Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2011 12:36 |  #46

peter_n wrote in post #12124916 (external link)
Congrats on your new legs! I bought a Gitzo systematic recently and I'm impressed with the stability. I've had it out in pretty strong winds and the pix have been tack sharp. I'm sure you'll find the same.

BTW for anyone interested in Neil's TVC-33/3541LS comparison on Nikonians mentioned by Roger above in post #42 here's an accessible link to Neil's summary post (external link).

That was an interesting read when it came out and one I checked out when looking into the TVC-33. RRS's reports show the exact opposite. So we have RRS, who sells tripod saying theirs are superior, and we have Nikonians, who sell tripods, saying the ones they stock are superior.

Of all the 3rd parties that have done extensive reviews of tripods, though admittedly there are just a few for RRS's tripods, the Nikonians review is the only one that doesn't objectively find the RRS to be superior in every way important to camera stability.

I'm not saying his findings are inaccurate or designed to intentionally mislead, but they probably should be kept in context.

For anyone thinking about playing in the stratosphere of tripod products, don't dismiss Neil's review, but don't rely on it either.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links
Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2011 12:37 |  #47

Kyles wrote in post #12124550 (external link)
I just received my new Gitzo tripod; all things considered I am pleased and know either RRS or Gitzo equals “quality”. I do still find this topic interesting and staying on top of the comparisons is helpful. The determining factor for me after reading these post and others was simply “most experience making their pro caliber tripods with the reputation to back it up”; I would have been pleased probably either way. I do like the fact that RRS is trying to make the highest quality tripods that they can and that they are concerned with quality on every level of their product. This is great for all photographers.

Best wishes, Kyle

Nice! Good choice, you will not be disappointed.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 30, 2011 14:31 |  #48

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #12125016 (external link)
That was an interesting read when it came out and one I checked out when looking into the TVC-33.

Yes I only saw it for the first time today and thought it was interesting. I'm not sure if there's a conflict of interest or not but tripods are one thing that seem to be very personal. It's so much better to go into a store yourself if you can and try them out.

~Peter

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 30, 2011 15:18 |  #49

peter_n wrote in post #12125647 (external link)
Yes I only saw it for the first time today and thought it was interesting. I'm not sure if there's a conflict of interest or not but tripods are one thing that seem to be very personal. It's so much better to go into a store yourself if you can and try them out.

Yeah, after reading everything it was clear we are choosing between a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. It really just matters how you want to split the hairs and how you value the results.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 30, 2011 19:18 |  #50

I guess instead of being a knock off Gitzo's (Benro & Induro) _ they are the knock up version ... :lol:

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 30, 2011 19:29 |  #51

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #12125022 (external link)
Nice! Good choice, you will not be disappointed.

thank you, and thanks again for your input, I assure you I very much appreciate all of your comments, please keep us updated on your RRS tripod, I have no doubt it is a great tripod,

best wishes, Kyle

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 31, 2011 12:54 as a reply to  @ Kyles's post |  #52

Here are the Neil's sharpness test at the forum that is where his summary comes from, took sometime to find it: link dead: the topic is "Gitzo 3 series vs 5 series?"

[/B]Iagree that the test may not be fully accurate and personal feelings may taken into account. However his G1410 vs. G3541LS findings are spot on.

I did find his result pretty convincing - especially that TVC-33 and GT3541LS are so close; this is also another reason I suspect that the only part where RRS lacking is a equivalent G-lock.

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 31, 2011 15:37 |  #53

my only concern about my new Gitzo is the plate being securly locked on the tripod, RRS seems to have done a better job with that issue, any thoughts?

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 31, 2011 15:58 |  #54

Kyles wrote in post #12133072 (external link)
my only concern about my new Gitzo is the plate being securly locked on the tripod, RRS seems to have done a better job with that issue, any thoughts?

Natuescapes (external link) has a "safety plate" you can upgrade the Gitzo with.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 31, 2011 16:12 |  #55

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #12133224 (external link)
Natuescapes (external link) has a "safety plate" you can upgrade the Gitzo with.

i did purchase the plate for added security and i wondered why am i purchasing a plate from another company to make my $700 Gitzo tripod "plate" secure? why is the plate on the Gitzo not already "very secure"? i am considering returning the Gitzo and ording the RRS which does have a secure plate, the price is about $100 more for a tripod that is very secure without having to purchase a $69 additional part.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 31, 2011 18:56 |  #56

Kyles wrote in post #12133072 (external link)

RRS had the luxury of designing a tripod after Gitzo had already done most of the gruntwork. They just had to take some criticisms about Gitzos and improve on them. That's my view on the plate. I'm not sure why they didn't try to improve the g-lock.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 31, 2011 21:25 as a reply to  @ klr.b's post |  #57

Gitzo has to know about their plate situation, they have been making tripods long enough to fix it. They have to know a company has designed a plate to make their plates more secure. Makes no sense to me. Again, I pay $700 for a tripod that needs an additional $69 fix to make it secure? To me, this just makes no sense at all.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2011 09:45 |  #58

Well if you're the kind of person who attends to the maintenance of your gear this Gitzo plate thing isn't an issue. Unfortunately I'm a bit sloppy when it comes to equipment and the safety plate is a fail-safe for idiots like me who just slings stuff into the back of the car and expect it to work. The tension screw has worked itself loose on occasion and there have been a number of accidents, and so I bought one of these plates for insurance. If you're the type who routinely checks your gear then you'll have no worries and there are plenty of people who use 3 and 5-series Gitzos who don't know about this and may never experience it.

~Peter

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2011 10:58 |  #59

The new RRS catalogs are available with some information about upcoming products including the TVC-34 (no spec. yet), TVC-24 and TVC-24 Long (no spec. yet). They also have a new modular L-plate design for smaller cameras, and a cable release spacer that sits on the vertical dovetail of an L-plate among other things. The new RRS catalogs are available on this page (external link).

~Peter

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2011 14:56 |  #60

Everytime RRS comes out with a new catalog an angel gets its wings.

EDIT: No mention of the monopod, especially the modular one from the safari videos? I was hoping to see something about that in the next catalog.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links

104,253 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.