Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 11:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Missed perfect shot

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 28, 2011 11:54 |  #1

I was shooting with a 300 f4 so I could not zoom out. I was shooting from the dugout so I could not move. I was waiting on the visiting player to attempt to steal 2nd and when he left 1st I followed him to 2nd knowing the play would be in the dirt. BUT the pitch was high - too high for me as I was already shooting. So I missed the players head (I know the umpire was in the way too). You can see the ball in the glove and I'm not sure why he had the glove wrapped around his leg.... Picture is out of the camera with no cropping.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i180.photobucke​t.com …auderdalems/IMG​_0173w.jpg (external link)

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

sponsored links
Scottyr33
158 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 28, 2011 12:04 |  #2

I agree with everything you say, but just seeing this makes me want to get out and shoot with my 300mm that I just picked up!

Canon 1Dmk3; 50D; 450d; -- Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 300 F4; Sigma 70-200 2.8; Canon 85 1.8; Canon 50 1.4

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 28, 2011 12:10 |  #3

Joe - good timing. Seems to me two things ruined your shot - the orientation of your camera, and even had you been vertical, the ump would have destroyed it. Stuff happens like this.

I am often in a quandary when setting up for shots at second base (steals, double plays, etc.). Some plays are best shot horizontal (slides on the ground with a infielder's tag) and others are best shot vertical, like your shot. Unfortunately you never know what's going to happen, and when shooting with a longish prime lens, you have to decide camera orientation before the shot. I normally shoot baseball with a 400, but have tried a couple time shooting with a 70-200 f.2.8 with a 1.4X TC just so I can be wide enough to catch both the vertical action and the horizontal. Works OK, but not as good as the 400 by itself.

For the most part, horizontal is the best, as plays like the one you "missed" don't happen that often, but when they do, sure is frustrating. Occasionally you can spin your lens vertical during the play if you see something like this developing - requires shooting with both eyes open. Truthfully, thiscan be doneā€¦but infield plays in baseball are tough to pull this off 'cuz things happen so fast with few telltale signs to show you it's happening before it's too late.

Since the end of last year, I've borrowed a 300 and might plop this on one of my bodies for infield action shots. At the ballparks where I shoot mostly, we're farther away from second base than you were, which widens the field of view.

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

lauderdalems
THREAD ­ STARTER
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 28, 2011 12:14 |  #4

Thanks for the comments. I do shoot some vertical but they don't always work either.

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,836 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 28, 2011 15:23 |  #5

If I see I have a shot like this while shooting, I usually delete it right away...avoiding unnecessary
pain later on. Hate wasting time licking my wounds over 'what could have been'! :-)

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

lauderdalems
THREAD ­ STARTER
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 28, 2011 16:51 |  #6

CatchingUp wrote in post #12110820 (external link)
If I see I have a shot like this while shooting, I usually delete it right away...avoiding unnecessary
pain later on. Hate wasting time licking my wounds over 'what could have been'! :-)

I agree, but I always look back over my great, good, and almost shots before I shoot another game to see what improvements I can make or what I need to do different.

sponsored links

1,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Missed perfect shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.