Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

center AF vs 9-point AF

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 07, 2011 22:37 |  #1

the T2i has 9-point AF, however, i keep mine on center point AF always. this way, i can pick what i want to focus on, and recompose as necessary.

am i giving anything up by using center point AF 100% of the time?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Apr 07, 2011 22:39 |  #2

ekinnyc wrote in post #12180682 (external link)

Nope. You're doing it right.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

SiriS
109 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 08, 2011 04:39 |  #3

the T2i has 9-point AF, however, i keep mine on center point AF always. this way, i can pick what i want to focus on, and recompose as necessary.

I use your method 95% of the time. The other 5% is when I'm using extremely thin DOF (e.g. 50mm at f1.8) where recomposing often throws my focal plane off kilter. For me using the other AF points in situations like this helps focus and composition.

Canon 550D | 15 - 85 IS | 70 - 300 IS| 35 f/2 | 50 f/1.4 | 430EX II | Canon S95
FLICKR (external link)

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 08, 2011 07:35 |  #4

You're giving up a bit of accuracy compared to using an outer focus point.

I would never give the camera control, but I regularly switch focus point when using F2.8 and faster lenses, especially for print work.

Gear

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 08, 2011 07:59 |  #5

I have my 20D set to center-point-only all the time. However, I don't always use autofocus.

I have the autofocus actuation triggered by the * button (under my right thumb when holding the camera) so that pressing the shutter release button does nothing for focusing. Thus, I can choose to activate autofocus or not. Because I am using lenses with "full time manual focus", I can manually focus them simply by using the focus ring on the lens and NOT pressing the * button.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

wizard2340
53 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 08, 2011 07:59 |  #6

If you are using a very narrow DOF you may not always get the item you want in focus after recomposing. When I first started using my Sigma 50 1.4 I would always center focus and recompose. I thought something was wrong with my lense when all my shots were OOF, but it figured out that the slight change in angle will make you object OOF. I still generally use center focus to get it in the range but then manually focus right before I shoot.

Canon 40D Sigma 50/1.4 Tamron 17-50/2.8 Non-VC Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 08, 2011 09:04 |  #7

this is some good info right here. only one of my lenses supports FTM unfortunately. ill have to keep this in mind when shooting with my 30 1.4!!!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 08, 2011 09:21 |  #8

There are very few situations when I use the other AF Points. Otherwise I would use the center and recompose.
If you use any of the six AF points surrounding the center then you are essentially using the rule of thirds.
If I am shooting something that won't afford me the chance to recompose the shot I will use one of the others. For example:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

nepali
974 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 08, 2011 11:16 |  #9

Center-point AF is the least used point on my 7D! :)

[Current Gears: Sony α7 III | Sony 24-105mm ƒ/4 | Sony 85mm ƒ/1.8 | YN-560 III]
[Feedbacks: #1, #2]

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 08, 2011 11:25 |  #10

While all of the answers given in this thread are correct, I'm not sure how many of the respondents actually read the question in the title and first post.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 08, 2011 11:39 |  #11

krb wrote in post #12183460 (external link)
While all of the answers given in this thread are correct, I'm not sure how many of the respondents actually read the question in the title and first post.

How so?

You're giving up a bit of accuracy compared to using an outer focus point.

Gear

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 08, 2011 13:14 |  #12

If you are asking about using all 9 points and letting the camera choose, that can be a headache because the camera can often choose the wrong point(s) for your composition, so I'd say the center point is better, yes, but as others have pointed out it can be better for some scenes to choose an outer point. So if you learn to switch single points and stay away from All points you could benefit. Sure, there are some scenarios where All points could be harmless, I just have never wanted to go that route.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 08, 2011 13:22 |  #13

what would be the benefit of using an outer point, other than in narrow DOF situations?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 08, 2011 13:25 |  #14

ekinnyc wrote in post #12184100 (external link)
what would be the benefit of using an outer point, other than in narrow DOF situations?

Like the portrait shown above, you can get the right framing for a subject and not have to bother with recomposing. I do it all the time. Of course, shooting with a narrow depth of field can make this mandatory, and I often shoot with a pretty narrow depth of field, but in general I like to keep my subjects properly framed and that's what the outer points are for.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 08, 2011 13:29 |  #15

Sp1207 wrote in post #12183526 (external link)
How so?

Is the title of this thread "center AF vs 9-point AF" or is it "center AF point vs off-center AF point"?

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

8,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
center AF vs 9-point AF
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.