Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 00:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For shooting landscapes, maybe thunderstorms, a topic beat to death.... which lens?

dissident
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2011 00:47 |  #1

Pictures of nice trains aside, I've narrowed down my choices to a tamron non VC 2.8 17-50mm or the canon 15-85mm IS variable aperture USM lens. Both get good reviews, tamron seems to get very sharp results as does the canon. It comes down to fixed aperture versus the image stabilization and wider focal range.

I hope to test out the tamron tomorrow and compare it to the kit lens for pure sharpness to see what I can achieve on a cloudy day handholding without image stabilization.

The $300 price difference has crossed my mind, but I don't care about that, I care about sharpness.. optical quality. The rest I can take care of myself.

I suppose I shouldn't even be asking this here, I should just go out and test the lenses myself, and I will, but I will ask again anyways.

For landscape, for perhaps thunderheads taken from a distance (when it's not raining out) .. for mostly outdoor stuff.. do I need that fixed wider aperture? I have a nifty fifty mark 1 that seems to do fine for low light, although I'd like something like a 28-35mm for indoors. Somehow I think that 2.8 won't be enough for indoors anyways so why not just get a couple good primes along with the 15-85.. that's my thinking..

Right now I have the kit lens.. 18-55IS along with the 55-250IS.. would like to replace that with perhaps a 70-200L F4 IS at some point, and a good lens for the short end.. but what lens? I use the short end 90% of the time so the upgrade on the telephoto lens won't be happening for a while.

The 15-85 would be perfect for versatility. But the tamron is half the price, and tack sharp from what I've heard.. can I do without the image stabilization of the tamron?

I just test it myself and let you all mull it over here if you want. :)

Canon T2i | Battery Extender | Canon EF-S 15-85mm | Tamron AF 70-300mm VC USD | Nifty Fifty Mark 1

sponsored links
Velorium
493 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2011 01:42 |  #2

If cash isn't an issue then grab the 15-85mm. f/2.8 can be good enough indoors but I'm in the school of thought that thinks it's better to get a flash & diffuser that can fill in light no matter the aperture and get primes to get whatever depth of focus you want.

If you do decide to go the f/2.8 route, I'd go for the Sigma 17-50mm OS per the advice in the linked post.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=11857815&po​stcount=41

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 17, 2011 04:05 |  #3

dissident wrote in post #12237580 (external link)
...It comes down to fixed aperture versus the image stabilization...

Please explain??

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2011 04:44 |  #4

Velorium wrote in post #12237791 (external link)
get a flash & diffuser

..for landscapes and thunderstorms....? If a thunderstorm is close enough for flash to be effective, then I'd say you're too close :p plus, thunderstorms kinda comes with a built-in flash.. ;)

aaso-photography (external link) | Flickr (external link)
5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II
EF 24-70/4L | EF 24-105/4L | Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24/3.5L II | EF 35/1.4L II | EF 85/1.8 | EF 135/2L | EF 200/2.8L II | 1,4x TC

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,206 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 17, 2011 04:46 |  #5

Joaaso wrote in post #12238151 (external link)
..for landscapes and thunderstorms....? If a thunderstorm is close enough for flash to be effective, then I'd say you're too close :p plus, thunderstorms kinda comes with a built-in flash.. ;)

:lol: :lol:

bw!

Kev

Velorium
493 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2011 04:54 |  #6

-Headdesk-

My mind is melting. Clearly my bed time was hours ago.

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2011 05:05 |  #7

Velorium wrote in post #12238174 (external link)
-Headdesk-

My mind is melting. Clearly my bed time was hours ago.

hehe, and I just woke up :p no offence meant though;) It was a good advise in itself, and he did indeed mention indoors as well, I didnt see that at first, I just saw; landscapes, thunderstorms, landscapes, thunderstorms, flash, diffuser...... (ehm, what..!?)

aaso-photography (external link) | Flickr (external link)
5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II
EF 24-70/4L | EF 24-105/4L | Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24/3.5L II | EF 35/1.4L II | EF 85/1.8 | EF 135/2L | EF 200/2.8L II | 1,4x TC

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 17, 2011 08:01 |  #8

Get the 15-85. The broader focal length range will be desired and the slower maximum aperture is not all that important for landscape work. IS will also be handy.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

2,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
For shooting landscapes, maybe thunderstorms, a topic beat to death.... which lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.