Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quadra users - need your input

Tawcan
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 30, 2011 14:13 |  #1

So I'm trying to decide between Ranger vs Quadra. I like Quadra for its light weight as I do mostly on-location shoots. I keyshift quite a bit and want to get into shooting more fashion.

For those of you that have a Quadra how often do you find you want more "power?"

Probably looking using a 22" or 28" beauty dish as the modifier. Was looking at the 135 cm deep octa as well but I guess that's too heavy to use on Quadra.... perhaps that's a good reason to go with the Ranger b/c it supports heavier modifiers?

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Sylvester ­ XxX
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 30, 2011 14:45 |  #2

The quadra adapter can support a 135 octa and the 100 Deep without a problem.

| My Gear | My Site (external link) | My Blog (external link) | My Facebook (external link) |My G+ (external link) |
| My 500px (external link) |My Tumblr (external link) | My Flickr (external link) |

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 30, 2011 16:35 |  #3

How often do you find yourself battling the sun during your on location shoots?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Tawcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 30, 2011 16:49 |  #4

ben_r_ wrote in post #12126537 (external link)
How often do you find yourself battling the sun during your on location shoots?

I only use speedlite right now...have tried combining 2 or 3 speedlites together to overpower the sun. The light falls off too quickly and I'm limited to the type of modifier (umbrella) I can use.

Hard to give a quantitative number though...

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 03, 2011 13:38 |  #5

I use a 53 inch midi Octa on mine, it doesn't seeme that big and i like it. I also have the 39" deep octa as well.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 03, 2011 14:48 as a reply to  @ jeppoy's post |  #6

I have both the Ranger and Quadra, I think for fashion the Quadra is perfectly capable. I also follow your work quite closely (in a non creepy stalker way) and I think the Quadra would suit your needs. One thing a lot of people forget is that the Quadra with just a standard 18cm reflector produces very very nice light for fashion. I'd reccomend the Deep Octa, Maxilite and Standard 18cm Reflector + Grid set (based on your work I've seen).

I have these modifiers and I find I can handle most situations. I bought the Ranger for some more creative work (nuking backgrounds and allowing me greater distances to work with on weddings).

I hope this helps.

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

Tawcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 04, 2011 10:32 |  #7

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes based on my current work I think Quadra would be sufficient. However I'm really looking for a light that would give me the flexibility to nuke the ambient light if I desire. Having used speedlite for most of my location work currently I'd like to be able to place the light at a further distance to allow more creative framing. Quadra is about equivalent of 4 speedlites, but I fear even at this greater power it won't allow me to do what I really want to do...

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 04, 2011 15:17 as a reply to  @ Tawcan's post |  #8

Just got the Vagabond Mini battery because I like one battery per strobe on location- quicker recycle times and easier to setup separately. At same power settings, Vagabond Mini with Elinchrom D-Lite 400 recycled about half second quicker than my Quadra. Still LOVE my Quadra but price difference is significant.

Both are 400 watts.

Also D-Lite 400 supports beauty dish, softboxes better IMO. And weighs only 2.8 lbs which is great for taking on location.

You can trigger the D Lite 400 with a Skyport but you can't change the power unlike the Quadra but is that worth the extra cost, up to you...

Vagabond mini is always out of stock. Took month and half to get mine. So suck it up place the order now and wait lol.

Again Quadra is much prettier and more elegant and but it'll cost significantly more ;)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5186/5589996920_42d8564cf7_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

Tawcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 04, 2011 16:52 |  #9

Saw that on your Flickr Peter.

How many pops do you get with the vegabond min?

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 04, 2011 17:00 |  #10

Tawcan wrote in post #12157191 (external link)
Saw that on your Flickr Peter.

How many pops do you get with the vegabond min?

I didn't test that. Saw alot tests out there with other strobes so should be fine. I did quick test with both at same power setting and the Vagabond Mini setup was about half second faster.

There's a long debate on my FB when I posted the pic, Eli vs AB lol. One can almost get 3 DLite VML for one Quadra setup. One strobe, one battery is only way to go for me b/c I shoot fast to capture those fleeting facial expressions from models. But with a Quadra/ Ranger you'll look more boss and other photogs will be more envious, at a cost ;)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Tawcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 04, 2011 17:06 |  #11

Definitely an interesting setup, especially with D-Lite you can use all Elinchrom modifiers without the adapter. I'm still debating whether 400 ws is going to be enough power. I guess the only minor annoyance with D-lite setup is that you'll have to lower the light everytime you want to change power...

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 04, 2011 17:20 |  #12

Tawcan wrote in post #12157291 (external link)
Definitely an interesting setup, especially with D-Lite you can use all Elinchrom modifiers without the adapter. I'm still debating whether 400 ws is going to be enough power. I guess the only minor annoyance with D-lite setup is that you'll have to lower the light everytime you want to change power...

I hear ya, always the big debate, enough power. I hate when people recommend this but see if you can rent a Ranger and take it on location. See if you'll like overpowering the sun b/c you'll be in very hot conditions and you may end up looking for shade lol. When I had my Ranger for brief period, I went out with model in mid day sun and we lasted 10 minutes because we were both dying from the heat lol. But if you have nice beaches for example available then Ranger is worth it.

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 04, 2011 17:46 as a reply to  @ pnmd's post |  #13

The Quadra is brilliant but the ranger is definitely the better set-up IMO. When the deal came up for mine I said to myself how often are you ever that far from your car on location? I thought about it for a while and realised you're never too far away from where you can park on "location". I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking location means you walk from your house to the middle of nowhere. I've done a few shoots in rainforests that are maybe 2-3 km's away from my car and I can comfortably carry the Ranger that far.

I think the Quadra set up is for fast paced shooting like seniors, weddings, etc where you constantly have to be moving. The ranger is better built, faster recycle, the head is very strong (I worry about my Quadra head all the time and now only use it with reflectors / maxilite).

I don't think the power is there purely to control the midday sun, it's there so your kicker / rimlight is actually useful, it's there so you can shoot nice wide landscapes and have enough power to have your light out of frame.

When buying the 2 set ups I'd consider how far your locations are normally from your car and how fast do you move around chasing your subject. I kept my Quadra's purely because I'm looking at doing weddings and I love having 3 lights when needed.

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 04, 2011 23:06 |  #14

TwoShoes wrote in post #12157536 (external link)
The Quadra is brilliant but the ranger is definitely the better set-up IMO. When the deal came up for mine I said to myself how often are you ever that far from your car on location? I thought about it for a while and realised you're never too far away from where you can park on "location". I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking location means you walk from your house to the middle of nowhere. I've done a few shoots in rainforests that are maybe 2-3 km's away from my car and I can comfortably carry the Ranger that far.

I think the Quadra set up is for fast paced shooting like seniors, weddings, etc where you constantly have to be moving. The ranger is better built, faster recycle, the head is very strong (I worry about my Quadra head all the time and now only use it with reflectors / maxilite).

I don't think the power is there purely to control the midday sun, it's there so your kicker / rimlight is actually useful, it's there so you can shoot nice wide landscapes and have enough power to have your light out of frame.

When buying the 2 set ups I'd consider how far your locations are normally from your car and how fast do you move around chasing your subject. I kept my Quadra's purely because I'm looking at doing weddings and I love having 3 lights when needed.

I completely agree with pretty much everything you mentioned.

In the end, you end up bringing lightstands, sandbags, softboxes, wardrobe and whatnot anyway, so you might as well just bring a Ranger or monolight+inverter. You really only need the Quadra if you're moving a lot. If it's in your budget, get the Ranger. IMHO, the Quadra's mediocre build quality compared to the Ranger easily warrants the price difference.

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

doubleclock
212 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 04, 2011 23:41 |  #15

I used the Quadra this Saturday for a wedding for the first time, and I have got to tell you it rocked. An assistant held it while I shot, and never felt underpowered. Again, don't fall into the trap of "I can't overpower the sun". The Quadra to me is a "job specific" tool, and your application will differ.
I'm waiting for the Eli adapter to try out my 70cm Deep Octa!
Good Luck on your choice.

Canon 5d Mk II | Canon 5D | Canon 1D | Canon 1D Mark III | Nikon D800 | Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4G | 40D | Rebel XT | EF 24-70 f/2.8 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85 f/1.2 L | EF 135 f/2.0 L | EF 50 f/1.4 | TAMRON 11-18 f/3.5 | (2)580 EX II | 430 EX | Hasselblad 501 C | Elinchrom Ranger Quadra RX | Elinchrom Ranger Quadra | Zeiss 150 f/4 | PWs | ABR 800 Ringflash | :shock:

sponsored links

5,852 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quadra users - need your input
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.