Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UWZ Setup - What would you chose and why

dgsphoto
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 25, 2011 14:39 |  #1

I currently own a Canon 5D classic and have no intentions of selling it(I don't think I ever will, I absolutely love it). I am also covered from 24mm onwards. I have also owned multiple copies of Canon 17-40/4L over the years and it is a terrific value for what it brings to the table at that price. But I have always felt the need for better.

With that background, here are three interesting options that I am looking at:

1. Current Canon 5D Classic + a chipped Novoflex Nikon G to EOS Adapter + Nikon 14-24
2. A brand new Nikon D7000 (I happen to have one that I was looking to sell but can always keep :) ) + a Tokina 11-16/2.8 DX (Plus I will be keep my Canon 5D which I will be using for 24-xxx focal lengths)
3. Current Canon 5D Classic + Tokina 16-28/2.8

Which one would you chose and why?

P.S. I am a filters guy and use Singh-rays on the Cokin p-System. Though the N14-24 and T16-28 lenses don't accept screw in filters, I can get creative and build a DIY kit that takes the filters (although I might have to move up from the P mount to a larger sized one if the P size won't cover the entire glass area). So though an important factor into the decision, I can come up with workarounds for the other lenses which kinda evens it out on the filters front. So factor in the filter aspect only to the extent of additional effort it would take to build a filter mount.

Thanks.

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 25, 2011 16:09 |  #2

I think it depends how you use these lenses. If flare is a concern then you might want to tread more carefully with the Nikon and the Tokina 16-28 although a filter holder may help in that regard.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 25, 2011 16:28 |  #3

This is situation when I can really heartily recommend the excellent Samyang 14mm 2.8. At only 350 dollars new, this lens actually beats the famed 14-24 Nikon at sharpness at 14mm. No adaptors needed. It is manual focus, however, but this is almost a non factor at this focal length. In fact, I prefer it since it gives me a excellent manual focus ring. I also have a 5Dc and this is a match made in heaven. The combination is well balanced too in my hands.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

barn (1 of 1) (external link) by shoenberg3 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

clark center blue (1 of 1) (external link) by shoenberg3 (external link), on Flickr

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

dgsphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 25, 2011 18:08 |  #4

Thanks Bohdank. The flare is a concern with the Tokina. I have even seen way too many shots with flare due to illumination much closer to the center of the image, let alone corner lit images. But I think I might be willing to look beyond that as the colors and contrast seems to be really good on the Tokina.

Nice pics Shoenburg3. Love the second one! Thanks for sharing them. The only reason I am inclined towards a zoom is because it allows me better framing. I don't have much room for cropping with the 5Dc. Anyway, your pics are very encouraging and I will give the 14mm prime some thought.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 25, 2011 18:19 |  #5

The flare issues have been a BIG disappointment since I was hoping to replace my 17-40 with one. Unfortunately I shoot in situations where flare control is very important. I'm still going to try and pick one up to try and return it if it turns out to be as problematic as I think it will be.

I did get one in December but it has aperture problems and I never had an opportunity to use it at a concert.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 25, 2011 18:27 |  #6

Hey if you can afford the 14-24, I would still go for it. I couldn't but I am not fretting it since the samyang is very excellent in its own right.

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

dgsphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 25, 2011 18:35 |  #7

shoenberg3 wrote in post #12093179 (external link)
Hey if you can afford the 14-24, I would still go for it. I couldn't but I am not fretting it since the samyang is very excellent in its own right.

Landscapes are my primary interest in photography. I'm well covered with standard and medium tele ranges for the landscapes but I have given a lot of time and money to the UWZ and have always been frustrated. I have waited far too long and certain opportunities are once in a lifetime! So this is one area I'm going to let the $$ be a secondary factor in choosing an option although it will definitely have to be a consideration.

Your shots are very impressive and I will take a look at that lens.

sponsored links

1,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
UWZ Setup - What would you chose and why
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.