Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 18 Apr 2011 (Monday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Makes The Perfect Fluid Head

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2011 17:33 |  #1

Hi all,

I've been looking around at different fluid heads on the market and I'm trying to figure out what makes the "perfect" fluid head for DSLR video use? For those of you with some experience, please chime in on what features you think make or break a fluid head.

So far I can think of the following:

• Adjustable Sinusoidal counterbalance (0-15 lb rigs)
  • Adjustable pan and tilt drag
  • Indexable and ambidexterous handle
  • Weight less than 4lbs
  • Quick Release plate system
Are there any heads that meet all of these requirements? I can't seem to find any small fluid heads with a sinusoidal counterbalance...or is that even necessary? I know the Oconnor heads are famous for that, but those are huge and meant to support 30+ lbs (not to mention the $5000+ price tag).

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 18, 2011 17:36 |  #2

Pan and Tilt drag are pretty key in order to maintain positive control without slop.

Not familiar with the concept of sinusoidal (?) balance. I assume you mean being able to move your rig fore or aft to achieve a neutral balance?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2011 17:40 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12248002 (external link)
Pan and Tilt drag are pretty key in order to maintain positive control without slop.

Not familiar with the concept of sinusoidal (?) balance. I assume you mean being able to move your rig fore or aft to achieve a neutral balance?

The Oconnor heads are what the movie industry uses. Sinusoidal counterbalance on the Oconnor heads allow them to be perfectly balanced regardless of what angle of tilt the camera is at. When you let go of the handle, the camera remains exactly where you left it. I've used a Manfrotto fluid head with counterbalance and it isn't sinusoidal because in some positions, the springs can cause the camera to move when you let go of the handle.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 18, 2011 17:47 as a reply to  @ Vermin87's post |  #4

Drag can help with that.

Most of the really large pan heads (studio or field build-ups) have roller cams that return the head to neutral if you let go completely and are meant to have some form of positive contact maintained.

Video heads usually aren't meant to be tilted to a particular angle and left there without the use of drag or locks. The fear of having a camera fall over runs high in the broadcast industry.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Trey ­ T
997 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2011 17:49 |  #5

start and stop should be smooth creating a smooth wave thus called sinusoidal. counterbalance is to assist the load when the rig is not flat.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2011 17:54 |  #6

Trey T wrote in post #12248077 (external link)
start and stop should be smooth creating a smooth wave thus called sinusoidal

As much as I do see why you'd say this, I know for certain that is not what Oconnor means for their patented Sinusoidal counterbalance. When you calculate the torque that is generated from a camera tilting forward or back, it's sinusoidal. To be completely counterbalanced, the mechanism also needs to provide sinusoidal torque.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 18, 2011 17:55 as a reply to  @ Trey T's post |  #7

The truly big-budget heads are gear driven though so they have no springs to fight.

One of the tests for becoming a Hollywood camera operator was the ability to track both horizontal and vertical figure-eights via the pan and tilt cranks! I've tried it and it's damn hard! :lol:

Jay

Trey ­ T
997 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2011 17:59 |  #8

if you dot have counterbalance your camera will be the actual weight on incline (aka tilt)

Vermin87 wrote in post #12248108 (external link)
As much as I do see why you'd say this, I know for certain that is not what Oconnor means for their patented Sinusoidal counterbalance. When you calculate the torque that is generated from a camera tilting forward or back, it's sinusoidal. To be completely counterbalanced, the mechanism also needs to provide sinusoidal torque.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2011 18:21 |  #9

So is counterbalance not that important for most DSLR video shooters then? From your two responses, the bigger concern is a super-fluid pan/tilt mechanism, correct?

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

kjj512
471 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2011 18:26 |  #10

In case anyone was wondering why exactly O'Connor calls it a sinusoidal head. GOOGLE KNOWS ALL.

http://www.google.com …cad=0#v=onepage​&q&f=false (external link)

Kevin
flickr (external link) | vimeo (external link)
5D MKii | Contax CZ 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar*T | Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 Planar*T | CZ Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 | Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8
AE-1 and a bunch of fd lenses

cwr89
233 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2011 18:32 |  #11

I have this guy: http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1303169​501&sr=8-3 (external link)

I would highly recommend it, for the price it is ridiculously nice.

~Casey

Canon 5Diii | EF 24-105L | EF-40 STM | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VIDCII | 2x 580 EX | Canon G5X | 3x ProFoto D1|
2x Panasonic AF100 | Panasonic HVX 300 | 2x Panasonic HVX 2700
FCP7| Premiere CC15 | Avid MC6
Kodak Jiffy | Six-20 Kodak No. 0 | Eastman Kodak No. 3-A | AE1 Manual | AE1 Program | Canon TL | Canon FTb | Ikonta 520/18 | Nikon EM |

Trey ­ T
997 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2011 18:33 |  #12

no. I'm explaining why they call it sinusoidal. I'm on my phone posting these up so bear with me.

you need counterbalance bc it wants to provide the same amount of drag from tilt to tilt. if you didn't have counterbalance it's harder to operate bc the load at the handle will be dependent on the incline angle. with counterbalance you achieve the same velocity when tilting with the same amount of external force o to the handle

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 19, 2011 12:51 |  #13

it would take one hell of a lens/rig setup to make the weight of an HDSLR system overload a fluid head without counterweighting.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2011 13:22 |  #14

the lightweight nature of the cameras is what makes finding a head with suitable counterbalance difficult. good counterbalance will let you start and stop moves accurately, without drifting or rebounding. sachtler just released the cine-dslr head to good reviews. still, it's a stepped counterbalance. the only continuously variable counterbalance head for lightweight cameras i'm aware of is on the vinten vision blue, but even that has a minimum weight requirement of about 5 lbs., good for a 5d but not so much for a bare t2i. o'connor heads have no minimum weight and are smooth as silk, but cost a small fortune.

Trey ­ T
997 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 19, 2011 16:08 |  #15

But you want to have counter balance or else the tilting is very sticky, IMO. That's the reason why it's called "fluid" (not fluid as in gas or liquid).

This is one of the reason why you need to choose the proper head for your equipment. I believe many people use Manfrotto 501, 501HDV, and higher do not load it properly and adjust it properly and complain about the stickiness when start the pan/tilt.

This is what you don't do: Put a 4lb t2i with EF 50mm f/1.4 on a head that has a range of 10-20lbs.

Chippy569 wrote in post #12253529 (external link)
it would take one hell of a lens/rig setup to make the weight of an HDSLR system overload a fluid head without counterweighting.

sponsored links

4,193 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Makes The Perfect Fluid Head
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.