Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

ede.duembel
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 25, 2012 15:15 |  #346

peter_n wrote in post #14325709 (external link)
Welcome to the forum Ede! ....

thanks for the welcome

peter_n wrote in post #14325709 (external link)
If you only want to use one tripod the TVC-24 or a series-2 Gitzo makes sense. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about the experience of using a RRS tripod from the perspective of a (former) Gitzo user. Good luck with your new tripod!

no, it will not be the only one. But certainly the main one. Besides this one there are the Leica 14100, Berlebach Mini, Berlebach Minimax and a GM5541 Monopod.

The Gitzo Gilux total is already sold, I got this one as a travel tripod bigger than the Minimax, but now the TVC 24 is portable enough. I will yet have to find out if I will get happy with the center stud. I imagine for table - product photography it is quite handy, of course also to reach higher here or there but I will find out. So far I was happy without a center stud.

With regards to a fully grown tripod I think that there will be a time when that will find its way to me again as well. But a) I can wait for the right used opportunity now and b) I can be relaxed with regards to folded size length and weight aslong as I keep the TVC24. Maybe it will actualle be a wooden tripod again, or e 3-segmented Gitzo (RRS will be quite pricey and are very rarely offered used).

regards
ede

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 25, 2012 16:39 |  #347

rick_reno wrote in post #14325677 (external link)
Ede,

Sounds like a good move. I went from a Gitzo to the RRS too, my swap saved a few pounds and I've been very pleased with the RRS tripod.

A few POUNDS?! What did you go from and to?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 27, 2012 22:45 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #348

RRS Tripod bag

Any news on the new RRS tripod bags? Spring is here and the new bags are supposed to be as well :cool:

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

A.Christopher
392 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 28, 2012 01:00 |  #349

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14341945 (external link)
Any news on the new RRS tripod bags? Spring is here and the new bags are supposed to be as well :cool:

I ordered the TQB-72 Medium Bag (for my TVC-24L and BH-55LR) and received it on April 10th. I haven't really got to check it out yet but seems excellent and well designed. Which bag are you looking for?

Adam Christopher
www.adamchristopher.ne​t (external link)
Gear List

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2012 03:52 |  #350

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14341945 (external link)

They've been out for a few months or so. We discussed them a few pages back, IIRC.

Long story short, they were worth the wait.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 28, 2012 06:49 |  #351

A.Christopher wrote in post #14342373 (external link)
I ordered the TQB-72 Medium Bag (for my TVC-24L and BH-55LR) and received it on April 10th. I haven't really got to check it out yet but seems excellent and well designed. Which bag are you looking for?

I am looking for the large replacement bag, which I believe should be model TQB-82B.

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14342656 (external link)
They've been out for a few months or so. We discussed them a few pages back, IIRC.

Long story short, they were worth the wait.

The current Large model on RRS's site is TQB-80B. A google search shows this bag has been available since 2009.

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2012 09:41 |  #352

ben_r_ wrote in post #14328317 (external link)
A few POUNDS?! What did you go from and to?

Gitzo 5541L (6.3 lbs) to RRS 34L 4.7 lbs. The weight reduction is noticeable if I'm wandering around with it for hours, in and out of the car it wouldn't matter.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2012 14:56 |  #353

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14342887 (external link)
The current Large model on RRS's site is TQB-80B. A google search shows this bag has been available since 2009.

The TQB-80 was out for a while, but it's now discontinued. The "B" version started shipping in February of this year, or thereabouts, and adds many features, like internal pouch, external pouch, top handles, and ID slot. The largest of the new line is the 89, which doesn't have a B as it's the first of that size. But it too has all the new features of the B bag.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

mirekti
38 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 26, 2012 23:46 |  #354

I'm considering 23 or 24L. As I'm 6.3 I believe 24L would suit me better. On the other hand I believe 23 is more stable due to 3 sections not 4.
Could somebody measure the height of 24L when only 3 sections are extracted? Is it the same as 23 in height?

DavidR
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 27, 2012 06:48 |  #355

mirekti wrote in post #15293933 (external link)
I'm considering 23 or 24L. As I'm 6.3 I believe 24L would suit me better. On the other hand I believe 23 is more stable due to 3 sections not 4.
Could somebody measure the height of 24L when only 3 sections are extracted? Is it the same as 23 in height?

I don't own the these tripods but my experiences between 3 and 4 section, the 24L would be considerably shorter with only 3 sections extended. For a definite answer you should give RRS a call.

Although the 3 section will be sturdier than the 4 section it would be very minimal and if you need the extra height I would recommend going with the 24L. The main reason I prefer a 3 section tripod is for the quicker setup time.

Sony a9II

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 27, 2012 07:12 |  #356

DavidR wrote in post #15294604 (external link)
Although the 3 section will be sturdier than the 4 section it would be very minimal...

Yes with modern twist leg locks the differential if any is very small. You'll be fine with a 4 leg section tripod from a quality manufacturer.

~Peter

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2012 07:42 |  #357

mirekti wrote in post #15293933 (external link)

gotta wait about 10-11 hours...but I can do

Early Adopter

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2012 19:10 |  #358

with a reasonable leg width and the bottom legs up.. I have 53 inches to the top.. with my BH55 it's nearly 57.. which is probably perfect for someone 5"9 5"10 with a camera on it..no stooping.
RRS has the 23 listed at 52.4... so yes about the same for 24L with 3 leg sections.

Early Adopter

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 11, 2012 01:52 as a reply to  @ post 14117334 |  #359

Anyone here have any comments on the RRS TFA-01 Pocket 'Pod? Looks like a decent table top tripod.

Jensgt
908 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

May 28, 2013 11:23 |  #360

People with a TV-33s how tall are you? I am 5'6 ...so well under 6 feet but I don't want to be bending down all the time...so I am trying to decide between the s model and the regular model. If the s is ok for people my height I'd like to go with it, lighter weight. I am thinking of doing an Arca-Swiss Z1 head with the RRS QR lever clamp. I have a 7d ungripped.

1Dx 7D 500 f4L 70-200 f2.8L II 24-70 f2.8L II 100 f2.8L IS Macro 85 1.2L II
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jenniferallwin​e/ (external link)

sponsored links

111,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.