Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me decide : upgrade to Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and get a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS HSM ?

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 16, 2011 17:07 |  #1

First, let me say that this is one of the best online communities I've ever seen. People are warm and love to help each others. Lots of knowledgeable guys. Hence I'm asking my question here :

I have a Canon 85mm f/1.8 and frankly I love it. It has lightening fast AF, great IQ , small and light. Focal length is good for my 5D. Only thing I wish is that it had f/1.4 since I shoot under low light often. The new siggy 85mm f/1.4 from what I've read on Internet reviews and forums, is nothing but amazing. Plus it's a 1.4! Since I can buy from HongKong, it will only cost me $400 or so to upgrade to it if I sell my 85mm f/1.8. Therefore I'm quite tempted to get it.

The 70-200 OS hsm, actually it's not my normal shooting focal length. I primarily shoot primes, stuff like indoor dancing. But last week I went to shoot a fashion show, then I realized how convenient it will be to have a fast 2.8 telephoto zoom. But I also know that once I get it, I probably wont' use it much because my shooting style and its weight and size.

Money wise, it's not too much for me to get these two lenses. But I'm kinda feeling that I should've spent more time learning and improving my skills, instead of just spending money and collecting gears.In the last one month or so, I've added 5D, 2 lenses, flash, the video monopod into my gear list. And I haven't got much time to use the 5D yet. TBF My current gears are more than enough for me to learn , practice and improve. They're not really a bottle neck, my current skill level is.

Another thing is that I'm a single guy and planning to move to another country in the next few months. I understand that I can only carry one carry-on luggage and a personal item onto the airplane, excluding the check-in luggages. Thus I want my gears (bodies and lenses) fit into a carry-on luggage and the other personal item would be my laptop, a heavy duty 17''.

I have two bodies : 5D and 60D, 7 lenses right now as you can see from signature, and a 430ex flash. None of my lenses are really big or heavy. I just want to know with the addition of the 70-200 OS , can I fit them all into a carry-on luggage which is not too big/heavy to be allowed to bring with myself onto the airplane? I 'd guess it'd be ok since I've seen people carry fairly big luggage onto airplaine. I'll just leave my monopod in the check-in lugggage, I think. What luggage you guys would suggest for this? Anybody has experience?

Thanks a lot! Any suggestion will be appreciated! :-)

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

sponsored links
arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2011 19:34 |  #2

I have the 85 1.4 and it is one of my two primary portrait lenses because it is just incredibly good. I also had the 70-200 OS for a short time as well (my first 70-200) and it was so good I returned it to upgrade to the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II so I could have the best 70-200.

However, for the money I don't think that I have ever owned two better lenses. I would not hesitate to recommend either of them to anyone. I would say get them both, and sell the 85 f/1.8 and the 55-250. You won't need either of them anymore once you have these excellent Sigma lenses.

As for the weight of the 70-200, that is easily solved by using a decent carry system like a Rapid Strap or Cotton Carrier. If you use the normal lens strap then you will have a lot more trouble with heavier lenses.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

genjurok
THREAD ­ STARTER
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 24, 2011 17:04 |  #3

great thanks!
I'm gonna get the siggy 85mm f/1.4 first. :-)

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

watduzhkstand4
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 28, 2011 09:36 |  #4

How is the IQ on both the 85 1.4 and the 70-200 OS? I'm looking to do the same thing but there are mixed reviews out there and very little reviews...

flickr (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 28, 2011 09:51 |  #5

I don't think the reviews are mixed, both are great quality. The impression may be given that the 70-200 OS is not good because it is often compared to the canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII, which is undoubtedly better, but also costs a lot more. The sigma is however, a very good lens nonetheless. As for the 85 1.4, I've seen nothing but great reviews on it, but some people complain about focus issues.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 28, 2011 09:57 |  #6

For what it's worth, my Sigma 85 underexposes about 1 stop and it's actually pretty common from what I hear. So you'll actually only see minimal to no gains as far as low light help over the Canon 85 f/1.8.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

sponsored links

2,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me decide : upgrade to Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and get a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS HSM ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.