Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 23:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where/How do you store your lens(es) at home?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 15, 2011 03:00 |  #46

While I do have a large Pelican that's supposed to be "home base," most of my gear ends up on my work table pretty much as it was left after my last shoot.

The Pelican though, looks awesome! ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 15, 2011 06:38 |  #47

Study floor = best place....nothing can fall too far from down there ;)

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2011 09:46 |  #48

Neilyb wrote in post #12226348 (external link)
Study floor = best place....nothing can fall too far from down there ;)

Been there; done that. Just wait until you stub your little toe on a Manfrotto 488 ballhead. My daughter was visiting, so it was a mild - "Goodness me, that was quite painful." Then out the back door to roar some satisfyingly crunchy obscenities to the night sky.

~ Wallace
Gear List

pbelarge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 16, 2011 10:26 as a reply to  @ xhack's post |  #49

Okay, quite the variety of storage. Most seem to store their good stuff in photo pack/bags. I am not as worried about theft as I am about fire or water damage from the fire. The safes I have are both water/fire safe and can limit the inside temps from fires up to 1200degreesF.

I was curious about others, that is all.
BTE- the 2 safes cost me about $215. My gear when all added up may be about $10,000. Yes I also have insurance, but I do not want to rely on insurance if I don't have to.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

watduzhkstand4
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 16, 2011 10:36 |  #50

so before I said I just leave it in my camera bag on the floor but I guess things have changed. I just received a tripod from my friends for my birthday so it's sitting on the tripod :P

flickr (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

Salt ­ Peanuts
93 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 16, 2011 13:14 |  #51

Mine are usually stored in my camera bag, with occasional stay on my desk.

flickr (external link)
My stuff

x.pozhr
Goldmember
4,789 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 16, 2011 14:14 as a reply to  @ Salt Peanuts's post |  #52

Always in the bag.

flickr (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 16, 2011 14:49 |  #53

I have my 5D2 and lens's in one bag, My 1D3's in another bag since they are used together mostly. I mix and match as needed. They are stored in a big blue tupperware box in corner of closet...marked as "clothes too small"...maybe paranoid, but I figure thieves aren't looking for clothing! Of course...I they go into my attic....they will see the boxes for all my equipment! I am well insured for theft. Prefer not to go through that mess!

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

seaforddi
42 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 16, 2011 21:22 |  #54

Newbie here, see this is my 1st post. While I only have my T2i & 2 kit lenses, I too have wondered whether the Canon 200DG Digital Camera Gadget Bag is adequate for now.

I'm planning to purchase a much faster lens, maybe an
L lens in the next month or two, so I certainly want to know beforehand how to best protect it on & off the camera body, at home & when traveling.

I'm not concerned with theft while stored in the house. I just need to know the best way to head off accidental damage. I certainly don't drop, toss or throw the camera or bag down.

Thanks for your help & hope this post adheres to all guidelines. This too is a learning process.

.... is still waiting for it all to fall into place or should I say
click in her head
550D | 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS |
55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | 580ex II

jraut
41 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 16, 2011 23:22 |  #55

Backpack or sling bag (depending on which lenses were used last time), usually on a shelf in the closet.

60D, 15-85, 55-250, 50 1.8, 430EX II

irwaffles
161 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 16, 2011 23:24 |  #56

Just in my camera bag, and that bag is in my closet along with my other backpacks/bags. I don't have any lens worth over $1,000, but if I did I think it would still be in the same area lol.

flickr (external link)
5d mark 2 - Canon 24-70 2.8

Overkill-F1
479 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 16, 2011 23:24 |  #57

My most often used gear is in a backpack hanging in the closet beside the backdoor, ready to grab and go. My extra gear is in a padded camera bag under my desk. I take my backpack to work every day, the top compartment is reserved for my lunch.
When I retire (in 14 weeks, 5 days,. 19 hours, 4 min, & 43 seconds, but who's counting!) the top compartment will hold more camera gear!!
...Terry

50D, 450D, 18-55mm IS, 30mm f/1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2,
For Sale- EF 24mm f/2.8
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". Dave Barry

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 17, 2011 00:17 |  #58

seaforddi wrote in post #12236695 (external link)
Newbie here, see this is my 1st post. While I only have my T2i & 2 kit lenses, I too have wondered whether the Canon 200DG Digital Camera Gadget Bag is adequate for now.

I'm planning to purchase a much faster lens, maybe an
L lens in the next month or two, so I certainly want to know beforehand how to best protect it on & off the camera body, at home & when traveling.

I'm not concerned with theft while stored in the house. I just need to know the best way to head off accidental damage. I certainly don't drop, toss or throw the camera or bag down.

Thanks for your help & hope this post adheres to all guidelines. This too is a learning process.

Welcome seaforddi. The 200DG Gadget bag should serve you well through a few lens purchases.. i lugged my 70-200 f/4, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, 15-85, tubes, 2 xTCs, filters, etc, etc. in it. It's well built.. i like the steel clips.

Back O/T.. i sit my bodies and a few most-used lenses on a homemade bench beside my computer desk. I can just grab whatever and go.. no bag necessary. I keep most of the other stuff in my Tamrac Pro12 bag.. it sits by the door(basement door.. living my my parents basement), on a wooden stand, on top of my filing cabinet. Messy.. yes, convenient.. positively! :p

Kel
Gear

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2011 00:49 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #59

I have a lockable cupboard which is never locked :rolleyes: to store my gear.. Usually a camera and lens or two are sitting on the spare desk (which we bought for my wife but she never uses it ) in the office..

At this very moment on the desk there is a 50D with grip, EF 85mm f/1.8 mounted and a EF 50mm f/1.4, my wallet, sunglasses, mobile phone, Ipod earphones (my Ipod is in the dock in the bedroom) and a dirty coffee mug from last night..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 19, 2011 04:36 |  #60

I have a big shelf.
Because of my 2 years old daugther the lower two shelves are loaded with backdrops, tripods and such stuff. And some cheap bad lenses for her :-) She is able to build a tower of 4 lenses :-)
Furthermore I have a big single shelf where I store some photo bags and backpacks. In these bags are the rarer used lenses.
I made a small wodden closet for my DIY work. There are some lenses, flashes and cameras inside, which are planned to be modified or repaired. The Dremel tool, a small mill and other tools are strored there too. And on the closet is my mini lathe.

I my small Peli case I store only cheap lenses, because of fungus risk (no fresh air, no light). And I try to open the bag often. It is not ideal storing lenses in closed bags - in my opinon.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

sponsored links

13,220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where/How do you store your lens(es) at home?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.