Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Apr 2011 (Monday) 04:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eye-Fi 'Direct Mode' -> iPad

Trixster!
716 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2011 04:41 |  #1

Hello all,

Am I right in thinking that the newly enable Direct Mode firmware for Eye-Fi X2 cards will make having to jailbreak your ipad (to get the ipad to setup an ad-hoc wireless network) a thing of the past?

Thanks

5D Mark II | EF 24-70 f/2.8 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 1.4x II | Nissin Di866 II | flickriver (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
aztecdaz
285 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 18, 2011 04:46 |  #2

I was wondering this as well. It's not too much of a problem for me tho since I run MyWi which only takes seconds to start.

Direct mode does sound good tho. I just wish there was a way to stop the eyefi card sending raw files when shooting raw+jpeg. I know shutter snitch refuses the raw files but the card still sends them which slows things down

5DIII Gripped | 5DII+wft-e4II | Gripped 7D | 24-70L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 85LII |17-40 L | 600ex-rt x3 | st-e3-rt |Quadra A Heads | BRX500 x 4 | lots of Rotalux Goodies

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2011 04:53 |  #3

That looks really interesting, wonder how good it will work ^^

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

Trixster!
THREAD ­ STARTER
716 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2011 04:59 |  #4

I've no problem with jailbreaking my ipad in order to get it to create an ad-hoc network, but if Direct Mode can be sorted to work seamlessly with an updated version of ShutterSnitch then I'll be a happy chappy.

5D Mark II | EF 24-70 f/2.8 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 1.4x II | Nissin Di866 II | flickriver (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | flickr (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 18, 2011 09:19 |  #5

Correct - that's the plan... firmware supposedly out this week.

Edit - it's actually out already. Tested and works well - no router inbetween needed anymore... works great direct from Eye-fi to iPad-Shuttersnitch now.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2011 11:30 |  #6

Cool, does this also work with SD->CF card adapter? :)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

TripsDad
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 18, 2011 11:52 |  #7

I picked up one of the pro x2 cards last night. I updated the firmware and after about 30-45 minutes of playing with it I was able to get it to transfer directly to my ipad2 (from a Canon 1D Mark III). I'm going to field test it this afternoon. I am using it as SD, not via CF adapter.

Trixster!
THREAD ­ STARTER
716 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2011 13:32 |  #8

Splendid stuff. That's me off to order an X2 card and a cf->sd converter.

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2011 14:15 |  #9

Trixster! wrote in post #12246438 (external link)
Splendid stuff. That's me off to order an X2 card and a cf->sd converter.

Tell us how it works afterwards, wondering if I should get same thing. :D

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 18, 2011 21:15 |  #10

I'm not using it in an adapter - it's in the 2nd card slot of my cameras and I only write small jpg's for transfer to my iPad as preview to check composition and critical focus - works great for that. Personally I wouldn't use it to transfer anything bigger and would not use an SD card sitting in an adapterfor critical work.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 18, 2011 23:23 |  #11

http://www.amazon.com …QAB0VJ&colid=Y2​IV7LGQPP6N (external link)

This is one that people have had work in a 5D2, go buy this adapter so I can find out whether or not I dare try :-3. I want to pick up an X2 Pro now for my 5d2 and potential x100.

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

MarkyRB
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 19, 2011 06:17 |  #12

shmoogy wrote in post #12250125 (external link)
http://www.amazon.com …QAB0VJ&colid=Y2​IV7LGQPP6N (external link)

This is one that people have had work in a 5D2, go buy this adapter so I can find out whether or not I dare try :-3. I want to pick up an X2 Pro now for my 5d2 and potential x100.

This is the adapter that works in my 5d2 with the 8gb x2 pro card. I tried last night using the direct mode to connect to the iPad. Although it works, it is slow. I have yet to try smaller jpg sizes to see how much of a speed increase I get.

Trixster!
THREAD ­ STARTER
716 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 21, 2011 13:32 |  #13

Ok, my 8gb Eye-Fi Pro X2 card turned up this afternoon along with a cf to sd convertor (specifically the DeLOCK adaptor CF II to SDHC). The firmware on the X2 automatically updated with the install. Once the Direct Mode was configured correctly the iPad would connect to the camera and download a shot a soon as it was taken. It works seamlessly now, following some initial faffing about. The camera is setup to take a RAW and a small/fine jpg each time, and the jpg is sent to the iPad for viewing.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 21, 2011 15:36 |  #14

Yep! I just ordered a Pro yesterday! Def a feature Id like to play with!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 21, 2011 15:55 |  #15

Trixster! so only the .jpg is sent to the iPad? I thought it also sent the RAW which is why in the past people have said the transfer time took to long. If it is only sending the jpg then I might finally pull the trigger on this. Thanks!

sponsored links

11,286 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eye-Fi 'Direct Mode' -> iPad
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.