Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 06:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you cover an entire wedding with 2 bodies and 35, 85 and 135?

nathen2004
135 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2011 06:11 |  #1

So, can you cover an entire wedding with 2 bodies and 35, 85 and 135?

It seems like everyone will suggest that you need zoom(s) for weddings because of versatility. But primes have many of their own advantages too. So if you (or I in this case) shoot with 2 bodies (5D and 7D), will it help the versatility factor? Or is it absolutely necessary to get a zoom?

I am actually going to help a couple of my friends out this summer for their weddings, that's why I am asking. I actually have a budget to get a zoom, either the 24-70 or the 70-200 2.8 IS mark I. But I don't really like zoom myself, and the zoom will probably solely for the 3 weddings this summer. So, should I get a zoom? If so, which one?

(Or should I buy a 24L for to cover the wide end :p)

5DII + 35L
flickr (external link)
Gear List / FeedBack

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 16, 2011 07:47 |  #2

Sure you could but the question is should you? Why limit yourself and, more importantly, your clients to just those lenses.

But I guess it all comes down to style and choice. I like having the option to shoot really wide and really long and everything in between. Just because I have a lot of lenses doesn't mean that they all get used but they are there if and when I need them.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 16, 2011 09:08 |  #3

You could ask someone who shoots with all primes starting at 24mm and going up to about 50mm...he will tell you that it can probably be done.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

Bentapp2
205 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 16, 2011 10:42 as a reply to  @ form's post |  #4

i cover an entire wedding with a 5dmk2, 50d, 24 1.4/50 1.4/135 f2 and have never felt limited.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,562 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 16, 2011 12:28 |  #5

You can totally shoot a wedding with that setup.

But I never would. In my opinion, such limited setups greatly reduce the variety of perspective.

Variety is the spice of life, right?

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,239 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 16, 2011 12:35 |  #6

nathen2004 wrote in post #12232753 (external link)
So, can you cover an entire wedding with 2 bodies and 35, 85 and 135?

It seems like everyone will suggest that you need zoom(s) for weddings because of versatility. But primes have many of their own advantages too. So if you (or I in this case) shoot with 2 bodies (5D and 7D), will it help the versatility factor? Or is it absolutely necessary to get a zoom?

I am actually going to help a couple of my friends out this summer for their weddings, that's why I am asking. I actually have a budget to get a zoom, either the 24-70 or the 70-200 2.8 IS mark I. But I don't really like zoom myself, and the zoom will probably solely for the 3 weddings this summer. So, should I get a zoom? If so, which one?

(Or should I buy a 24L for to cover the wide end :p)

Absolutely. Some of the greatest wedding photographers that made some of the greatest wedding photographs ever made shot with Hasselblads and shot them with a 50mm/80mm/and 150mm lens.

I knew an incredible wedding photographer (deceased now) that shot with 2 Leica Ms and a 50mm lens on one camera and a 35mm lens on the other and its rare that I see anything on POTN that comes close to level of his work. He was doing photojournalism during the Monte era when it wasn't all the rage.

I would add the 24L.

nathen2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2011 12:49 |  #7

With my current setup should I add 24-70 or the 70-200 then?

5DII + 35L
flickr (external link)
Gear List / FeedBack

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,239 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 16, 2011 14:38 |  #8

nathen2004 wrote in post #12234299 (external link)
With my current setup should I add 24-70 or the 70-200 then?

Thats a personal call that only you can make.

Some say they'd miss shots without a zoom and I'm from the camp that would say you just learn to see other shots.

Theres plenty of successful and very good photographers out there that just shoot with primes, just as there are very good photographers that just zooms and then theres everything in between but yes, you can shoot a wedding and if you know how to fully use the gear you listed, you could do a very good job and the B&G could care less how you did it.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2011 14:39 |  #9

switch the 35 to a 24 and the 85 to a 50 and we're in business

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 16, 2011 15:16 |  #10

I couldn't work with my widest lens being a 35mm. I like the ability to go to 16mm for situations I can't control, like ceremonies and group shots in small locations.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 17, 2011 03:37 |  #11

My opinion is you could easily make that rig work as a friend helping out. Should you do it as a professional? No. Wide shots are important.

And weddings aside, with your set up, I'd be looking at a 24L anyway... I wouldn't get a 24-70, especially if you don't really like zooms.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 17, 2011 05:51 |  #12

As others have said, you could, but I wouldn't. 35 isn't nearly as wide as you should want to be on that end; I'd add the 14mm if you were going all prime. Even if you wanted all prime, I can't imagine not having the 24-70 for the reception when I need and want to react quickly to changing situations or opportunities that present themselves spontaneously.

Primes are great for portraits and so many other things where you have a lot of control. Even the ceremony where, though you don't have control, it moves slowly in a planned manner. Come the reception, IT is in control and moving very quickly and you need to be able to respond to it.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 17, 2011 05:53 |  #13

Yes

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 18, 2011 10:52 as a reply to  @ neil_r's post |  #14

Yes, you could do it easily...however...I agree with the others that you may want to add something a bit wider like a 24L or a 16-35L.

-Dave

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 18, 2011 12:10 |  #15

Affirmative.

sponsored links

9,343 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can you cover an entire wedding with 2 bodies and 35, 85 and 135?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.