. They look the same as my 2010 TVC-33.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 12, 2012 03:19 |  #341

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14251868 (external link)
I can't speak for the Travel tripod as I own the TVC-33.

I also can not speak on past CF weave pattern. BUT, I will say being a car enthusiast I have seen many different variations of carbon fiber. I will say the RRS weave on my TVC-33 is by far the most beautiful CF I have ever seen. I have shown the tripod to 2 other car enthusiasts who also stated the RRS weave / quality is the best they've ever seen.

Beautiful indeed~ The news is from reading stuff in online forum (FM forum maybe?) when one of their member mentioned a tube weave pattern change. :rolleyes: Seems like their tube source change its pattern~ so a pure cosmetic change - nevertheless I would love to see a photo of it~

PS: I would be more interested in some nice review of TQC-14 though~

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 12, 2012 10:15 |  #342

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14251868 (external link)
I will say the RRS weave on my TVC-33 is by far the most beautiful CF I have ever seen. I have shown the tripod to 2 other car enthusiasts who also stated the RRS weave / quality is the best they've ever seen.

I think RRS source their CF from Rock West Composites (external link).

roger1234 wrote in post #14252010 (external link)
I would be more interested in some nice review of TQC-14 though~

Me too although I don't know that anyone here has bought that model yet.

~Peter

ede.duembel
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 25, 2012 06:52 |  #343

Hi folks, my first posting here and I have (as a Nikon user) just registered because of this fred. First of all thanks for the provided information and comparisons.

I have just today traded my GT3541LS against a RRS TVC-24 including the center column kit. Got the tripod today and right now both tripods wait in the trunk for the evening light (I am not telling you where the car stands, though ;-)a).

As I was able to exchange the two (sold mine and got the RRS used) with only topping up the 20 EUR cash to pay for the RRS package I thought this is a no brainer for me. Thanks to the high price of the GT3542LS I was able to get a good price for my used GT3541LS.

Now I have a fully grown tripod that fits into my carry on luggage and enables me to take a real tripod on buisiness trips. The GT3541LS simply would not fit in a reasonable sized business suitcase.

Of course I will be missing the 20 cm lost height from time to time, but as always with tripods there is nothing without compromise. And I have now the option of a center column which I never had apart from a Giottos tripod in the past. On the Giottos it was utterly unusable. I find the RRS center column reasonable stable. At least better than expected. For me the center columns was a pretty much free add on which I negotiated into the package in the last minute at a very good price.

And on business trips I will be delighted with the extra 60 cm of height against my current travel tripod, the Berlebach Minimax (external link) (a very nice tripod by the way, perfect for Makros or a tripod just in case you may need one).

I am already looking forward to using this nice piece of equipment from RRS.
regards
ede

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 25, 2012 08:46 |  #344

Ede,

Sounds like a good move. I went from a Gitzo to the RRS too, my swap saved a few pounds and I've been very pleased with the RRS tripod.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 25, 2012 08:54 |  #345

Welcome to the forum Ede! I'm not a Canon user either. :) You traded your 3541LS at a very opportune time, I'm sure the ridiculous street prices for the new Gitzo models will be down to the older model levels in a few months. I use a 3541LS and I can see your rationale for the change, the RRS is almost 3 inches shorter folded. You'll need to use that center column though as I think the max height of the TVC-24 is only about 50 inches.

If you only want to use one tripod the TVC-24 or a series-2 Gitzo makes sense. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about the experience of using a RRS tripod from the perspective of a (former) Gitzo user. Good luck with your new tripod!

~Peter

sponsored links

111,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.