Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IS vs non IS lens

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 22:45 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

70-200mm f/4L IS lens vs the 70-200mm f/4L without IS lens.

I would like to buy one of these lens but before I do I wanted to know what's the differents in using them, I will only be taking Landscape pictures and sometimes parks, with a (monopod) is the non-IS lens any good if people was to walk about in the background or birds fly about! or not. or is the IS lens better for this if this happens.

Thank you.:D

Gear List

sponsored links
itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 06, 2011 22:53 |  #2

The IS will only help with non-moving subjects. If you are getting motion blur from too low of a shutter speed, obviously IS will not help that.

The IS version is a little better optically as well though, so IS is not the only difference.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,511 posts
Gallery: 406 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 06, 2011 22:58 |  #3

IS will allow you to handhold at slower shutter speeds, and make you steadier at faster speeds, but as mentioned above that wont help you freeze motion of the subject. But the IS version of that lens is considerably sharper, its a total optical upgrade, not just adding IS to the old lens. Until canon introduced the new mark II 2.8 IS, it was canon's sharpest zoom lens.

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 06, 2011 22:58 |  #4

I first had the non-IS. That was fine for daytime shooting around the parks, birds, action shots, portraits, etc., as long as there is sufficient light. Once the sun starts going down, the non-IS becomes very difficult to shoot with, even if you're shooting non-moving subjects. I usually have to keep a shutter speed of at least 1/160 to 1/200 to get acceptable (not 100% sharp) shots of still subjects; even faster speeds if it is moving (duh).

I find that the IS makes the lens much more versatile for every day use from moving subjects to portraits, daytime or night time. I can shoot still subjects at 1/30 with the IS on. That's a tremendous difference. the IS even helps me in studio shots since the maximum trigger sync speed on my RF-602s is 1/200. I can rest assured that there will be no risk of camera shake when I take studio portraits.

My advice: buy a used non-IS first and see how you like it. At the same time, start saving up for the IS version or another lens. If you think you'll need the IS version, then sell yours and buy it. That's how I experienced both lenses.

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

CanonEOS
THREAD ­ STARTER
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2011 23:34 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

XxDJCyberLoverxX wrote in post #12173861 (external link)
I first had the non-IS. That was fine for daytime shooting around the parks, birds, action shots, portraits, etc., as long as there is sufficient light. Once the sun starts going down, the non-IS becomes very difficult to shoot with, even if you're shooting non-moving subjects. I usually have to keep a shutter speed of at least 1/160 to 1/200 to get acceptable (not 100% sharp) shots of still subjects; even faster speeds if it is moving (duh).

I find that the IS makes the lens much more versatile for every day use from moving subjects to portraits, daytime or night time. I can shoot still subjects at 1/30 with the IS on. That's a tremendous difference. the IS even helps me in studio shots since the maximum trigger sync speed on my RF-602s is 1/200. I can rest assured that there will be no risk of camera shake when I take studio portraits.

My advice: buy a used non-IS first and see how you like it. At the same time, start saving up for the IS version or another lens. If you think you'll need the IS version, then sell yours and buy it. That's how I experienced both lenses.

I should have made my purpose clear I only want to using one of these lenses for daytime photos only, so you said the non -IS lens is ok for moving objects in the background? I know the non-IS lens is cheaper than the IS lens,

Gear List

Nick5
Goldmember
3,300 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 07, 2011 00:11 |  #6

The 70-200 f/4 L IS is one of nicest lenses Canon makes.
Light weight for walking around.
For me, when in doubt, IS.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Revo
439 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 07, 2011 00:24 |  #7

CanonEOS wrote in post #12173806 (external link)
70-200mm f/4L IS lens vs the 70-200mm f/4L without IS lens.

I would like to buy one of these lens but before I do I wanted to know what's the differents in using them, I will only be taking Landscape pictures and sometimes parks, with a (monopod) is the non-IS lens any good if people was to walk about in the background or birds fly about! or not. or is the IS lens better for this if this happens.

Thank you.:D

For landscape, IS is always useful. IS is useful for allowing slow shutter speeds when you have a still subject. Obviously, landscapes are still.

So, if you can afford the IS version, I would definitely get it.

However, for landscape, you typically want the widest lens possible (I'm a big landscape person and I find this true for my style of landscape shooting), so it may be beneficial to you to buy the non-IS version and invest the difference into a wider lens (if you don't already have one).

Revo

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D | Canon G11
24-105L| 70-200L IS II | 2x III Extender | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
Full Gear List | Feedback

CanonEOS
THREAD ­ STARTER
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 07, 2011 02:06 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Revo wrote in post #12174223 (external link)
For landscape, IS is always useful. IS is useful for allowing slow shutter speeds when you have a still subject. Obviously, landscapes are still.

So, if you can afford the IS version, I would definitely get it.

However, for landscape, you typically want the widest lens possible (I'm a big landscape person and I find this true for my style of landscape shooting), so it may be beneficial to you to buy the non-IS version and invest the difference into a wider lens (if you don't already have one).

Revo

Thank you for your suggestions on the IS lens and non-IS, All my lenese have IS, but the non-IS might be the best bet because I will always use my monopod,

Gear List

Revo
439 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 07, 2011 02:51 |  #9

CanonEOS wrote in post #12174605 (external link)
Thank you for your suggestions on the IS lens and non-IS, All my lenese have IS, but the non-IS might be the best bet because I will always use my monopod,

A monopod, while helpful to keeping a steady camera, does not reduce the usefulness of IS. Only a tripod will ensure a totally steady camera (and it doesn't always ensure it).

To me, a monopod doesn't do anything camera shake wise, all it does is help framing when using heavier lenses or else you typically just get the bobble up and down in the view finder and you struggle with the weight.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D | Canon G11
24-105L| 70-200L IS II | 2x III Extender | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
Full Gear List | Feedback

CanonEOS
THREAD ­ STARTER
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 07, 2011 03:58 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Revo wrote in post #12174721 (external link)
A monopod, while helpful to keeping a steady camera, does not reduce the usefulness of IS. Only a tripod will ensure a totally steady camera (and it doesn't always ensure it).

To me, a monopod doesn't do anything camera shake wise, all it does is help framing when using heavier lenses or else you typically just get the bobble up and down in the view finder and you struggle with the weight.

I know I have too buy a tripod one day, and if the ground is soft than a tripod is no use just like the monopod there is always advantage or disadvantage of use, anyway I just didn't want to carry allot's of gear, so if I just buy the IS verson it limits the shake and bur photos. I have just been look at the "EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM" it's cheaper than the 70-200mm in HK china

What I wanted to know is before 'IS' came to the lenses what did the professional use before to take great landscape pictures?

Gear List

tomme
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 07, 2011 04:33 as a reply to  @ CanonEOS's post |  #11

^tripod and hyperfocal distance

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 07, 2011 04:57 |  #12

-wrong thread-

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 07, 2011 06:49 |  #13

Here's a thread that's been active about IS you might be interested in:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1024252

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ceegee
Goldmember
2,323 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 07, 2011 06:53 |  #14

Having owned one lens without IS in this focal range (Sigma 70-200 f2.8 non-IS), I would not now buy another one. IS is extremely useful; my keeper rate went up when I replaced my non-IS lens with the f4 IS version. If you can afford the IS version, I'd suggest you get it. You're unlikely to regret it.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 07, 2011 07:16 |  #15

I've owned both IS and non-IS 70-200mm lens and I would recommend the IS version without a doubt. It is not the same lens w/image stabilization added, the optics are better in general.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

31,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
IS vs non IS lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.