Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you separate your subject from the background with PP?

ReflektionsPhotography
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2011 05:35 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Hello

I've noticed that a lot of pictures that I really like seem to have the subjects (wedding photography) that separate their subjects from the backgrounds somehow.

I know this is a really generic question, but I'm not really sure how to start asking the question other than this.

Any PP gurus out there care to help explain this using Lightroom 3 only?

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 28, 2011 05:57 |  #2

I haven't upgraded to Lightroom 3 and don't have plans to but from what I know about it this is beyond its capabilities. Photoshop is the tool for this and if you want to learn about doing this you should start with how to make exacting selections in Photoshop. There concept is simple enouhg in that you select what you want moved, cut it out and paste it back in on its own layer. It sounds simple but in reality it takes plenty of practice.

I would start with fairly simple item, something that has clearly defined lines or has lots of contrast. This makes it easier for the selection tools to pick up the edges. I would start on something like YouTube and search for Photoshop selections Of course one can always buy a photoshop book.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 28, 2011 06:39 |  #3

You would typically lighten/brighten the Exposure values of the background immediately behind the subject(s) to simulate a splash of background light. This is usually done in a circle or oval shape.

The best way to do it is to select your subject(s) and place them on a new layer. This allows you to work without worrying about accidentally modifying the subject(s). Since Lightroom does not support layers and its selection tools are not very precise I cannot suggest it as the tool for the job you want to do. Use Photoshop.

Of course if your background is already light you can add a vignette in Lightroom to direct the viewers' eyes to the subject. But if you need to lighten the background its much more difficult to do in Lightroom because you'll have to apply the Adjustment brush in varying strenghs on the background and then on the actual subject.

ReflektionsPhotography wrote in post #12107463 (external link)
Hello

I've noticed that a lot of pictures that I really like seem to have the subjects (wedding photography) that separate their subjects from the backgrounds somehow.

I know this is a really generic question, but I'm not really sure how to start asking the question other than this.

Gear List

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 28, 2011 06:42 |  #4

The best way to get that effect is to shoot with a wide aperture lens so the background separation is done in camera when the picture is taken.

Using only Lightroom 3, my best suggestion would be to use the blur brush to soften the background, then the saturation brush to desaturate the background. This can help to give the illusion of background separation. If you still need more after that, try adding a little brightness and/or contrast to your main subject.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 28, 2011 07:02 |  #5

ReflektionsPhotography wrote in post #12107463 (external link)
Hello

Post a link (not the actual image) here so we can get a better idea of what you are asking about.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2011 12:21 |  #6

Mark-B wrote in post #12107604 (external link)
The best way to get that effect is to shoot with a wide aperture lens so the background separation is done in camera when the picture is taken.

Using only Lightroom 3, my best suggestion would be to use the blur brush to soften the background, then the saturation brush to desaturate the background. This can help to give the illusion of background separation. If you still need more after that, try adding a little brightness and/or contrast to your main subject.

These are two key points: using the proper lens with a wide aperture gives "subject separation" out of the camera, which should be the starting point -- otherwise you are forces into "faking" a look which, if you are earning money shooting weddings, you should invest into a proper lens to "get the look".

Then, you can use the Lightroom brushes to touch up parts of the image selectively or Photoshop/Elements to get more "fancy" with layers and masks.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 28, 2011 12:34 |  #7

You can use Photoshop Elements (cheaper than lightroom). Work in layers.

The basic method is to duplicate the background layer. Then apply a guassian blur to the new layer. Then erase the subject on that layer using the erase tool on that layer to reveal the subject in sharp focus. You don't even need a mask. Use the erase tool on all the portions you want to be in focus.

This works great on one or two images, but if you need to apply this to several hundred, you should shoot with a wide aperture lens instead :)

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 28, 2011 12:38 |  #8

Wow....

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #12109552 (external link)

The basic method is to duplicate the background layer. Then apply a guassian blur to the new layer. Then erase the subject on that layer using the erase tool on that layer to reveal the subject in sharp focus. You don't even need a mask. Use the erase tool on all the portions you want to be in focus.

This works great on one or two images, but if you need to apply this to several hundred, you should shoot with a wide aperture lens instead :)

Gear List

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2011 12:44 |  #9

With all due respect, even though this should be common knowledge by everyone here by now I feel it should be clarified anyhow, do not listen to this advice..

- Paul

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2011 12:59 |  #10

tricky500 wrote in post #12109608 (external link)
With all due respect, even though this should be common knowledge by everyone here by now I feel it should be clarified anyhow, do not listen to this advice..

Maybe you should clarify what needs to be clarified -- the advice will work, it is one possible approach (erasing part of the layer copy) and was an old "standard" approach in Elements (although adding a mask work-around became considered more appropriate).

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2011 13:34 |  #11

The basic method is to duplicate the background layer. Then apply a guassian blur to the new layer. Then erase the subject on that layer using the erase tool on that layer to reveal the subject in sharp focus. You don't even need a mask. Use the erase tool on all the portions you want to be in focus. This works great ...

Try that method try on the following image and post your result. The subject is the red rectangle.

IMAGE: http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7553/blur1.jpg

I made the subject simple so it's easy to erase (or mask, if you prefer) along the edges.
The goal is to end up with the red rectangle cleanly defined and everything else blurred
beyond recognition, about like this:

IMAGE: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7997/blur2.jpg

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2011 13:36 |  #12

Unless you take the time to cut a legitimate mask, not just a couple of clicks with some hokey feathered brush at 0% softness mask, or blur only very minimally, this is a waste of time. Do it in camera and spend your time with corrections and post processing doing something worthy of the effort put forth, or a better idea, go out and enjoy your day doing something else entirely or taking more pictures.

- Paul

Peano
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2011 14:11 |  #13

tricky500 wrote in post #12109994 (external link)
Unless you take the time to cut a legitimate mask, not just a couple of clicks with some hokey feathered brush at 0% softness mask, or blur only very minimally, this is a waste of time.

Three points about what you say:

1. In this case, it takes only a couple of seconds to cut a mask. Just select the red rectangle and create the mask from the selection. Here's a clean mask, if you'd like to try that approach instead of erasing:

IMAGE: http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/124/maskut.jpg

2. It obviously wasn't a waste of time, because I got perfectly satisfactory results with the method I used (which is not the one suggested by ScullenCrossBones).

3. Sometimes the circumstances don't allow you to get the background blurred in the camera. The question then becomes: What's a good technique for blurring it in Photoshop?

I offered this as a little challenge to the technique described above. Anyone who tries that technique will discover why it isn't a good one.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

ReflektionsPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2011 04:10 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Is it bad of me to think "if I can't my effect in camera, I'm not gonna do it in Photoshop."

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 29, 2011 07:37 |  #15

You can do it in post-processing, you just have to develop the skills to do it so that it doesn't come across as looking too "fake". Of course it is "fake", but you can learn to fake it "better"...

So, take the time to learn the Photoshop skills...and aim to get your photography skills up there!

Tony

sponsored links

8,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you separate your subject from the background with PP?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.