Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Lenses are Better Investments than Stocks

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2011 21:00 |  #16

I don't mind losing cash, I expected to. But taking a 25% hit on something that's still so new is ridiculous. If I was trying to sell my 5d body I would understand. but historically, lenses retain so much more of their value.

During my last round of re-doing my kit, I had no problem selling off the lenses. I had a landslide of interest and was actually able to bid my quote up from what I had originally asked. Now, 5 months later, it appears to be the exact opposite used market climate

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

sponsored links
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2011 21:15 |  #17

gibsonla wrote in post #12203569 (external link)
I don't mind losing cash, I expected to. But taking a 25% hit on something that's still so new is ridiculous. If I was trying to sell my 5d body I would understand. but historically, lenses retain so much more of their value.

During my last round of re-doing my kit, I had no problem selling off the lenses. I had a landslide of interest and was actually able to bid my quote up from what I had originally asked. Now, 5 months later, it appears to be the exact opposite used market climate

Wait a minute, you listed something for a price and then when you had more than one member offer to buy you jacked the price up?

Flickr (external link)

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2011 21:16 |  #18

I was selling on craigslist. I told a few people I already had someone interested in it who wanted to pick it up in a few days. Those 2-3 people ended up offering over my list price so they could get it instead

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2011 21:21 |  #19

I'd be very leery of people offering more than your asking price on CL. Usually you get people offering you pennies on the dollar as if you're about to wind up on the street.

Flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,853 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2011 21:36 |  #20

No offense intended, but I just looked at your ad for the 70-200. If I were in the market for that lens I would ignore it completely. Here's why:

No pics. You state in first post that it's late so you are posting with no pics, but almost a week later and still no picks. You're a photographer; it's an expensive lens in "extremely immaculate condition". Show us.

You want PayPal gift or add 3%. + shipping + insurance. Nickel and dime thing is annoying to me for a $1000+ lens. You are responsible to get it to buyer. Roll shipping and insurance in to price; offer a discount for local pickup.

Attitude seems poor for seller. I understand wanting to talk to someone who is purchasing, but you could state that without coming off sort of rude. Just say "I will require speaking to you over the phone before making a sale." Leave out "If that's a problem for you, don't bother contacting me." Some folks won't care; others will be turned off by perceived attitude.

Again, I am not trying to be a jerk, and maybe you've sold other gear with same approach, but I just think you could make it way easier on yourself with just a little effort and a little tweaking.

Good luck with it.

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2011 21:41 |  #21

No I completely understand. Not my best showcase of listing abilities. To be honest, In the past (and I've sold a lot of gear over the past year) I usually use POTN as my backup source to sell since I hate doing anything online regarding sales since paypal, shipping, etc. end up eating into your bottom line. I usually stick with craigslist/posting on a local school classifieds board for gear.

Typically when I do use POTNthough I'm a bit more on top of it. Personally swamped this week (writing back on my phone at the moment from work)

I guess my main point, and getting to it in a very round about way, is that I'm seeing an extremely lower level of interest, even basic inquiries, across the board for all selling venues for lenses/gear this time around as opposed to the last time I sold a lot of gear around 5 months ago.

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2011 21:50 |  #22

I've sold a body and lens in the last couple of weeks fairly easily within a day or two of listing. As someone who also frequently buys here I'll chime in with mpix345:

The bit about insisting on a phone conversation is really unnecessary for lower value items. Use the phone on a case by case basis if you're not completely comfortable with a prospective deal. There is a tool to search posts by a member, it is extremely useful in determining the way a prospective trading partner approaches transactions. As a buyer I don't want to go through the phone unless it's a really high dollar transaction.

Definitely drop the nickel and dime routine. It's annoying to buyers. I'll jump on something with a fixed price a lot quicker than one with the purchase price+shipping+insuran​ce+PayPal. Use FedEx or UPS for shipping things over a few hundred dollars, it's much cheaper than USPS insurance.

Flickr (external link)

jlvpeng
160 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2011 22:15 |  #23

Well, what we see today, this is because Dollar is depreciating again YEN to the lowest level and that's why All Japanese product are more expensive now....if a dollar were equal 100 some yen, I would see the lens price go down...,but then again, these price never go down..only go up...

My Gear List and Market Feedback
http://www.jlvpeng.comexternal link

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 12, 2011 10:39 |  #24

You have to take into consideration that buying new, you get a warranty. That warranty is not transferable. To me, that is worth a good discount because I don't know what I am getting. If I buy a lens new, and it is soft or has some other issue with it, it goes back. If i buy it used from a private seller, I am stuck with it.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 12, 2011 11:56 |  #25

cory1848 wrote in post #12206695 (external link)
You have to take into consideration that buying new, you get a warranty. That warranty is not transferable. To me, that is worth a good discount because I don't know what I am getting. If I buy a lens new, and it is soft or has some other issue with it, it goes back. If i buy it used from a private seller, I am stuck with it.

It's not but as long as the buyer gets the receipt and stuff canon will honor the warranty anyway. :)

amanathia.zenfolio.com

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 12, 2011 12:16 |  #26

cory1848 wrote in post #12206695 (external link)

Canon will honor warranties if the original receipt is provided. Last year I sold an L lens that was still under warranty and Canon did service it under warranty.

As to the pricing, a 20-25% loss from new price is typical even for L lenses with the exception of some really specific lenses. As far as the 70-200 f/4 IS, why would I buy one used for $1100 when I could get one direct from Canon 'refurbished' for $1079? Sellers need to take that into consideration.

Flickr (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 12, 2011 15:00 |  #27

Asterisk wrote in post #12195218 (external link)
I just saw this post, and it has data which pretty much confirms what we already all know. :)

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com/canon-lenses-better-stocks/ (external link)

This is a crazy and stupid generalization in a un-usual period of time. One one side, US or the whole world had the worst economy. One the other side, there is inflation, weak USD vs JPY. To say Canon lens is better investment than stock is like say a Honda Civic is as fast as a Farrari in a traffic jam.

It is true that if you bought a Canon lens a few years ago, and sell it today, you can probably get back what you paid for. But the same amount of money today isn't as good as that a few years ago. Inflation is a serious problem in US these days. Have that said, a decent Canon lenses still retain their value fairly good.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

Chucar
90 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 12, 2011 15:06 |  #28

gibsonla wrote in post #12203675 (external link)
I was selling on craigslist. I told a few people I already had someone interested in it who wanted to pick it up in a few days. Those 2-3 people ended up offering over my list price so they could get it instead

In my opinion that's poor sales etiquette. If you've got your asking price then it should go to the first buyer that commits to it and tell the other guys it's sold. If you're going to turn it into an auction then post it on Ebay.

I responded to a CL ad for a lens offering to pay the asking price. After several text messages back and forth to confirm the meeting time and location and taking the time to run to the bank to withdraw the cash. Basically in my mind it was a done deal, the seller texts me back an hour before we were suppose to meet and tells me he sold it to another guy offering $5 more!!! I guess he really needed the extra $5.

www.yohanchung.com (external link)

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2011 15:45 |  #29

It wasn't that extreme, the guy had offered to pick it up 3 days from now. I told him as soon as I got the emails from the other people that I was going to go with the highest offer, he said he wasn't interested anymore and we both moved on

It's a capitalistic society. If someone offers me $30 more than someone else and I provide that person to match the offer and they don't, I'm going to take the extra $30

I don't know about you. I'm a starving student sitting on a huge pile of student loans. I need all the cash I can get

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 12, 2011 16:26 |  #30

Bokehlicious wrote in post #12196009 (external link)
I don't know, I would've bought Apple stock back in 2000 if I knew.

I did. :D

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

1,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Lenses are Better Investments than Stocks
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.