Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 04 Apr 2011 (Monday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ELPH 300 vs SD1400

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2011 12:15 |  #1

seems to be a $20 difference in these cameras at bestbuy. i am looking for a camera for my parents. after i bought my SLR, i gave them my old SD450 (yes, OLD). the camera seems to suit their needs, but the battery barely holds a charge. since i take the camera from them from time to time (cant take an SLR to a bar), i am considering getting them a new camera as a gift, and reclaiming the SD450 (and buying a new battery). a benefit of a new camera (over the old one with a new battery) would be better indoors/low light quality. they arent very camera savvy, so the better/more intelligent the camera's Auto mode is, the better

is there a big difference between the 300 and the 1400? how is the new HS system? im guessing this is moot, as for $20 i might as well get the newer ELPH... however, i am a bit wary of the newer canon powershots - a friend of mine has one (not sure of the model, i think the SD1200), and has tons of issues with it, from errant/hunting focusing to very poor low light quality resulting in blur.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 04, 2011 16:12 |  #2

This review might answer some questions;

http://www.digitalcame​rareview.com …ew=canon+powers​hot+300+hs (external link)

Dennis

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2011 22:55 |  #3

thanks, that definitely helps. as good as review sites are, i was also hoping to get some first hand experience from some users here. im going to go this weekend to bestbuy to see if they have any on display so i could play with it

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

john_332
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 06:59 |  #4

The difference between the two camera is the Canon ELPH 300 has 24mm ultra Wide-Angle lens, Canon HS system, Super Slow Motion Movie records and full hd video and has many more features, it completely depends whether you want these features or not otherwise with image quality you wont find much difference.

This information is provided "as is" for information purpose only, I am professional content editor at Camerafobia Blog - Digital Camera, DSLR Reviews (external link)
I am hobbyist photographer and have played with most of the leading cameras.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 09:21 |  #5

john_332 wrote in post #12161301 (external link)
The difference between the two camera is the Canon ELPH 300 has 24mm ultra Wide-Angle lens, Canon HS system, Super Slow Motion Movie records and full hd video and has many more features, it completely depends whether you want these features or not otherwise with image quality you wont find much difference.

these features would probably go unused at the hands of my (somewhat technically inept) parents. i just need a camera that has the best Auto mode possible. it seems that the 300 does have an intelligent auto mode that would work. i guess for $20 more, i should go with the better/newer device

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 06, 2011 04:35 as a reply to  @ ekinnyc's post |  #6

Compared to the SD1400, the ELPH 300 has a wider lens, a longer zoom and more importantly - a functional optical zoom and stereo sound during video shooting.
On top of that, it has somewhat better low light capabilities, but that is not a major difference.
I would definitely opt for the the ELPH 300 over the SD1400 if $20 is the price gap.

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

Gary ­ W. ­ Graley
Goldmember
1,326 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 10, 2011 22:09 |  #7

Between the two, definitely go with the 300, for nothing more than just
the texture of the outer shell, has better gripping to it, while the SD1400
is just plain slick, in hand held terms that is ;)
BOTH cameras work nice, as mentioned above the nod goes to the newest
kid on the block, I passed my SD1400 on to my wife, but if I had the $$ I would
buy her a 300 because you can hold it far easier with less chance of it slipping in your hands.
Good luck with your hunt!
G2

5D Mark ii, 17-40L, 70-300L, 100L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, S100

Umm..He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

sponsored links

5,723 views & 0 likes for this thread
ELPH 300 vs SD1400
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.