Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

PilotBrad
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2011 15:01 |  #61

peter_n wrote in post #12137965 (external link)
The new RRS catalogs are available with some information about upcoming products including the TVC-34 (no spec. yet), TVC-24 and TVC-24 Long (no spec. yet). They also have a new modular L-plate design for smaller cameras, and a cable release spacer that sits on the vertical dovetail of an L-plate among other things. The new RRS catalogs are available on this page (external link).

Peter... don't know if you saw them, but their were some earlier comments in the thread regarding changes to the future models listed in the catalog.

Brad Oliver (external link)

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2011 19:33 |  #62

Yes I did see them but I'm assuming the catalogs contain the definitive product direction.

~Peter

PilotBrad
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2011 19:58 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #63

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Their 2011 catalog has been out for a while, and the information posted earlier seemed to indicate some of their tripod plans had subsequently changed... At least that's how I took it. :)

PilotBrad
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 07, 2011 16:49 as a reply to  @ PilotBrad's post |  #64

I don't know if any saw it, but RRS did release a Spring Catalog to supplement their 2011 catalog and it now contains specs on a new TVC-33S (short) the TVC-34L and TVC-24L.

As Peter said earlier, you can find it here.. http://reallyrightstuf​f.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx​?fc=91 (external link)

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 07, 2011 21:31 |  #65

thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 08, 2011 10:14 |  #66

the RRS tripods are selling quickly according to RRS and the tripods are often on backorder. have any more of the forum members purchased any of the RRS tripods?

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 08, 2011 17:05 |  #67

I bought a TVC23 with a BH55 head last fall. I live in LA so I was able to take the drive up to RRS HQ to look and touch before I bought. I had been considering/comparing the Gitzo 35xx series and the RRS 2x series.

At RRS they have (and sell) both Gitzo and RRS tripods in their "showroom" I was able to compare a G35xx tripod right next to a TVC23 and TVC24 and felt that the TVC23 was the sturdiest of the bunch.

While I know the Gitzo tripods work really well I am not impressed with their finish. I know it doesn't really matter but when I handles the RRS legs there was just no doubt they were what I was going to purchase. The build quality of all RRS equipment is incredible, everything is so smooth. The machined metal parts, the look, feel, stability and weight of the carbon fiber legs are just incredible.

The only thing I don't like about the RRS legs is the feel of the twist locks. When you are opening them there is a distinct click which doesn't seem quite right. I would rather they operated a bit smoother but they do the job well.

I've taken my tripod apart and find it odd that having long tripods is a big deal for them. The legs are pretty simple assemblies and I think they could even offer custom tripods at any height required quite easily. I doubt they are creating different tubes other than them being longer for the L models.

All in all I know I paid a little more for RRS but it's the last tripod I think I will ever need. If I use it for 15-20 years it really is just pennies a day extra.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 08, 2011 17:16 |  #68

bpalermini wrote in post #12185129 (external link)
The only thing I don't like about the RRS legs is the feel of the twist locks. When you are opening them there is a distinct click which doesn't seem quite right. I would rather they operated a bit smoother but they do the job well.

I experienced this a bit myself. I don't know if I like or dislike it, however. It's just a different tactile repsonse than what I was used to.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 08, 2011 17:32 |  #69

bpalermini wrote in post #12185129 (external link)
I bought a TVC23 with a BH55 head last fall. I live in LA so I was able to take the drive up to RRS HQ to look and touch before I bought. I had been considering/comparing the Gitzo 35xx series and the RRS 2x series.

At RRS they have (and sell) both Gitzo and RRS tripods in their "showroom" I was able to compare a G35xx tripod right next to a TVC23 and TVC24 and felt that the TVC23 was the sturdiest of the bunch.

While I know the Gitzo tripods work really well I am not impressed with their finish. I know it doesn't really matter but when I handles the RRS legs there was just no doubt they were what I was going to purchase. The build quality of all RRS equipment is incredible, everything is so smooth. The machined metal parts, the look, feel, stability and weight of the carbon fiber legs are just incredible.

I've taken my tripod apart and find it odd that having long tripods is a big deal for them. The legs are pretty simple assemblies and I think they could even offer custom tripods at any height required quite easily. I doubt they are creating different tubes other than them being longer for the L models.

All in all I know I paid a little more for RRS but it's the last tripod I think I will ever need. If I use it for 15-20 years it really is just pennies a day extra.

thank you very much, i appreciate your insight and comments about these tripods. ;)

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 08, 2011 19:40 as a reply to  @ Kyles's post |  #70

Can anyone who handle TVC-24 measure the exact length when fully extend and fully retract?

It will be a great help to verify if its really 20" instead of 18" as they claimed.

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 09, 2011 11:26 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #71

From the Nikon forums a review said that photos taken with the RRS tripod were a hair less sharp than those taken with a Gitzo tripod. Has anyone else agreed with that? Is this merely apples and oranges?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 09, 2011 16:48 |  #72

Neil knows what he's doing so I give credence to his findings. Someone here pointed out that he has a conflict of interest because Nikonians sell Gitzo products but I really doubt that; he is honest. What was interesting about his testing is that the TVC-33 is a 3-section tripod and the 3541LS has 4-section legs. With the modern tripods it seems you can get away with buying a 4-section. I recently bought a 3541LS and only use three sections as I'm 5' 8" in height and the stability is absolutely amazing. However the differences Neil saw are so small that either one of these tripods should be all anyone needs unless you have something like an 800mm lens. I'll certainly never need a 5-series.

~Peter

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 09, 2011 22:35 |  #73

peter_n wrote in post #12190621 (external link)
Neil knows what he's doing so I give credence to his findings. Someone here pointed out that he has a conflict of interest because Nikonians sell Gitzo products but I really doubt that; he is honest. What was interesting about his testing is that the TVC-33 is a 3-section tripod and the 3541LS has 4-section legs. With the modern tripods it seems you can get away with buying a 4-section. I recently bought a 3541LS and only use three sections as I'm 5' 8" in height and the stability is absolutely amazing. However the differences Neil saw are so small that either one of these tripods should be all anyone needs unless you have something like an 800mm lens. I'll certainly never need a 5-series.

Agree since he is a forum member and doesn't seem like he's associate with Nikonian's store.

The difference is so small that I think RRS is worth giving it a try - that's why I'm interested in TVC-24 fold length/strength. I have been trying to find a series-3 stability that fold up to 18" and extend to 51/52 inch for frequent air travel - compromise height without scarifies stability when compare to GT3541LS.

But right now I'm afraid TVC-24 might actually be longer when folded - can anyone who owns TVC-24 verify this?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 10, 2011 10:27 |  #74

roger1234 wrote in post #12192139 (external link)
But right now I'm afraid TVC-24 might actually be longer when folded - can anyone who owns TVC-24 verify this?

RRS state that the folded length of the TVC-24 is 18.7in (page 9 of their spring catalog). I don't think this tripod folds back on itself like a regular travel tripod. I'm 5ft 8in tall and for my height the TVC-24 doesn't do it. I would need a center column which means a fold back design.

~Peter

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2011 14:14 |  #75

peter_n wrote in post #12190621 (external link)

i guess at that level of tripod, it just depends on which one you prefer,

sponsored links

104,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.