Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 17:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop CS5

yjt
359 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 10, 2011 17:25 |  #1

I usually use lightroom 3 for my editing needs, I recently got CS5 at a really good price, but the program seems pretty complicated, so I'm wondering if there are any good youtube channels or anything similar to learn CS5. I see many videos on youtube on CS5 that aren't really photography related so it'll be really helpful if anyone can give some links.

7D (Gripped) || 24-70 f2.8L || 50 f1.4 || 70-200mm f4L
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
leeport
817 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 10, 2011 17:49 |  #2

If you find cs5 too complicated. PM me if you want to sell it.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 10, 2011 18:30 |  #3

yjt wrote in post #12195942 (external link)
I usually use lightroom 3 for my editing needs, I recently got CS5 at a really good price, but the program seems pretty complicated, so I'm wondering if there are any good youtube channels or anything similar to learn CS5. I see many videos on youtube on CS5 that aren't really photography related so it'll be really helpful if anyone can give some links.

I'd suggest joining up at Lynda.com -- they have excellent tutorials there that will get you started. It's a fee service, although they do have a free trial that you can use to try out their "getting started" series. The cost is like buying a good book once a month.

But don't get distracted from your Lightroom workflow because the two are supposed to work together, but it's easy to get so caught up in learning Photoshop that you neglect your overall workflow needs, which is what Lightroom is designed for.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

yjt
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 11, 2011 20:36 |  #4

tonylong wrote in post #12196218 (external link)
I'd suggest joining up at Lynda.com -- they have excellent tutorials there that will get you started. It's a fee service, although they do have a free trial that you can use to try out their "getting started" series. The cost is like buying a good book once a month.

But don't get distracted from your Lightroom workflow because the two are supposed to work together, but it's easy to get so caught up in learning Photoshop that you neglect your overall workflow needs, which is what Lightroom is designed for.

I've seen some nice actions that does Skin tones, and I can't really replicate those in lightroom that's why I really want to learn, because I take mostly portraits

7D (Gripped) || 24-70 f2.8L || 50 f1.4 || 70-200mm f4L
Flickr (external link)

sue.t
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 11, 2011 22:32 |  #5

Keep using CS5 ... play with it. Try the menu items. Dicker here. Play there. Read a lot.

When I first got CS4, I figured it had finally happened ... I was too old to learn a new program with so many features. Used it, used it more, upgraded to CS5, liked it more, used it more ... still learning. Now I'm re-editing my earlier attempts and getting better results.

One of the better magazines I read to learn is Photoshop Creative from the UK. Some of their tutorials and articles are online at http://www.photoshopcr​eative.co.uk/ (external link)

-

Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 11, 2011 22:39 |  #6

You could try www.plearn.com (external link) also. It's an awesome PS site.

Jeremy
www.500px.com/jeremycu​pp (external link)
www.twitter.com/jeremy​cupp (external link)
www.jeremycupp.com (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/jeremykcupp (external link)

Philz
248 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2011 08:29 |  #7

I pony'd up $25 bucks for Lynda.com, did the LR3 Essentials Course. Best money I ever spent. It was 29 Chapters and that was just the Essentials. I'm doing the CS5 Essentials now. Then I'll go back and do the next level courses for both. The way I figure, if you're going to spend hundreds of $ for sw, it pays to spend $25 to learn them. The LR3 course is indispensable.

7D - 50D - G11 - EOS-1 - EOS 630 - Olympus 550WP, Lights, some L - A Sig - Pocket Wizards !

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 12, 2011 08:49 |  #8

yjt wrote in post #12195942 (external link)

I've been using Photoshop for years (since before it even had layers!) and I still only know how to use maybe 60% of its features. Do not expect to become an expert any time soon. Library books would be a good cheap way to start, as would video tutorials. Lynda.com has some great stuff, but before paying you may want to see what you can get for free first.

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

bfg444
52 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 12, 2011 08:51 |  #9

Another vote for lynda.com. I've used it off and on for years for a number of programs, not just Photoshop. It's a monthly subscription that I cancel and reactivate as needed whenever there's something I want to learn or brush up on. They're very well done. Another option is free podcasts through iTunes. I've seen a couple of the same instructors there as on lynda.com, but I have yet to give them a try myself.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 12, 2011 15:12 as a reply to  @ bfg444's post |  #10

There are lots of resources available online, some great and some really bad. One of the issues I have with YouTube videos is that I have found many of them are wannabe tutorial writers and they haven't yet found the right way to do things in Photoshop. This is simply a word of caution but there are also some good ones on their.

I have that the videos at Lynda.com are better than most out there. If you registered a legal copy of Photoshop you get the option of a gift and one of these is normally a complimentary 30 day Lynda membership. The other option would be to join NAPP, it has a large library of tutorials and its membership brings along a number of other benefits.

One thing that I learned early on in Photoshop was that it was so huge that you will probably never master the whole thing. Focus on what you want to learn and don't let yourself get overwhelmed by the sheer size and capabilities of what this program can do. I never took a course but have attended some one day seminars but more in the digital drawing arena than editing photos. You may find that a tutorial is not exactly what you are looking for but there is always something that you can pick up from these, whether it be a way of managing layers to using the brush tool. I spent innumerable hours watching video tutorials and that was what got me to where I am today. I am efficient, not great but I get the job done and do it non-destructively. If you take the time to learn at a decent pace you will be efficient in photo editing in a reasonable time frame.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

1,353 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.