Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 08 Apr 2011 (Friday) 15:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Virus?

rw2
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 08, 2011 15:26 |  #1

Something got into one of my external hard drives and renamed some files. These are raw files and some PSD and jpgs. They files names look like symbols. I can't rename them. Any ideas?

If you're afraid of failure ... you'll never succeed!
Rob

sponsored links
solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 08, 2011 17:31 |  #2

I doubt it's a virus - probably corrupted directory entries. Try running antivirus, malware scans.
Then copy all the files to another drive, then try running chkdsk (if you have Windows - if a Mac, can't help you).

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

rw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 08, 2011 17:41 |  #3

solara wrote in post #12185261 (external link)
I doubt it's a virus - probably corrupted directory entries. Try running antivirus, malware scans.
Then copy all the files to another drive, then try running chkdsk (if you have Windows - if a Mac, can't help you).

I tried McAfee and Malware bytes with no problems found. I was told that the person using this had a windows system warning come up and clicked on that. He was visiting some web site for looking up people.

This is a Pc running Win 7.
Right now I have disconnected the drive. Not sure if it will cause other problems. I have all files backed up expect the last couple of weeks.

Rob

rw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 08, 2011 20:09 |  #4

I ran the chkdsk and that did it . Thank you for your help.

Rob

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 09, 2011 07:52 |  #5

Quite possibly it's a sign that your hard drive's days are numbered. Probably be a good idea to think aout replacing it. Definitely a good idea to make sure your backup routine is effective.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

rw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 09, 2011 10:10 |  #6

hollis_f wrote in post #12188643 (external link)
Quite possibly it's a sign that your hard drive's days are numbered. Probably be a good idea to think aout replacing it. Definitely a good idea to make sure your backup routine is effective.

Thanks since it just reverted again after I was able to back up the few files I had not gotten to yet, that's the plan.

Rob

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 09, 2011 12:25 |  #7

rw2 wrote in post #12185331 (external link)
...I was told that the person using this had a windows system warning come up and clicked on that. He was visiting some web site for looking up people...

I'm confused... Some "person" gained access to your external drive? Who told you this?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 09, 2011 13:28 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #8

About malware and Windows. Don´t run your windows as an admin. That´s how people installing malware. I would even say that running windows not as admin are more safe than to use an antivirus.
If you having XP, disable Autoplay. Autoplay makes malwares from USB possible. Windows 7 and Vista have Autoplay disable as default.

Some pictures (external link)
IR-converterd 1000D, D30, M5, 7D, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 300/2,8L IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, Helios 58/2 - - - - RawTherapee (external link), DPP (external link), Photomatix (external link), Darktable (external link), Luminance HDR (external link), GIMP 2.9.3, Darktable (external link)

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2011 15:54 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

rw2 wrote in post #12189155 (external link)
Thanks since it just reverted again after I was able to back up the few files I had not gotten to yet, that's the plan.

at least hard drives are cheap :)

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

aphphoto
455 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 17, 2011 14:31 |  #10

With an external drive this can also be a sign that you are not removing the drive properly. Most people just unplug the drive when they are finished with it and this is not "best practice". Instead go to the USB devices icon in the system tray, right click, go to safely remove hardware, select the appropriate drive and allow windows to "eject" the drive. Now unplug.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

sponsored links

2,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
Virus?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.