Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 03 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portraits of my Girlfriend. (C&C please.)

nub4sh
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2011 19:17 |  #1

Hello guys. Im not new here but im not really active in posting pictures. Ive always check this forum if I have time. This time, I had all the time to waste so I decided to get my girlfriend to pose for me and try some of what I learn.

I use a Canon 7D with the nifty fifty @ f2.8 and using Canon 430EX II. Here are the results that i got. So what do you think guys?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i265.photobucke​t.com …/nub4sh/IMG_570​8-Edit.jpg (external link)

http://i265.photobucke​t.com …/nub4sh/IMG_567​0-Edit.jpg (external link)

http://i265.photobucke​t.com …/nub4sh/IMG_566​9-Edit.jpg (external link)

http://i265.photobucke​t.com …/nub4sh/IMG_566​6-Edit.jpg (external link)

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

sponsored links
x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 03, 2011 19:22 |  #2

All good; 1st & 4th are the best.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

syndicate1
159 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2011 20:09 as a reply to  @ x_tan's post |  #3

Nice pics....1,3 and 4th are nice. Like the little tease of number 3, and those boots sure are kinky. :D

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 04, 2011 04:33 |  #4

Thank you for the comments.

Sure they are, the problem is I cant let her walk for a long periods of time cause she complains her feet hurts. :D

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 04, 2011 04:45 |  #5

1st is the best in terms of lighting. 2, 3 & 4 are all a bit harsh and heavy on the flash for me, you need to soften it up a bit more or dial the strength down if you are shooting without a diffuser of any kind.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 04, 2011 05:45 |  #6

Mike, yes i noticed that.. i used the flash straight on. (i forgot my diffuser at home, silly me.) Well, i find it nice for the effect i wanted. Thank you for the critique, i appreciate it and definitely learn from it. :)

JayZ235
492 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 04, 2011 13:04 |  #7

Just a couple things:
-Very harsh lighting makes for distracting highlights on her skin.
-Whether it way you guiding the poses or she was doing them, they're very well done.
-One thing that doesn't mix well with me at all are portraits where the subject isn't looking into the camera. That's the biggest point of portraits!! For myself that is
-The first and the last photos have small portions of her boots cut off but the rest are very well composed.
-Just taking a look at the background i'm not seeing any shadows what-so-ever..any reason you decided to use fill flash (or in this case, over-fill flash ;) )? Lighting looks nice and even behind her.

CosmicSpock
51 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 04, 2011 13:11 |  #8

Agree with Jay 100%. The 1st pic is the strongest nice work. Too much flash in 2nd and 3rd. 2nd and 3rd would also have more impact if she was looking into the camera.

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 04, 2011 14:17 |  #9

Jay, thank you for the comments.

Yes, i used too much flash on it. The pics that my girlfriend isnt looking at the camera, i told her not to do so because i wanted to add little drama on it by not looking at me. :)

As for some of her boots cut off, yes im aware of it as well. Before i posted this pictures, i was hesitant at first because (mainly) the harsh light and some of her boots was cut off.

I decided to use flash because it was a cloudy day and we went to the park where there's a lot of trees and i to put some fill flash on it. Well obviously i overdid it. :D

Thank you by the way for the critique. :)

SmilingFox
375 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2011 14:19 |  #10

I think these suffer a bit from a bit much flash. Her skin gets really bright highlights,which is distracting.
The poses are nice, but try not to cut off body parts (1&4).
The bg in 2 is good, except what I can only guess is a flag? very top, center(red, white). 1 would be good but I keep looking at the red/ brown barrel thinking "What the heck is that?" My eye wanders over there because of that bright white spec on the wall. The House in 3,4 steals away the attention of your lovely girlfriend.
The trashcan(I think) is growing out of her head in 3 as well
Little things here and there...
Focus seems good overall, and your posing is nice too! Keep Shooting

Canon T1i Nifty 50, 35-135 f4-5.6, 70-200 f4, 580, 2x 430s, and a super long Ettl cord
Family Portraits in The Woodlands, TX (external link)

sponsored links

997 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portraits of my Girlfriend. (C&C please.)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.