Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 21:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Scenario! Please?

danny819
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 26, 2011 21:52 |  #1

Hello there POTN community. I have a question regarding off camera flash.

I am wondering what would happen in this scenario:

- I have a Canon 5D MKII attached to a Canon ST-E2 transmitter.
- I have a 580EXII flash placed on the LEFT on a stand with an umbrella attached in front.
- I have a 430EXII flash placed on the RIGHT on a stand with an umbrella attached in front.

Since I am using the ST-E2, I should be able to use TTL on the two flashes, but how would I do so since the umbrellas might be blocking the TTL. How is it going to measure the distance? Would I need to use full manual mode on the flashes? Is there another way to carry on this setup?

Thank you very much for your help and time!

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 26, 2011 22:00 |  #2

It should work fine.. TTL = through the lens.. which is how the camera evaluates the exposure.. In this case it will evaluate ambient, as well as the pre-flash coming through the umbrella.

That being said, just make sure you know why you want to rely on ETTL in this situation, rather than just not knowing how to do everything manually.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 26, 2011 22:00 |  #3

danny819 wrote in post #12099798 (external link)
I should be able to use TTL on the two flashes, but how would I do so since the umbrellas might be blocking the TTL.

Twist the 430EX and 580EX so the remote sensor faces the ST-E2 master.

Even if there's not direct line of sight between the ST-E2 and the slaves, it usually does pretty good indoors... the master control signal reflects off of interior surfaces.

Also, if this is hypothethical (e.g., you're still shopping and don't actually have all 3 components to test it yourself), I'd recommend the Yungnuo ST-E2 over the OEM Canon ST-E2. Not only is it less expensive, but it takes AA batteries and has much better signal strength and angular coverage.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 26, 2011 22:04 |  #4

clarence wrote in post #12099841 (external link)
Twist the 430EX and 580EX so the remote sensor faces the ST-E2 master.

Even if there's not direct line of sight between the ST-E2 and the slaves, it usually does pretty good indoors... the master control signal reflects off of interior surfaces.

Ahh.. I misunderstood. He's not talking about the evaluation being blocked, but the communication between master/slaves. Rotating the head/body makes perfect sense to me. Good call!

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

danny819
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 26, 2011 22:11 as a reply to  @ BrandonSi's post |  #5

Well I was just wondering if the 580EXII and the 430EXII would properly expose my subject based on the TTL information. :D I was a little curious of how that would work out :rolleyes:

I was looking at the Yongnuo ST-E2 and it had mixed reviews. Time to do more reading!

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Scenario! Please?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.