Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Apr 2011 (Friday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone used these variable ND filters

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 01, 2011 13:58 |  #1

7Day Shop in the UK are offering these variable ND filters at what looks like give away prices, anyone seen / used these?

Views

http://www.7dayshop.co​m …=777_1&products​_id=111257 (external link)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

sponsored links
tommayor
56 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 06, 2011 07:01 |  #2

Hi,

This is my first post after a few days of browsing the amazingly helpful forums!

i saw these the other day an would also like to know if anyone has had any luck with them? i used 7dayshop for a couple of lens hoods! they do the job and fit perfectly.

Tom

Canon 50D Gripped / Canon 100-400 L / Canon 24-70 L / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 60mm Macro / Canon Speedlight 430EX ii / Jessops 360AFD Flash units X2

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 06, 2011 07:17 as a reply to  @ tommayor's post |  #3

If they so inexpensive, purchase one and give the rest of us a report. I know I have been very happy with my Fader which is much less expensive that the Sighray VND.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 07, 2011 05:25 |  #4

I've got a 7-Day Shop VND on order. Then I saw these Polaroid ones (external link) were cheaper, So I've ordered one of them as well. One will be getting returned.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 07, 2011 05:56 |  #5

I'm worried about anything that Polaroid put its name on. They sold out the brand to the highest bidder.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 07, 2011 06:12 |  #6

Well, for that price, I don't think it matters what the name on the filter is. You sort of know what you're getting at that price point

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

big_g
868 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 08, 2011 16:18 as a reply to  @ TaDa's post |  #7

OP. You have got a really nice collection of equipment, why would you spend all that money on L series glass and then put the cheapest ND filter you can find on the front of it?

Really good quality NDs are not stupid money and you can still realise the quality of the rest of your equipment.

Bit like putting cheap tyres on a Ferrari

Leica - M (typ 240), M Monochrom (typ 246), Noctilux 50 f0.95, Summilux 50 f1.4 ASPH, Super Elmarit 18 f3.8, Summicron 35 f2, Summarit 35 f2.5
Canon - 1D4, 5D2, 8-15L, 17-40L, TSE 17L, TSE 24L Mk 2, 24-70L, 24-105L, 50L, 100 L IS Macro, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85L, 100-400L, 300 2.8 L IS, 500L IS
Flickr Site (external link)

neil_r
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 09, 2011 04:31 |  #8

big_g wrote in post #12184948 (external link)
OP. You have got a really nice collection of equipment, why would you spend all that money on L series glass and then put the cheapest ND filter you can find on the front of it?

Really good quality NDs are not stupid money and you can still realise the quality of the rest of your equipment.

Bit like putting cheap tyres on a Ferrari

I have a full set of Lee ND's. I am not thinking of buying one I was simply asking if anyone was using one and what was the quality like. I find it hard to believe that something so cheap could be good quality, but it would be good to know if they were any good.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 09, 2011 05:27 |  #9

OK, it's arrived. But I don't think it'll be staying long. First reason is the build-quality, it's all plastic. The thread feel as if they may last a few dozen fittings. Then there's the performance.

With the 10-22 there's bad vignetting at 10mm. The cross-pattern appears at around 3 stops @ 10mm and 5 stops @ 22mm - which is, I understand not too bad.

I've heard there's problems with IQ using VNDs on long lenses, so I stuck it on my 100-400 @ 400mm. Yeeeuch! Horrible! I used my tripod and took some shots using manual exposure (f8 2s) using the VND and my Heliopan 10-stop ND. The difference in IQ was incredible. Here's 100% crops, you can guess which is which.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/VND%20Test.jpg

So it's a VND that's not usable on long lenses because of the drop-off in IQ, that's not usable on short lenses because of the cross-pattern and feels like it won't be usable on anything for very long before the threads are worn out.

I shall be returning it as 'not fit for purpose' for a full refund.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 09, 2011 06:10 |  #10

hollis_f wrote in post #12188324 (external link)
OK, it's arrived. But I don't think it'll be staying long. First reason is the build-quality, it's all plastic. The thread feel as if they may last a few dozen fittings. Then there's the performance.

With the 10-22 there's bad vignetting at 10mm. The cross-pattern appears at around 3 stops @ 10mm and 5 stops @ 22mm - which is, I understand not too bad.

I've heard there's problems with IQ using VNDs on long lenses, so I stuck it on my 100-400 @ 400mm. Yeeeuch! Horrible! I used my tripod and took some shots using manual exposure (f8 2s) using the VND and my Heliopan 10-stop ND. The difference in IQ was incredible. Here's 100% crops, you can guess which is which.

QUOTED IMAGE

So it's a VND that's not usable on long lenses because of the drop-off in IQ, that's not usable on short lenses because of the cross-pattern and feels like it won't be usable on anything for very long before the threads are worn out.

I shall be returning it as 'not fit for purpose' for a full refund.

Generally, the cross pattern should only appear at very wide focal lengths while at or beyond the max density of the filter. If its an 8-stop max filter, and you're getting the cross pattern at only 5-stops, then by all means get rid of it. Not surprised about the construction/performan​ce at that price, either.

After some consideration (and seeing the results from the first Fader testing), I decided many months ago to bite the bullet and go with the Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo (variable plus polarizer). Its much more expensive, but the quality, workmanship, and IQ is well worth the cost difference. The cross pattern still appears, but only when I go beyond the max density of the filter (while also at wide focal lengths), but is completely gone at 35mm on a FF body.

TBH, I have never tried it on my 100-400...that lens is known to be a bit squirrelly when using any type of filter, but you do have me curious. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2011 07:23 |  #11

Wow. Might as well just paint a pringles cap a dark color and it looks like you'd get better results.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2011 10:19 |  #12

TaDa wrote in post #12188560 (external link)
Wow. Might as well just paint a pringles cap a dark color and it looks like you'd get better results.

That is very, very good! bw!

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2011 05:37 |  #13

Hollis, is your review (post #9) of the polaroid or the 7day shop filter?

You have both ordered, but your review does not state which filter is being tested.

Cheers

John.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 11, 2011 06:06 |  #14

John Hudson wrote in post #12198806 (external link)
Hollis, is your review (post #9) of the polaroid or the 7day shop filter?

You have both ordered, but your review does not state which filter is being tested.

Cheers

John.

Whoops! It's the 7DayShop one. The Polaroid hasn't arrived yet.

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 16, 2011 22:07 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #12188324 (external link)

Cross-pattern?

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

sponsored links

5,480 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone used these variable ND filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.