Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

do these images/crops look too soft? paranoid about my 7D taking soft pictures

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 06, 2011 20:34 |  #16

7D will show up ANY flaws in technique or lens at 100%.

The 50/1.8 is soft at 1.8, it gets good by 2.5.

I had to dial mine in to about +3 or +4 MA to get it to focus spot on, and I have more 'luck' with it when I use spot focusing and use the right focus point (no focus and recompose).

As for shutter speeds, 2 * focal length is a better guestimate for sharp pics unless your technique is great (or you get lucky).

Remember crop factor of 1.6 + super high density sensor.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2011 20:39 |  #17

Try the same shot but use Liveview 10x and manually focus. Put the lens in MF, first.

That should remove the human factor and any lens adjustment that may be needed for AF.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

robtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 20:40 |  #18

i'm not sure..i just did the exact same settings, WB, flash, at the same spot, focused on the same point, the 7D is significantly blurrier. the shots look pretty decent, but zoomed in it's not changing a whole lot. could the nifty have that much effect? i'm getting an 85mm 1.8 in the mail hopefully friday, but i'm thinking i have to send this body in to canon.

edit- will try liveview now

5Dmkii ~ Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ~ Canon 35L

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,193 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 06, 2011 20:45 |  #19

You are shooting RAW but not processing the photo the way it needs be be done.It needs to be sharpened in LR3.
Your photo sharpened . Using your small jpg is not the way to do it but you can see a difference.
Get away from using the very small f stops to judge the photo.Use 5.6 as a start.

robtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 20:54 |  #20

thanks for the tips guys

bohdank's tip about liveview/MF first/x5 helped quite a bit. i just took another shot and i could already tell a difference zooming in reviewing the picture on the lcd.

gooch - i normally sharpen and remove noise in LR and then export in jpg, but with all the copies i was making of the pic, i could have grabbed the wrong one. but is my original work flow right?

i guess i just expected the advanced AF on the 7D to be the same as my T2i's just more options.

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 06, 2011 20:54 |  #21

I dont think your camera is soft...

Thats an uber crop of that eyeball and your shutter speed is pretty slow for 50mm on a crop body. Plus, the little bit of noise reduction you did could have hurt sharpness a bit too.

As for the first brick wall, the crop you gave us looks to be from a part that is nearing the edge of your DOF - could be starting to get out of the focus plane there.

Also a contributing factor is your 50 1.8 - not exactly the sharpest lens wide open and the not known for its focus accuracy.

Finally, your shots from the 7D will NEED a sharpness boost coming from RAW to make up for the strong anti-aliasing filter. Cant expect a RAW image to come out looking like a razor....

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

robtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 21:06 |  #22

you guys don't know how happy i am that i was prematurely thinking my camera body was bad instead of just realizing how much of a novice i am.

better? a bit of sharpening, didn't mess with the WB though.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 06, 2011 21:09 |  #23

Yep, now stop worrying about brick walls and focus charts. Go out and shoot with that camera!

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 06, 2011 21:09 |  #24

Heres a shot from my 50/1.8 and 7D after MA.

IMAGE: http://www.zarphag.com/images/7dstuff/bowlSmall.jpg

And full sized (external link).

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2011 21:34 |  #25

robtk wrote in post #12173274 (external link)
thanks for the tips guys

bohdank's tip about liveview/MF first/x5 helped quite a bit. i just took another shot and i could already tell a difference zooming in reviewing the picture on the lcd.

gooch - i normally sharpen and remove noise in LR and then export in jpg, but with all the copies i was making of the pic, i could have grabbed the wrong one. but is my original work flow right?

i guess i just expected the advanced AF on the 7D to be the same as my T2i's just more options.

The first images were soft. No amount of sharpening would have given you good results.

So, if the sharpness is much better using MF it means you should micro adjust the camera for that lens. Sometimes specific copies of a lens do not work well with a specific copy of a body. Search the board for micro adjust or MA to get comfortable with how to do it.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

robtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 22:52 |  #26

bohdank wrote in post #12173500 (external link)
The first images were soft. No amount of sharpening would have given you good results.

So, if the sharpness is much better using MF it means you should micro adjust the camera for that lens. Sometimes specific copies of a lens do not work well with a specific copy of a body. Search the board for micro adjust or MA to get comfortable with how to do it.

damn. just did a MA to +7 and it's waaaay better. thanks for the tip, gonna do this on my tokina tomorrow.

robtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 22:57 |  #27

what would i do without you people..?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 07, 2011 06:33 |  #28

Enjoy....

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Stamp
680 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 07, 2011 06:58 |  #29

robtk wrote in post #12173348 (external link)
you guys don't know how happy i am that i was prematurely thinking my camera body was bad instead of just realizing how much of a novice i am.

This happens far too often on the 7d, and it gets a bad reputation for the owner's lack of skills/knowledge/readi​ng ability. Glad you got it sorted out. Both of my L's needed a bit of MA'ing to get them dialed in as well.

1Ds Mark II, 5D Mark III, Canon AE1, Yashica Electro 35, Mamiya RB67, Yashica 124, some lenses with red rings on them, and some flashey things
- My Site (external link) -
- Like It On Facebook (external link) -

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 10, 2011 19:00 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

mrgooch wrote in post #12173243 (external link)
You are shooting RAW but not processing the photo the way it needs be be done.It needs to be sharpened in LR3.
Your photo sharpened . Using your small jpg is not the way to do it but you can see a difference.
Get away from using the very small f stops to judge the photo.Use 5.6 as a start.

Just about the worst advise ever, your basically advising him to keep and accept a faulty camera/lens. Sharpening in software, degrades the image and causes artifacts, and generally makes the image look un-natural, sharpening should only have to be used sparingly.
With a 50mm 1.8, if focus is correct the images should be sharp at F2, if they are consistently un-sharp, either the camera or lens is duff and needs calibration.

sponsored links

17,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
do these images/crops look too soft? paranoid about my 7D taking soft pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.