Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Apr 2011 (Monday) 23:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Image Stabalization Problem?

Hitthespot
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2011 23:41 |  #1

I just switched a bad copy of a 24-105mm F/4L lens for a new 70-200mm f/4 L lens in the last couple of days. I also bought a new 7D. I was getting much sharper pictures with the new lens, but there were times when even the pictures from the new lens looked soft.

Details:

Tonight I was shooting pictures of a bag with text on it.
Approximately 15 feet away.
Flash on.
FL=200mm
AV mode
Shutter Speed used was 1/60 and 1/250 @ f/4

In all shots taken the pictures are very sharp with no image stabaliztion and very soft (comparably speaking) when I turn it on.

So my quesion is, is there ever a situation where the image stabalization is more detrimintal than helpful? I have never heard of a case except on lenses that cannot be tripod mounted with IS on. I am hand holding in this case for all pictures.

Any information / knowledge would be very helpful. I'm going back to the dealer again tomorrow but this has gotton completely out of hand. One bad camera and two bad lenses. Maybe I'm not suppose to take pictures. lol

Bill

Canon 7D, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430EX II,

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,209 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 04, 2011 23:44 |  #2

post the pictures...they're worth a thousand words...sometimes the stabilization needs a half a second to start up...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Hitthespot
THREAD ­ STARTER
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2011 23:50 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #3

I'm falling asleep. I 'll see about getting some up tomorrow. I always wait for the IS to kick in after pressing the shutter half way, so I know that's not it, but thanks, the is the exact kind of information I'm looking for. Maybe someone will hit on something I'm not doing I should be and I'm just missing it. I doubt it, but maybe.

Thank You

Bill

Revo
439 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2011 01:28 |  #4

Note that they always say "up to x stops of stabilization." They say this because it's not always 4 stops, but in certain situations can be.

It all depends on the person. Someone with really steady hands could probably pull off 5-6 stops with the same lens that someone with shaky hands can only get a stop or two out of.

That said, I find pretty much all lenses are good to at least half of their advertised stabilization amount in any situation.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D | Canon G11
24-105L| 70-200L IS II | 2x III Extender | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
Full Gear List | Feedback

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 05, 2011 02:46 |  #5

Hitthespot wrote in post #12159911 (external link)
Details:

Tonight I was shooting pictures of a bag with text on it.
Approximately 15 feet away.
Flash on.
FL=200mm
AV mode
Shutter Speed used was 1/60 and 1/250 @ f/4

In all shots taken the pictures are very sharp with no image stabaliztion and very soft (comparably speaking) when I turn it on.

Bill, when you are using flash for the lighting (assuming it completely overpowers the ambient light), you can typically use very slow shutter speeds and not have any camera/lens motion blur. That's because the duration of the flash output is so short that it is like using a very fast shutter speed. Thus, Image Stabilization does virtually nothing for you when using flash.

I suspect that you have focusing problems, but posting your photos will help us figure that out. Chances are good that the problem is operator error of one form or another.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Hitthespot
THREAD ­ STARTER
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 08:08 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #6

Thanks Skip,

now that it's day time I will run some more tests without flash. I'm figuring operator error also but my luck has been to get bad equipment. I'm beginning to think my local camera shop is a junk shop.

Hitthespot
THREAD ­ STARTER
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 08:59 as a reply to  @ Hitthespot's post |  #7

Here is some samples I took today. While the problem seems directly related to the IS and flash, during some outside testing I noticed that with the IS on the camera will completely miss the focusing point. The red box will show on an item but the camera will focus somewhere completely different. No where near the red box.

In both the photos below I am focusing directly on the F in fresh Step with spot focusing. All EXIF info should be identical in both photos.

This does not happen everytime. Outside 95% of the time the IS works like it is suppose to. But every now and then I get the below results or the focusing in the wrong spot problem.

I am completely confused!

Bill
without is

IMAGE: http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4105/withoutis.jpg

With IS
IMAGE: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3259/withis.jpg

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,209 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 05, 2011 10:32 |  #8

you can put your camera into live view...use the 10X zoom, and half depress the shutter with IS both on and off...you should see it stabilize with it on fairly easily...you probably don't notice it outside because you're shutter speeds are high enough that IS has no effect at all...take a shot without flash at 1/50 @ 200mm...if the IS on one isn't sharper, something is wrong

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Hitthespot
THREAD ­ STARTER
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 10:46 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #9

DreDaze thank you for your comments. When I place the lens in IS mode you CAN in fact see it stabalize the picture. But every now and then I get the results above, especially with the flash on. I'm not saying it is a problem but the camera/lens definitely takes better flash pictures most of the time with IS off. The above photo's proves it. I don't know why and was hoping someone here would have an explanation. If I understand IS correctly it should definitely never make the picture worse, but it does time and time again.

Again thank you for your comments, I'm hoping someone knows the answer or if I have a faulty camera / lens, AGAIN!

Bill

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 05, 2011 11:18 |  #10

Bill - what sort of setup are you using for focus control? I don't know your camera but, in my 20D, I can choose from "one shot"/"AI focus"/"AI Servo" settings. I can also choose the focus point, and I always use the center point.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Hitthespot
THREAD ­ STARTER
554 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 05, 2011 12:04 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #11

I'm using a 7D, one shot. Lens is set to autofocus, IS mode 1. I am using spot focus center point.

Maybe I'm just gun shy since my first purchase of the 7D and 24-105mm f/4L lens was both bad. I've replaced them both since I purchased them the beginning of March. I just took over 100 pictures flash on, off, and outside pictures and in every case the IS is working beautifully and the pictures are much sharper than anything I ever got with film and non-L lenses.

I don't know what is causing the problem above every now and then. I stated it happened most of the time but that was all last night. This morning most pictures are fine with the exception of a few like the example above. It may just be me shaking real bad with the IS on vs not shaking no where near as bad with the IS off. The funny thing is though, in the example above the IQ is also better setting focus aside. Contrast and exposure is also better and these pictures were taken seconds apart with the same settings except the IS being turned off. Anyway, I went back and looked at the photo that had focused completey wrong compared to the red focus point, and though I feel completely stupid now, I believe it was because I shot it through a double pane, tinted window filled with gas between the panes. DUH. Hardly a picture to use as an example for improper focusing. However I did shoot some ducks a couple of days ago and had one picture completely out of focus with the Red square perfectly on target, and one picture tack sharp with the Red square 2 feet behind the duck and a aperature of f/4. These camera's are all software driven now and I just think everynow and then they get confused and make mistakes. As long as it's only 1 picture in a 100 I'm not going to worry about it.

If you can think of anything, even if it seems simple don't be shy about hurting my feelings, I'm more interested in solving a problem than worrying about an insinuation I'm not knowledgeable enough.

Thanks a lot Skip, and everyone who's tried to help. I appreciate it.

Bill

sponsored links

1,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
Image Stabalization Problem?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.