Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Apr 2011 (Monday) 04:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eye-Fi 'Direct Mode' -> iPad

Trixster!
THREAD ­ STARTER
716 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2011 08:10 |  #31

Aerton wrote in post #12290531 (external link)
Thank you Trixter! Really appreciate the heads up.

Be aware that if you decide to get an Eye-Fi sd card you'll have to do some research to see which (if any) sd->cf card convertors are compatible with your 5D. I'm pretty sure some of them (possibly including the one I mentioned that I'm using earlier in this thread) will not work with the 5D's cf slot.

5D Mark II | EF 24-70 f/2.8 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 1.4x II | Nissin Di866 II | flickriver (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,159 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 26, 2011 16:53 |  #32

Which card did you guys get? The 8GB Pro X2 or the 4GB Connect X2?

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

snowshark13
696 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2011 16:57 |  #33

This is the one I just ordered:

http://www.amazon.com …/B003DV4234/ref​=pd_cp_e_1 (external link)

Gear
www.digitalsnowshark.c​om (external link)
flickr (external link)

lsquare
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 29, 2011 18:07 as a reply to  @ snowshark13's post |  #34

I'm a bit confused. So the camera will freeze if you try to shoot in continuous mode because the Eye-Fi card is too slow to write it? If so, that's a very big negative!

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 29, 2011 18:15 as a reply to  @ post 12291189 |  #35

I tried the eye-fi direct for about a week, total of about 50 shots "trying" to use the direct mode. (the one without a wifi) straight from camera a to ipad2. It worked sometimes, and sometimes it didn't. I dropped the "Jpeg" file size down to medium to see if that would work better. I tried to get away from other available networks to make sure they weren't interfering and it just wasn't reliable enough. They'll get it right one day.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2011 11:32 |  #36

lankforddl wrote in post #13326244 (external link)
I tried the eye-fi direct for about a week, total of about 50 shots "trying" to use the direct mode. (the one without a wifi) straight from camera a to ipad2. It worked sometimes, and sometimes it didn't. I dropped the "Jpeg" file size down to medium to see if that would work better. I tried to get away from other available networks to make sure they weren't interfering and it just wasn't reliable enough. They'll get it right one day.

I had the exact problem with my Eye-Fi X2 8GB Pro in my Canon S95 (which natively supports the Eye-Fi) and going to my iPhone, MacBook Pro, PC and anything else I might have tried. So now it just sits in my drawer.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

lsquare
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 30, 2011 16:54 |  #37

ben_r_ wrote in post #13328454 (external link)
I had the exact problem with my Eye-Fi X2 8GB Pro in my Canon S95 (which natively supports the Eye-Fi) and going to my iPhone, MacBook Pro, PC and anything else I might have tried. So now it just sits in my drawer.

Is there any other way to increase the reliability of the wifi support so that it doesn't drop the JPEG?

ben_r_
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2011 17:17 |  #38

lsquare wrote in post #13329482 (external link)
Is there any other way to increase the reliability of the wifi support so that it doesn't drop the JPEG?

Not that I have heard of.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 12, 2012 16:21 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #39

Has anyone had a chance to test this new firmware update yet? It appears to address all of my direct mode connectivity issues but I no longer own the card.

Eye-Fi X2 Card Firmware 5.0001 Now Available

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

ben_r_
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 12, 2012 17:49 |  #40

Hmm... Ill have to update mine and see if theres any changes.

Trixster!
THREAD ­ STARTER
716 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2012 04:42 |  #41

Just updated, seems to still work fine notwithstanding the fact that the Eye-Fi desktop software is still a joke as is the iPad app. It's seamless with ShutterSnitch though which is all that matters. No idea if the speed or range of the card has improved with the firmware update.

5D Mark II | EF 24-70 f/2.8 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 1.4x II | Nissin Di866 II | flickriver (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | flickr (external link)

DigitalOxygen.ca
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2012 22:23 |  #42

Trixster! wrote in post #13706947 (external link)
Just updated, seems to still work fine notwithstanding the fact that the Eye-Fi desktop software is still a joke as is the iPad app. It's seamless with ShutterSnitch though which is all that matters. No idea if the speed or range of the card has improved with the firmware update.

Any chance you can confirm if you are using a 5DMK2 and a SD to CF adapter and if so which one? I am interested in this setup for my 7D and have been following a thread on the eye-fi forums that claims 5.0001 breaks compatibility.
http://forums.eye.fi …f=8&t=1352&p=23​871#p23205 (external link)

Also, if possible can you tell us what chipset is used in your adapter? Might help narrow down which adapters are working and which aren't. Might have to peel off the metal plates though as many users have done to boost signal strength and reliability.

sponsored links

11,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eye-Fi 'Direct Mode' -> iPad
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.