Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 15 Apr 2011 (Friday) 06:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

upgrade to an ssd?

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 15, 2011 06:41 |  #1

hey guys

2 part question

1. which SSD do you recommend? i have a late 2008 macbook, so i doubt i have anything beyond SATA II (system info for my SATA controller says "Speed: 3 gigabit" so i assume its SATA II?). i was looking at the 64/128GB Crucial C300

2. my current storage is as follows:
- 160 GB internal HD, 1TB external HD acting as a time machine backup drive

i dont know much about ssd, but i read it should be used for system/app files only. i only have 2 USB ports, one of which is being used by a laptop stand w/ fan, i can only have 1 external HD plugged in. also, id rather NOT have 2 external boxes sitting on my desk.

what would you recommend for me? should i partition the 1TB drive so that 500GB acts as a time machine, and the other 500GB acts as a file drive? the downside is that the TM side wont back up the file side, so id want to run another backup anyway, which brings me back to having 2 boxes.

running a drobo/NAS is not an option, simply because i dont want to spend that kind of money. buying an SSD+another ext hd+memory upgrade would already set me back around $300-400

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2011 06:53 |  #2

ekinnyc wrote in post #12226354 (external link)
1. which SSD do you recommend? i have a late 2008 macbook, so i doubt i have anything beyond SATA II (system info for my SATA controller says "Speed: 3 gigabit" so i assume its SATA II?). i was looking at the 64/128GB Crucial C300

Yup, the 128GB C300 is a pretty good choice. Personally, I'd wait a week for the new G3 Intel drives. The new 250GB one looks very yummy.

ekinnyc wrote in post #12226354 (external link)
i dont know much about ssd, but i read it should be used for system/app files only.

That'll be for people who buy small drives and can't fit much more than the OS and apps on the drive. If you can fit more on there then you can only get better performance (as long as there's a nice chunk of free space).

You'll still find some people saying that you shouldn't put cache files on the SSD - they're wrong. The stupendously short access times of SSDs means you'll not get the performance hit that you used to get with old-fashioned mechanical drives.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 15, 2011 08:08 |  #3

The new intel drives are out and so are the vertex 3. I have 3 SSD's in my main rig and about order me a vertex 3 for my new 2011 macbook pro...

Yes they are well worth it. I came from a raptor 150 and 300 in my main rig and SSD kills it hands down. Even in my old sony laptop I have a kingston v+100 SSD and it made 100x better (both mentally and reality...).

I also I can recommend some NAS that is better and cheaper than the Drobo (this is coming from a ex drobo user...).

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 15, 2011 08:10 |  #4

Sorry I did not read your post completely, since you will be installing this in your older macbook I would recommend either C300 or the intel x-25 (because of it's reliability rating).

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 15, 2011 08:19 as a reply to  @ darktiger's post |  #5

Here's a question about upgrading a laptop for the SSD crowd.

Are there any special things to consider when upgrading a Windows laptop internal HD to a SSD?

Let's assume I have the original backup/restore discs for the laptop and don't care about any data or programs currently on the laptop.

What is required to make the swap from HD to SSD?

Thanks

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2011 08:32 |  #6

Palladium wrote in post #12226728 (external link)
Here's a question about upgrading a laptop for the SSD crowd.

Are there any special things to consider when upgrading a Windows laptop internal HD to a SSD?

Let's assume I have the original backup/restore discs for the laptop and don't care about any data or programs currently on the laptop.

What is required to make the swap from HD to SSD?

Thanks

Get into the laptop's BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD is at the top, switch off the laptop, open laptop, remove HDD, insert SSD, close laptop, switch on, insert Windows CD/DVD, reboot, follow instructions. After installation change the boot options back.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 15, 2011 08:38 |  #7

hollis_f wrote in post #12226774 (external link)
Get into the laptop's BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD is at the top, switch off the laptop, open laptop, remove HDD, insert SSD, close laptop, switch on, insert Windows CD/DVD, reboot, follow instructions. After installation change the boot options back.

Thanks frank - I'm going do the upgrade this weekend. The Bios switch is something I probably would have forgot about.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 15, 2011 08:40 |  #8

darktiger wrote in post #12226676 (external link)
Sorry I did not read your post completely, since you will be installing this in your older macbook I would recommend either C300 or the intel x-25 (because of it's reliability rating).

is that because i cant take advantage of the SATA III?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 15, 2011 08:59 |  #9

also, what about the reliability of an SSD with long term read/writes? i thought NAND chips eventually stop holding a charge if you cycle data too many times

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2011 09:48 |  #10

ekinnyc wrote in post #12226918 (external link)
also, what about the reliability of an SSD with long term read/writes? i thought NAND chips eventually stop holding a charge if you cycle data too many times

Yup, they will fail after around 10,000 to 100,000 write/erase cycles. If one were to erase and fill the whole drive once a day then it would start suffering problems after 30 to 300 years.

I'm planning to upgrade before then.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 15, 2011 10:25 |  #11

point taken :-P

so basically the easiest thing for me to do is shell out $$ for a sizeable SSD so that i dont have to worry about an external drive and just use my existing time machine drive to back it up, OR spend less money on a 7200RPM 500GB WD Scorpion Black drive. sure, its less speed, but its also considerably less money

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2011 11:59 |  #12

ekinnyc wrote in post #12227510 (external link)
point taken :-P

so basically the easiest thing for me to do is shell out $$ for a sizeable SSD so that i dont have to worry about an external drive and just use my existing time machine drive to back it up, OR spend less money on a 7200RPM 500GB WD Scorpion Black drive. sure, its less speed, but its also considerably less money

Or....

Get a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT. It's a reasonable 7200 rpm HDD with a 4GB SSD to store commonly-accessed data. It can be pretty good - not really near an SSD but still nippy.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 15, 2011 12:54 |  #13

thanks! i forgot these drives exist!

but whats really the benefit here? will it so vastly improve my processing? i am going to bump my MB from 2gb ram to 4gb, and am expecting some improvement there. but with this drive, sure some apps will open faster, but the files are still on the platters, so will i see a real improvement in running DPP batch exports vs a 7200RPM scorpio black? and what if the SSD portion does fail - what happens to my files?

also, i hardly shut down/reboot. my MB tends to be sleeping while i am not using it. not sure if the benefit of an SSD will manifest itself.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 15, 2011 15:46 |  #14

FYI, practically all MLC nand these days (25 nm) will have up to 3000 P/E cycles, not the 10,000 that was the norm in the beginning with the larger nand size.
And remember that 3000 P/E cycles does not equal 3000 x (size of drive) in data that can be written by you. Write amplification and other housekeeping issues decrease the actual lifespan.
But whatever the case, these drives should last 2-3 years easily with normal usage.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 15, 2011 16:02 |  #15

i went with the 500gb scorpio black. ill sacrifice speed for simplicity. upgrading to SSD either meant shelling out big $$ for a sizeable drive, or dealing with external data drives. even replacing the optical drive in my MB with a SSD would cost $300-$400. i got a 7200rpm 500gb drive for $70

thanks for everyone's feedback and replies

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

2,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
upgrade to an ssd?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.