Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CF Card Problem, Please Help!

EchoLocation
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 10, 2011 21:43 |  #1

I have a 16gb CF card from my 5D classic i put in my 10D. I didn't format it and my 10D said Error 2 after i played with it a little while. No big deal. The Cf card is only a few weeks old.
I formatted the CF card in the 10D, then put it in the 5D and formatted it again.
Now when i put the CF card in the 5D it says 14.8gb at first, then when i take some more pictures, or format it again, after a couple a minutes it will show up as only having 7.8gb free?
did i ruin my CF card? lose half my storage capacity? what's going on here?

Canon 5D, Canon 550D, 24-105 F4L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, 550EX

sponsored links
3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 10, 2011 22:23 |  #2

Take a look at the cf card on the computer and take off any shots you took if you want to keep them. Then format the card on the computer before reformatting in the the camera. See if that works.

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

johnnybfan
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 10, 2011 22:47 |  #3

Can the 10D handle a 16 gb card? I seem to remember something about the 40D being able to handle only cards 8 gb & smaller.

jim

40D w/Grip X 2, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
, Canon 100-400L IS, Nifty Fifty, Canon 430 EX Flash

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 10, 2011 22:50 |  #4

johnnybfan wrote in post #12197689 (external link)
Can the 10D handle a 16 gb card? I seem to remember something about the 40D being able to handle only cards 8 gb & smaller.

Oh yeah, that's another good point....forgot about that.

Also, googled error 2, from the manual.

"Err 02 There is a problem with the CF card. Do one of the following: Remove and reload the CF card, format the CF card, or use another CF card."

So it may be not being able to read a 16GB card.

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

EchoLocation
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 10, 2011 23:14 |  #5

i've been reading about this for the past hour. Apparently something about the difference between the fat32 and another fat which causes a partition to be created in your(my) card.
I opened disk management and comp mgmt and both show me as having 2 seperate 7.83gb partitions....
one is the "primary partition" and one is "unallocated"
i've read all over and by right clicking on the primary partition and choosing extend or delete volume i should be able to fix this....except these options are greyed out....
I think i may have to download or install some sort of partition manager software?
i have learned more about this stuff in the past hour than i have in the past 10 years....
any ideas on what software to use or what route to go on in order to remove this "unallocated" portion or destroy this partition?
I don't even care about the 8gb of storage space lost anymore, i just want to figure this out!

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2011 23:30 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

My understanding was that any CF device can read any CF card regardless of capacity. CF cards have a controller in the card, unlike SD which has the controller in the device.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

EchoLocation
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 10, 2011 23:55 |  #7

it can read it....
but it created a partition. i am now downloading paragon partition manager to delete this partition
will update in a few

J.Doe
183 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2011 23:56 |  #8

EchoLocation wrote in post #12197814 (external link)
any ideas on what software to use or what route to go on in order to remove this "unallocated" portion or destroy this partition?

Try a DOS software named "KillDisk".It should solve your problem.
Regards,

60D,MKIIn,Ds MKIII __EF 50 f/1.4,EF 100 f/2.8 macro,EF 135 f/2.0L,EF 16-35 f/2.8 L II,Tamron 28-75 f/2.8,EF 70-200 f/2.8L,Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC USD ,EF 2xII TC__Marumi clear glass,UV,ND & CPL__ Kata bags__Speedlite 580EX & Metz 58 AF-2 w/Eneloops__ Sandisk __Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT & TRACKER AP-364 w/SBH-300's

EchoLocation
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 11, 2011 01:24 |  #9

Wow!
i feel like i just stepped it up a little in my computer knowledge(which is extremely lacking, as of now i am just using my netbook and have done zero PP to any of the 100gb of photos i have on my harddrive.... Now that i have a 5DC, 24-105 and a sigma 50 1.4, i'm thinking my next step has to be a real computer!)
anyways.... on to the problem/solution......​....
in the past 3 hours of googling, i have learned about partitions. I thought my 10D had split my 16gb lexar CF card in half, leaving one 8gb partition and one unallocated area.... it turns out it was my 5DC that i had just picked up second hand last month.
I installed Paragon Partition Manager on my comp and removed the partition.... but when i put the card back in camera and formatted it, it would only show as having 7.8gb.
So, after googling some more i found some angry 5D owners circa 2006ish who were extremely pissed that the 5D did not have the firmware to handle high capacity CF cards....
So i checked my firmware(never installed a firmware update before tonight) and noticed i was not up to date....
went to the 5D canon page and got the firmware update and installed it on my camera
then i put my card back in the paragon partition manager and erased the 8gb partition again(for about the 5th time.)
Once i put the card in the 5D with updated firmware and formatted it........

wait for it.....

Voila!

14.8gb!!!!
I'm so proud of myself! ::::::::::high fives all around::::::::::::::
thanks to all for helping although i guess google was my biggest help after all..... I'm sure some of you out there(most?) are laughing at my ineptitude, but that is normal by now!

sponsored links

1,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
CF Card Problem, Please Help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.