Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 16:08 as a reply to  @ post 12261566 |  #91

Head material and angle adjustment. Sorry the shadow is counter-intuitive for showing the surface finish but here we have RRS with anodized finish and Gitzo with enamel finish - Gitzo will have a edge against minor scratch or dings while the RRS is stronger but will show wear more easily due to shining surface.

The major difference is that RRS leg joint is closer to the apex while the Gitzo is both lower and have more vertical offset. There is a distance between the rotating shaft to the bottom of the angle lock tab in Gitzo but RRS joint is tightly close to the apex.

Not sure about real-life performance but RRS design should be theoretically more rigid leg lock wise. Gitzo win by having a more wider top assembly but this should compare to TVC-3x of RRS.

Here the compactness plays a major rule.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 16:27 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #92

That's it for external looks, later I will share my thoughts about the internal finish. For CF tube and other parts I will not repeat here since there's already many source online - include high resolution picture in RRS's tripod cleaning guide. There is no doubt that RRS is using a better material overall.

As for the question if TVC-24 is a smaller version of GT3541LS my answer will be no. Here you have a smaller profile (diameter/length) tripod that sacrifice top width for compactness and 8 inch maximum height for a 2~3" fold reduction.

In the case of TVC-24 using heavy tele like 500/4 - you may lost some stability for narrower top plate and gain some stability back by more refined design/material/finish​. For those who do not need the compactness GT3541LS will likely to be the best combination of weight/height/fold length/price - same for TVC-24L vs. GT3541XLS.

For me the compactness is one of the major factor. If their tube finish allow ease of maintenance and prolong use then it will become the winner for me.

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 20, 2011 16:57 |  #93

I think the biggest difference is that RRS uses machined billet aluminum whereas Gitzo uses cast aluminum. The cast is more brittle, as one poster noted somewhere on this forum, showing a picture of a broken Gitzo lock. Machined aluminum is much more expensive as there is a lot of waste material.

Also, if you speak to RRS, they are clear that they strive to post the very low end of the load limits, whereas the industry standard is to exaggerate the load limits. As such, I wouldn't bet that the Gitzo can handle 5 more pounds than the RRS.

Full disclosure - I have a manfrotto as I can't afford to spend that kind of cabbage on a tripod with all the other stuff I want right now. I do have an RRS head though and am more than impressed.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 17:30 |  #94

mckinleypics wrote in post #12261911 (external link)
I think the biggest difference is that RRS uses machined billet aluminum whereas Gitzo uses cast aluminum...

Yap and that's one of the strength of RRS - although its well know so I did repeat it. :rolleyes:

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 17:39 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #95

Screw it - I'll just finish my mini findings with one leg since I have time today :)

Here are the G-locks of both leg - work similar. Gitzo definitely feel like it has the freedom the freedom to deform while RRS is a more rigid pieces. Maybe this is why Neil's test show that RRS has slightly more vibration?

In another view RRS's rigid piece is going to last while the Gitzo will crack sooner or later. Once the Gitzo cracked it can still lock down but performance will degrade. Strangely I can't see why RRS's lock produces a cracking sound once un-tighten in first few uses....

Outer cast Aluminum lock is more or less equal with RRS having slightly better finish. These two photos are RRS Leg Lock.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 17:45 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #96

And Gitzo's leg lock

HOSTED PHOTO

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 17:48 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #97

Male threads - both looks good with RRS with slightly (barely visible) better finish.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 20, 2011 17:53 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #98

Roger,

this is great, i appreciate you taking the time and effort to give such a detailed comparison, excellent!

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 17:59 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #99

Sliding sleeves - RRS is much thinner, rigid and better finish. Gitzo felt cheap and the finish is definitely worse than RRS.

The edge of Gitzo sleeve have light deformation, which combine with tube variation in the next posting, making cleaning and maintenance a huge hassle for Gitzo.

Ahh..... I forgot to take the tube finish of RRS - smooth and brillant. The Gitzo tube edge - well photo says it all. RRS can do just a bit more by trim away the tiny tab on the sleeve so that the inner tube won't be scratched (red).

Imaging that I just have a full cleaning of my Gitzo last week - few tube sliding is enough to strip away tiny fiber (those dark color dust at edge of the white sleeve) of the Gitzo tube. RRS is not immune to this as well - but at a much smaller magnitude.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 18:06 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #100

The inner tube thread/tube joint. Look at Gitzo! It has almost 0.7mm of upward deviation, combine with the crappy sleeve in previous post you can image how hard is it to put the legs back once I done cleaning. This is the top tube of GT3541LS; the middle one seems to be the best without much gap and the 3rd tube is smaller - means that its easier to put it in but harder to pull it out (require some force)

(second photo) RRS is much better - the reflection make it worse but its actually smooth with almost no gap - a great plus.

Here we see the nature of CF tube - doesn't matter RRS or Gitzo it'll get scratched. The white lines of the RRS inner tube are scratch lines already there (corrected).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2011 18:15 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #101

Last post - here we see the secrete why TVC-24 is only 125cm height.

Compare to the Gitzo in the "sliding sleeve" above, where all three segment is aligned at the end, the RRS's 3rd and 4th segment is 2 inch below the 2nd segments.

I asked RRS and it seems to do with the stock length of their tube.... Well a cost saving measure - ouch!! :cry:

Otherwise the maximum height can improve at least 4 inch

Edited: BTW I just have a brief check on all the tubes - all are beautifully made except one that has a layer of fibers peeled off (about the size of 1/4 penny). I contacted RRS and should get a reply from them tomorrow - hopefully I can exchange out the leg.

HOSTED PHOTO

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 21, 2011 00:20 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #102

Roger,

wow! thank you, keep us posted, ;)

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 21, 2011 14:12 as a reply to  @ Kyles's post |  #103

Looks like it is qualify as cosmetic and its in the tuck in section......... :confused: I guess I'll either live with it or spend shipping for replacement.

Either way I'll see how it perform outdoor later on before I send the tube back. :rolleyes:

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 21, 2011 15:17 |  #104

roger1234 wrote in post #12267366 (external link)
Looks like it is qualify as cosmetic and its in the tuck in section......... :confused: I guess I'll either live with it or spend shipping for replacement.

Either way I'll see how it perform outdoor later on before I send the tube back. :rolleyes:

keep us posted, thank you

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 21, 2011 15:53 as a reply to  @ Kyles's post |  #105

i just purchased the TVC-33 Versa Series 3 Tripod, very excited!

sponsored links

104,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.