Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 18 Apr 2011 (Monday) 00:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Model/Portrait work. C&C wanted! :-)

TWOLITREmedia
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2011 00:05 |  #1

Alright so this feels weird for me to type, but I think this is legitimately my first actual attempt at lighting a human subject at all other then natural light. My gorgeous girlfriend posed as my sexy little model, and honestly did an outstanding job in my opinion. Since there is no nudity in these, and I am not eligible to post in the glamor and nude section yet I figured why not here! (There is more scantily clad work in the "People" section than this I think....)

Really looking for some critiques on these ones guys as this is entirely out of my element, and modeling is something I will be shooting quite a bit of this summer. For whatever reason I posted this in my usual 5D classic thread that I'm active in and didn't really get any feedback so it still leaves me hanging.

Let me know what you think, thanks! (#1+2 shot with 28-70mm f2.8L and #3-8 with the Canon 50mm f1.4 (Seriously love this lens, and it's the least expensive glass I own!))

P.S. (I Realize the lack of poses and angles but due to the size of her bedroom it was hard not to be including some distracting elements i.e. boxes, clutter etc. etc., Like I said this was kind of unplanned impromtu one night while we were bored this weekend)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Little Blue Dress (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Little Blue Dress (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My Little Jailbird (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sexy Vignette (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

Couple Different Edits of this one cause I loved it!

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Smiles - Natural Tones (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Smiles - Sepia "Style" (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Smiles - B & W (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

B & W (external link) by TWOLITREmedia (external link), on Flickr

C&C welcomed on any part of it, lighting, composition, editing, whatever. I am used to the cold hard lines of the automotive world and I plan on doing a ton of modelling work this summer so I still have to find my "feel" for this niche I would say.

Thanks again guys.

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flick (external link)R|||TWO (external link)LITRE (external link)media|||

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2011 08:00 |  #2

#1 is my fav. Would be #2, but her eye looks funny.

Colors are off...too hot...too pink? Something.

Not a fan on the pics that have her butt showing above her head.

Get the colors right and those are sweet.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

TWOLITREmedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2011 09:30 |  #3

Kechar wrote in post #12244408 (external link)
#1 is my fav. Would be #2, but her eye looks funny.

Colors are off...too hot...too pink? Something.

Not a fan on the pics that have her butt showing above her head.

Get the colors right and those are sweet.

Thanks! Colours are off in which one excatly? I tried quite a few different techniques here. If your talking about the second one, it's most likely the skin tone/beige adjustment layer I added over top then blended with "Soft Light". I'll try reprocessing a couple and see what you think.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flick (external link)R|||TWO (external link)LITRE (external link)media|||

Naphtali14
70 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 18, 2011 15:01 |  #4

The white balance is off in the first ones 1,2,3,5. I'm not sure if you made it that way on purpose or not but it's just a tad too red. I'm not really a fan of any of the poses except for 5,6,7 which are all the same.

I might try poses which are a bit more curvy or have flow. I feel like most of your poses are very angular and aren't as flattering.

Daniel Sather
Site: http://danielsather.co​m (external link)
Blog: http://blog.danielsath​er.com (external link)
Facebook: http://facebook.com/da​nielsatherphotovideo (external link)

TWOLITREmedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2011 16:42 |  #5

Yeh as I had mentioned in the post I suppose, in terms of angles and poses it was done in her bedroom that had a lot of clutter to the sides as she just moved in so angling her different ways would have created a lot of PP to clone out stuff. She also has never done anything like this before so it was kind of a learning experience for the both of us. She has no interest in the "modeling" world other then to just help me out haha :-) I was more interested on the lighting input I suppose, and maybe the PP work that was done. I had layed over a couple of colour adjustment layers blended with Soft Light on the ones you mentioned so maybe I will re-post these sans-colour adjustment as I'm sure you'll prefer the colours. I feel as though in my other realms of photography I'm involved in I generally stick with a straight on perfect WB and it tends to get boring. Maybe I shouldn't try to compensate in other areas that I am just delving into the first time with new techniques.

I will be posting more soon as possible, I am very interested in this useful criticism.

How about in terms of focal points, and how I utilized the 50mm wide-open at 1.4, did it work for people? Should I have looked at stopping down?...etc.etc.

Also for post, too much sharpening? Just right? Not enough NR? To much NR?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,379 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Model/Portrait work. C&C wanted! :-)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.