Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 05:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash during the Ceremoney

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 12, 2011 05:49 |  #1

Has any one ever shot a wedding were you were allowed to use your flash during the actual ceremony?

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

sponsored links
highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2011 05:58 |  #2

Yes, every single one of them ,but I mostly shoot weddings outdoors.

If in a church and you're not allowed to use flash then don't be hesitant to bump up the ISO on your 7D. I used ISO 5000 on my 5D2 recently and the photos were fine. Then again if you can use flash go about 50% with flash.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

ranger50
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 12, 2011 06:06 |  #3

highway0691 wrote in post #12205410 (external link)
Yes, every single one of them ,but I mostly shoot weddings outdoors.

If in a church and you're not allowed to use flash then don't be hesitant to bump up the ISO on your 7D. I used ISO 5000 on my 5D2 recently and the photos were fine. Then again if you can use flash go about 50% with flash.

Thanks for your reply. I have been finding that about 45% of the ceremonies in the church, have been authorizing flash use.:D

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 12, 2011 09:05 |  #4

In UK the rule is no flash. Never even been offered the chance to. I would prefer not to use it anyway and be in the background.

https://mgiddings.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 12, 2011 10:48 |  #5

ranger50 wrote in post #12205390 (external link)
Has any one ever shot a wedding were you were allowed to use your flash during the actual ceremony?

I haven't not encountered too many where flash was not allowed, however just b/c it's allowed doesn't mean I'll use flash. It really depends. Some churches are so dark that you may not have a choice but to use it. That's pretty rare though, at least the ones I shot...

dmbpettit
370 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 12, 2011 11:07 |  #6

I shot one last summer where I had to shot IS0 6400 and f 2.8 just to get 1/100 of second. I bounce flashed any time people where walking down the isles just so I could stop the motion, but I chose not too use flash the rest of the ceremony.

I agree with bnlearle, I feel like flash takes away from the mood of the ceremony and turns people's attention towards me, not on the bride and groom.

Body: 5DMKIII
Lenses: 17-40L, 24-70L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 F4 L, Lens Baby
Flash: 2x Canon 430EX
www.brianpettitphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 12, 2011 11:10 |  #7

I always ask the officiant beforehand and most of them are ok with me using flash...however as a rule I generally don't as I don't like to be too intrusive.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,511 posts
Gallery: 406 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 12, 2011 11:11 |  #8

The last church wedding I shot the priest allowed me to use flash, but had some odd rules about how close I could be. Not that I wanted to be too close, but he named a particular row in the pews.. As mentioned above, I didnt abuse the permission.

scobols
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 12, 2011 11:14 |  #9

I always assume it's not allowed and don't use it except for the processional and sometimes the recessional.

The ceremony is not a photo shoot, it's a wedding. It's too distracting and annoying to the guests to be firing a flash, especially a powerful one.

www.scottbolster.com (external link)
facebook (external link)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 12, 2011 12:03 |  #10

Indoors, I use flash if absolutely necessary and permitted, but it is almost never absolutely necessary. I may throw a side light with bare flash to add to give a little more character to the existing light during the processional if flash is allowed and there is a good reason. Almost never flash during a church ceremony, but sometimes flash outdoors if extremely bright with bad shadows on the faces.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,379 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2006

Apr 12, 2011 12:44 |  #11

if you were the bride or groom would you want light being fired into your face or around you while you were experiencing one of the most important days in your life??

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor C1 (external link)

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 12, 2011 12:48 |  #12

I use flash at most of them, indoors or out.
The only time I would be reluctant to use flash....and this may sound weird is if it were a fairly dark venue and each time I flashed it would look like the surface of the sun....to distracting.
In a fairly bright venue it is not such a distraction....plus there are 100 point and shoots going off as well.
Outside I almost always use fill flash, unless it is one of those overcast perfect light days.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 12, 2011 14:31 |  #13

I've only shot one where flash WASN'T allowed. But I also shoot mostly outdoor weddings.

Though, at my last wedding I couldn't scout out the venue ahead of time (it was on a cruise ship and we weren't able to board the ship until 20 minutes before the ceremony and I stayed with the bride while she got dressed) and I would have be screwed if I weren't able to use flash! I mean, seriously, who puts the bride, groom, and wedding party on a stage, then turns on the stage lights lights and down the house lights. Eck.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 12, 2011 14:36 |  #14

Bobster wrote in post #12207555 (external link)
if you were the bride or groom would you want light being fired into your face or around you while you were experiencing one of the most important days in your life??

Honestly, most of the time they are so caught up in the moment that you could start doing a jig next to them and they wouldn't notice. At least I didn't and I guess some guy in a bright green Speedo walked straight through my wedding... I had no clue until after when people started telling us about it. But the few times I've had to use flash the couple have always said they didn't even notice.

However, I would NEVER touch the bride and groom during the ceremony. I was actually at a wedding once when the photographer repositioned the bride in the middle of the ceremony. I seriously could not believe what I was seeing and that the photographer would have the nerve to do that!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

tombramwell
149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 12, 2011 16:28 |  #15

I covered my first wedding of the year this last weekend, the vicar was a family friend and had come out of retirement to marry them especially. He was 'old school' it was a very traditional service and he told me no photos were to be taken with or without flash in the church!

Fortunately I had been warned that no photography was allowed and the couple were accepting that they won't have any photos of the service... never the less it was very frustrating.

I started editing the photos on Sunday and my computer died... Fortunately I've have a backup of everything but all in all I havent had the best weekend! Haha

5Dmk2 x 2|50mm L f1.2|24-70mmL f2.8|17-40mmL f4|Speedlite430EX II|Speedlite420EX|ST-E2|a whole load of older lenses including zooms for my old crop bodies.
www.tombramwell.co.uk (external link) | blog (external link)

sponsored links

4,365 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash during the Ceremoney
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.