Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

430EX II + OmniBounce

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 03, 2011 22:20 |  #1

so i just got my omnibounce and decided to give it a spin..... i took some test shots to compare the flash coverage/hot spots between naked flash and omnibounce on. it seems to me that the bounce flash is better without omnibounce on... i assume thats because the OB disperses the light whereas naked flash just bounces from the direction of the flash? is there another way to do some test shooting? (i tested in a well-lit room, using 24-105 wide open @ 24mm)

ultimately, i will be shooting a friend's wedding dinner in a poorly lit room @ a restaurant in vegas, and i want to make sure that my 17-50mm + flash (and possibly sigma 30 f1.4) will give me great shots.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 04, 2011 09:18 |  #2

Yeah it's because the Omnibounce is a waste of money and results in worse light

Just remember to tilt your upward pointing flash 10-30 degrees slightly behind you when the subjects are close so you don't get the nasty overhead shadows

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 04, 2011 09:27 |  #3

smorter wrote in post #12154308 (external link)
Yeah it's because the Omnibounce is a waste of money and results in worse light

Just remember to tilt your upward pointing flash 10-30 degrees slightly behind you when the subjects are close so you don't get the nasty overhead shadows

But I like the omnibounce personally and find it more useful than not having one...horses for courses I suppose and, as with a lot of accessories you'll find lovers and haters of both. :)

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2011 22:56 |  #4

i like the idea of splashing light rather than just bouncing a beam. are there any good ways to see how well it will splash? i wont be able to go to the restaurant beforehand to see how dim it is, so ill just have to be familiar enough with the flash/OB to get good results

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 05, 2011 05:42 |  #5

Light isn't water, it doesn't splash, nor does it travel in a straight line.

When you bounce, you are actually making your bounce target the new light source

The Omnibounce is completely useless. If someone can post a photo of a sample Omnibounce photo which is more soft than a photo I can post of bare bounce only, I will mail them my 580EXII. I will put my money where my mouth is unlike the manufacturers of this product.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 06:46 |  #6

so what to do when theres nothing to bounce from, or the ceiling is so high that the ceiling bounce is ineffective? id rather carry a small omnibounce rather than have a large bounce card velcro'ed to my flash

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 05, 2011 06:55 |  #7

ekinnyc wrote in post #12161258 (external link)
so what to do when theres nothing to bounce from, or the ceiling is so high that the ceiling bounce is ineffective? id rather carry a small omnibounce rather than have a large bounce card velcro'ed to my flash

If there is nothing to bounch the flash light off of, then the OmniBounce would be useless anyway and just make inefficient use of the flash output. In that case, you'd be better off pointing the bare flash head directly forward.

...Leo

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 09:23 |  #8

lol, seems to be 2 quite divided camps here.... so what you guys are telling me is that i threw out $10?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 05, 2011 09:59 |  #9

ekinnyc wrote in post #12161849 (external link)
lol, seems to be 2 quite divided camps here.... so what you guys are telling me is that i threw out $10?

No. Keep it for when you need to use your hotshoe flash with a softbox or a beauty dish. In the meantime, it makes a good container for batteries or loose coins. ;)

...Leo

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 10:13 |  #10

PacAce wrote in post #12162047 (external link)
hotshoe flash with a softbox or a beauty dish.

the what now? i know close to nil about flash photography. hoping to learn, but that right there went above my head.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 05, 2011 10:20 |  #11

Total waste of money.

I use an omnibounce as a case/protector for my field audio recorder's windscreen. :lol:

There should be a thread for all of the uses for them, other than putting on your flash. Same wit the fong things, too.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,328 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 05, 2011 10:20 |  #12

I'm sure you'd rather, but wouldnt you like to use something that actually works? The only way to get softer light is by making your apparent light larger. If, and when, the stofens work its by bouncing light off of surrounding surfaces to make the entire room a appear as a light source. Of course if you have white walls and ceilings you dont need a stofen in the first place.... The large bounce cards do increase the size of your light source. You might not like it, but its physics...

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2011 11:01 |  #13

Neil van Niekerk in his "On-flash photography" (a must book for anyone touching on camera flash) has a section dedicated to flash modifiers and Stofen in particular.
This is his web site, btw
http://neilvn.com/tang​ents/ (external link)
Diffuser cups like Stofen have their place in flash photography. They work best in combination with bounce by also throwing some light forward to eliminate under eyes shadows (and surprisingly it works for me and thousands others).
W/o bounce, applications are quite limited:
- close up/macro
- increasing coverage for wide angle lenses
- feathering the light by pointing it 45 degress toward the subject and letting just the edge of the light falling on it
Get the book, you won't regret it.

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 05, 2011 11:15 |  #14

It is true that the omnibounce will do nothing to soften your flash if there are no surfaces from which to bounce. The solution if you are reasonably close to the subject is a small softbox like the Lumiquest Softbox III or the Lumiquest Big Bounce (check it out on the web). Both work very well at short distances and can be hand-held off camera using either Canon's OC-E3 off shoe cord or the wireless flash control on the 7D, 60D, and T3i. This set-up is bigger than the omnibounce, but it works, while the omnibounce can't work without a diffusive wall or other surface surface.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2011 11:40 |  #15

Bounce cards is another option for outdoor/no bounce off situations.
I have tried and returned Lumiquest Quick Bounce (didn't like the flimsiness of the build and how shaky and unstable it felt on the flash), got FlashBenders Small Reflector instead, same price but huge step up in a build quality as well as extra functional features http://photo-tips-online.com …ue-flashbender-reflector/ (external link), can also work as a snoot or half-snoot.
Demb Flip-It is another popular option, I personally prefer cleaner/one piece solution from Flashbenders.

sponsored links

4,063 views & 0 likes for this thread
430EX II + OmniBounce
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.