Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Oct 2005 (Sunday) 10:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A little Help/Suggestions? Civil War Era look

Okiewan
189 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 02, 2005 10:41 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Okay, short background; my dad does the Civil War reenactment thing all over Illinois, based out of Galena (historic Civil War Era town). Hey, it's one of his many retirement hobbies!

Recently took some shots of him, planing to make a large frame print for his office as a gift, he is unaware.

Okay, below is the original and what I've got so far. Besides the obvious color change, I took a lot of it out of focus to similate what I assume were very large apature shots typically done in the field back in the day.

Any suggestions on how to make it look more realistic? My search for actions/filters returns nothing, so it's going to have to be a "manual" process I suppose. I made a 13x19 with Sepia tones, but research tells me that tone isn't very accurate. A more neutral black and white seems more correct. By the way, the Epson R2400 is incredible!

Thanks in advance for looking.

1) Original, no processing of any kind;

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

2) Where I'm at now;
IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

1DsMkIII . 7D . 20D . , Lot's o' red-ringed Glass.

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 02, 2005 11:05 |  #2

How about using a sepia tone like color, applying a bit more contrast and adding some noise...

[edit: Although, now that I've studied your B&W image a little more carefully, the above suggestions might work better applied to your B&W image than the original colored version.]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

...Leo

Okiewan
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 02, 2005 11:07 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks but...

. I made a 13x19 with Sepia tones, but research tells me that tone isn't very accurate.

Will try the noise and contrast.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 02, 2005 19:15 as a reply to  @ Okiewan's post |  #4

Okiewan wrote:
Thanks but...

Will try the noise and contrast.

Oops! :o Missed that part of your post.

I took a look at a couple of photos from the Civil War era and tried to replicate the look. Not sure if I succeeded (I can tell you, it ain't as easy as it looks, is it?) but did I come even close to what you were looking for?

HOSTED PHOTO

...Leo

Okiewan
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 02, 2005 19:18 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Cool! let me know what you did? Thanks for the effort :)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 02, 2005 20:30 as a reply to  @ Okiewan's post |  #6

Okiewan wrote:
Cool! let me know what you did? Thanks for the effort :)

What did I do? Frankly, I did a LOT of things, you know the "trial and error" type stuff, just trying to get the image to look like the one of General Ulysses S. Grant (http://www.multimedial​ibrary.com …s/IM11JPEGS/111​-B2363.jpg (external link)) I was using as a model.

Working with the original color photo you posted, I cropped it to the 8x10 aspect ratio and...

2) Created Channel Mixer adjustment layer, checked the Monochrome option box and set the color channels as follows:

Red: 30
Green: 60
Blue: 10
Constant: 0

3) Created a Levels adj. layer to lighten the midtone of the image somewhat since the face of your father was too dark after the conversion to B&W in the previous step.

4) Created a Curves adj. layer to adjust the contrast of the image, mostly to darken the dark areas a bit more.

Actually, I ended up creating 1 Levels layers, 2 Curves layers and 1 Brightness/Contrast layers to get the look I was happy with (see attached). :confused:

5) When I was satisfied with the general contrast and tone of the image, I merged all the layers together and then created a duplicate of the merged layer.

6) Next step was to "age" the photo with some noise using Filter > Noise > Add Noise. I used a mask to add noise to the background (10 pixels)..

7) After deselecting the selection, I applied a little bit more noise to the whole picture (4 or 5 pixels).

8 ) Reselecting the background, I applied a little bit of gaussian blur (1 pixel) to soften the noise in the background.

9) Added a vignetting effect by making a selection around the subject using a sort of a wavy pattern. Feather the selection to 15 pixels and then invert the selection so that the subject is not selected but the background is.

10) Create a new Curves adj. layer and drop the point on the upper right hand corner halfway down the side (you should see the selected area darken). Adjust the opacity of the layer so that the vignetting is there but not really obvious. It should be very subtle.

11) Flatten the layers again and create a duplicate of the flattened layer.

12) To further "age" the image, I changed the Black tone to a more brownish color using the Levels adj. layer, clicking on Options... and changing the Shadows color from black to an RGB color of R=43, G=35, B=22 (or something like that).

13) At this point, I thought I was as close as I could get to the look I wanted. However, the image looked too "sharp". Trying to use the gaussian blur filter just didn't really help since it blurred the details too much. So, I tried using Filter > Blur > Lens Blur... I had never used this option before so I was pleased to see that it did what I wanted it to do. The settings I used were:

Iris: Shape- Pentagon (5)
Blade Curvature- 44
Rotation - 0

Noise: Amount - 10

The other parameters were left as is (repeated below in case yours are set differently):

Depth Map: Source - None
Blur Focal Distance = 0

Specular Highlights: Brightness - 0
Threshold - 255

Distrubution - Uniform

Monochromatic not checked

HOSTED PHOTO

...Leo

Okiewan
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 02, 2005 21:00 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Serious detail my friend! Thanks for taking the time, way more than I would have expected!

Now off to experiment. Regards!

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 02, 2005 22:02 |  #8

Leo, this should get posted in the Tutorials thread. This is good stuff.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 03, 2005 07:30 as a reply to  @ Scottes's post |  #9

Scottes wrote:
Leo, this should get posted in the Tutorials thread. This is good stuff.

Thanks, Scott.

If Okiewan doesn't mind my posting it there (since this is his thread), I can put a link to this thread in the Tutorial thread.

...Leo

Mernya
146 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 03, 2005 07:43 |  #10

I suppose a couple of other things to see would be the curves/histogram from the US Grant one and try to match it in terms of contrast and what-not. Also, a Match Grain command in something like Grain Surgery might help, too.

-Mike
[7D: 28-135mm IS USM]

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 03, 2005 08:09 as a reply to  @ Mernya's post |  #11

Mernya wrote:
I suppose a couple of other things to see would be the curves/histogram from the US Grant one and try to match it in terms of contrast and what-not. Also, a Match Grain command in something like Grain Surgery might help, too.

I'm not sure how the curves or histogram from the Grant picture would help. DIsplaying the curves of an image would just show you a line with a slope of 45 degrees. The only time it would change is when the tones have been changed using the curves tool relative to what it was before. And all the histogram would show is the distribution of the tones for that particular image. But if i'm missing something and you know something I don't, I'm always willing to learn. :)

...Leo

EricKonieczny
675 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 03, 2005 08:59 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #12

Okiewan,

Please take a look here https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=89166

I posted some Civil War Photos before and it has some of my techniques for Sepia/ B&W toning.

The B&W actions is the TLR B&W action set, then I also used the Channel Mixer sliders in Monochrome.

Hope this helps

EKREATING photography - capture the feeling! (external link)
20D w/Grip|28-105 f3.5-4.5|70-200 f2.8L IS|10-22|580EX w/ ST-E2|Tripod 3021BPRO w/ 488RC2 Midi Ballhead & TC-80N3 Remote|Archos GMini 400|Tamrac Expedition 5

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 03, 2005 10:29 as a reply to  @ EricKonieczny's post |  #13

Here's my attempt...

IMAGE: http://rtmiller.smugmug.com/photos/38513073-L.jpg
Saturation 0
Film Grain 5
Highlight area 2
Intensity 3
Gaussian Blur 0.5
Slight levels adjustment

or

IMAGE: http://rtmiller.smugmug.com/photos/38525174-L.jpg

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

EricKonieczny
675 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 03, 2005 11:17 as a reply to  @ RTMiller's post |  #14

Here is my quick edit,

Boost Color, Contrast, Sharpen with 3 pass technqique, Flatten Image

Make background copy, convert copy to B*W using Action, brighthen it up 10%,

Sepia tone original Copy, Set Opacity to 75% , Flatten Layers,

Add noise using Filter> Add Noise

IMAGE NOT FOUND
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

EKREATING photography - capture the feeling! (external link)
20D w/Grip|28-105 f3.5-4.5|70-200 f2.8L IS|10-22|580EX w/ ST-E2|Tripod 3021BPRO w/ 488RC2 Midi Ballhead & TC-80N3 Remote|Archos GMini 400|Tamrac Expedition 5

Okiewan
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2005 12:34 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. This will be cool and mean a lot to him.

sponsored links

2,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
A little Help/Suggestions? Civil War Era look
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.