Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 22:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

benro B2 or B3 ballhead

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 25, 2011 22:14 |  #1

I am looking for any info or pictures of a Benro B2 or B3 ballhead. Right now I have a 498rc2. Looking to get a B2 or B3 because of the QR plate, it will just work better with everything else that I have.

How big around is the bottom of the ballhead where it sits on the tripod?

How out of place would a B2 or B3 look on a systematic type tripod? Anyone have pictures of one on a systematic tripod?

Thanks

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 26, 2011 07:48 |  #2

I got a B3 a month ago and put it on a 20 yr old Manfrotto 3221 leg set. I love it! It is big, as Im sure you have studied the specs and measurements on all the eBay vendors listings! If for some reason you have not, start looking! The balls increase in size 10mm each step up (B3= 54mm ball). It will hold my 40D w/ Sigma 150-500mm in any position yet move with just a slight effort. I could not be happier with the quality and finish. I also have a size 0 head on a set of Benro carbon legs I have had for 3+ years and it has performed perfectly also. Use the search function! I cannot afford a Kirk or RRS head and am perfectly happy spending only $110.00 with a sweet plate too.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 26, 2011 08:40 |  #3

I changed from a Manfrotto 488rc2 to Benro B-1. All the lens/camera combo I have worked fine on the 488rc2 will work on B-1. Main reason for the upgrade is for the plate as well. The 2nd reason is weight and size reduction. B-1 is quite a bit smaller and lighter. I think it shaved off 0.75lb.

There is another option though. You can just buy the Arca-Swiss styple plate from Kirk, remove the RC2 QR plate and install the new one. Not too difficult to do.

Sorry, don't have a picture with B-2 or B-3.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 26, 2011 14:13 as a reply to  @ liupublic's post |  #4

I got a super good deal on a Benro J1. Mine has the single locking knob rather than the B series that has a locking and tension. Don't ask me which is better.. I don't know.

I replaced a 498RC2 on my 055xprob and it looks and works fantastic.

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
benro B2 or B3 ballhead
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.