Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 06 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

looking for advice for shooting a 1st bday

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 12:05 |  #1

hey guys

my best friend just asked me if i would be the "designated" photog at his nephew's 1st bday. needless to say, i was quite honored to be asked this.

this will be just a friends&family event at their house, so nothing formal... that being said, am a bit worried about the quality of pics. my kit is 17-50 2.8 and 24-105 f4. i have a 30mm f1.4 on the way but i doubt it will get here by this weekend. also have a 430exii, but its fairly bright in the house.

a 1st bday is pretty important to the parents, so i want to make sure i give them the best pics i can. i think my equipment will be fine for this (again) informal occasion, but i was more concerned with the technique. what would you seasoned pros recommend to look for in terms of framing/composition?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 08, 2011 11:44 |  #2

bump

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

MommaBird80
345 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 09, 2011 19:21 |  #3

you should do good with the 17-50 and the flash! Make sure you have you flash exp lowered and get there early to get it right before the shin did starts. Also its a great time to get pics of the bday boy alone checking out stuff and mom and dad pics. Also make sure you get the decorations!!!! They worked hard on those!!! Good luck!

Canon 7D - XSi 450D gripped/ EF 50mm f/1.4 / Tamron - AF 28-75/2.8 XR/ 85 1.8 USM/ 380EX flash
There will always be someone that takes better pictures than me so that just gives me so much more desire to learn :)

MommaBird80
345 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 09, 2011 19:23 |  #4

Oh! Make sure you are up front and center when that cake comes out and also potty b4 it starts!!!!!

Canon 7D - XSi 450D gripped/ EF 50mm f/1.4 / Tamron - AF 28-75/2.8 XR/ 85 1.8 USM/ 380EX flash
There will always be someone that takes better pictures than me so that just gives me so much more desire to learn :)

Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 09, 2011 20:30 |  #5

I would shoot this in AV mode, with exposure compensation (NOT flash exposure compensation) set to underexpose by a stop, and set the flash to ETTL and bounce it off the ceiling.

Doing so will result in your main light being the nice, soft, bounced flash, while having the ambient provide fill.

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickr (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 09, 2011 23:12 |  #6

thanks for the advice. i was wrong, it isnt in a house, they are doing it at a restaurant, and i can only guess what the lighting will be like. i am bringing both lenses (unfortunately the 30 1.4 didnt come in yet) and im hoping there is plenty of ambient so i dont need to use the flash

austin, that is fantastic advice!!! i tried it at home just now, and i loved how it came out. this is exactly what i am looking to learn to do.

did you mean -1, or -1/3? i tried it with -1

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 10, 2011 07:45 |  #7

I suggest shooting in manual and ETTL on the flash. In a restaurant, perhaps something like ISO 800; f/4.0; 1/60. Then bounce your flash adjusting the FEC as necessary.

If you shoot Av, the camera is going to meter for the ambient lighting and use the flash for fill light, so you may have extremely slow shutter speeds which will cause motion blur.

Dave Hoffmann

Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 10, 2011 15:50 |  #8

ekinnyc wrote in post #12192311 (external link)
thanks for the advice. i was wrong, it isnt in a house, they are doing it at a restaurant, and i can only guess what the lighting will be like. i am bringing both lenses (unfortunately the 30 1.4 didnt come in yet) and im hoping there is plenty of ambient so i dont need to use the flash

austin, that is fantastic advice!!! i tried it at home just now, and i loved how it came out. this is exactly what i am looking to learn to do.

did you mean -1, or -1/3? i tried it with -1

Well it's all up to preference. Underexposing by a stop will force attention to the flash-lit portion of the frame (the subject), but still provide background detail.

-1 is underexposing by one stop. -1/3 is underexposing by one-third of a stop. One stop = twice the light. Stopping down from f/5.6 to f/8 (one stop) will result in half as much light hitting the camera sensor.

I'm glad it worked well for you :)

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickr (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2011 20:50 |  #9

well, the event came and went... i tried to remember all of the advice you guys gave me, but ultimately i just left the flash on E-TTL with FEC 0, and used my current set of skills. it was tough to keep up with kids and parents running around while also trying to compose each shot and try to remember how to properly expose it with/w-out flash. sure, i missed some moments, but captured some great ones - namely the happy parents and the 1yr old, whcih is all they were really expecting. i was bouncing the flash, mostly at 45 degrees, which helped immensely. the place was bright enough where i could comfortably use my 24-105 and not worry about blur (im sure IS helped, but with kids running around, it was tough to get some moments). all in all, i think the pictures came out pretty well (at least on a 3" screen). they knew i wasnt a pro, nor was i doing artistry. they were looking for pics that a point-n-shoot simply couldnt pull out.

needless to say, its a long learning curve, and it will take a long time before this pops into my head as fast as aperture/shutter reciprocity do now

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

1,518 views & 0 likes for this thread
looking for advice for shooting a 1st bday
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.