Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 23:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much $ have you spend on your camera, lens, gears, accessories, etc...

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 15, 2012 22:01 |  #346

skygod44 wrote in post #13905745 (external link)
Don't stress it, sweetie! But do try to not to react when a member "goes for your throat!"
They don't know you.
They've never met you.
So it can't be personal.
And in all likelihood, they have a classifiable personality disorder! ;)
Best ignored/reported.

So sorry to hear that, Jim. At least the insurance paid out.
Makes me even more happy to live here, in rural Japan, where (no joke!) every summer you can see cars outside convenience stores, doors unlocked, keys in the ignition, engine running (to keep the aircon working!), personal possessions on any/all the seats...and NOBODY steals a thing.

Thank you. It was already a bad day so it probably made things a little worse to start with - it made me cry, which is absolutely silly. I just have so much hope for this.. you know all about the back story.

Hey - in rural Missouri we leave our keys in our cars engines running winter and summer - heat in the winter, a/c in the summer. No one steals our cars either. It isn't as good as one of the Colorado resort towns though (not sure if it is Aspen or Breckenridge or some such). There was a news story years back about the habit of "borrowing" - people left their cars with the keys in and as long as you returned it to where you got it, no one bothered with reporting theft. Well, someone began to take advantage and leave the cars other places, and the inconvenience of having to hunt down their cars (still with the keys in them) was pressuring the city council to pass an ordinance defining the problem as illegal and giving the police power to deal with the person without making it a felony and something terrible, just annoying enough to hopefully make the "borrowers" behave more considerately again... :D

Very off topic. Umm... sometimes I use my vehicle to go buy things for my camera! True story!

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links
Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,778 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2012 22:11 |  #347

skygod44 wrote in post #13905745 (external link)
So sorry to hear that, Jim. At least the insurance paid out.
Makes me even more happy to live here, in rural Japan, where (no joke!) every summer you can see cars outside convenience stores, doors unlocked, keys in the ignition, engine running (to keep the aircon working!), personal possessions on any/all the seats...and NOBODY steals a thing.

One of my best mates wife is Japanese and they often say exactly as you said above Simon.

We live in a rural area and traveled to the "Big Smoke". It sure did put a dampener on what was supposed to be a 7 day "taking pictures road trip" The second night - no photo gear, filling out police reports and a cardboard and packing tape 'window' to try and keep out the wind and rain :(

Insurance was great, the only thing they bauked at for some strange reason was replacing the window tint. They replaced the window, but not the window tint.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2012 22:51 |  #348

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13905633 (external link)
I already have a wireless router and Windows 7 - file-sharing isn't an issue (as long as the computer you want to share with is turned on). Have debated running my new drive plugged into the new router we're getting this weekend (our four-year-old router doesn't handle streaming video well enough, looking at a two-channel 450x450 maybe?). Some come with USB that you can plug a hard drive into and run as a file server. Or I could get hubby to let me get a CPU, plug printer in, etc., and let everyone access my printer...

Thanks on the other comment. I know I am very lucky to be married to such a good guy, but I can't believe that other spouses are that difficult. My father managed to have a life that included his Harley and hunting trips, gun collections, etc. If you love each other you want the other to have whatever they can within your means. :)

I haven't actually thought of using my router as the server. I bought a dedicated server for the HDD space and flexibility with mirroring my HDD's. I got a cheap one though and definitely would like to upgrade to something much nicer. We handle anywhere from 1k to 6k+ JPEG images a week, so it turns out to a ton of images in the HDD's. I'm saying this because if you take a lot of shots, you may find a dedicated server better suited for you.

That's good for you. No matter how controlling I know people can be, it still is amazing that a spouse can't be happy for the other, as long as the piggy bank isn't empty. Money can not and never will buy joy. Not that this is on-topic or anything. :p

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 16, 2012 06:48 |  #349

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #13906111 (external link)
I haven't actually thought of using my router as the server. I bought a dedicated server for the HDD space and flexibility with mirroring my HDD's. I got a cheap one though and definitely would like to upgrade to something much nicer. We handle anywhere from 1k to 6k+ JPEG images a week, so it turns out to a ton of images in the HDD's. I'm saying this because if you take a lot of shots, you may find a dedicated server better suited for you.

That's good for you. No matter how controlling I know people can be, it still is amazing that a spouse can't be happy for the other, as long as the piggy bank isn't empty. Money can not and never will buy joy. Not that this is on-topic or anything. :p

Probably when I'd be done with it the cost will be the same and the dedicated file server would be a complete package... Haven't looked at them though.

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 19, 2012 16:03 |  #350

Well my total went from about 2500 to close to 5000 over this last week. :lol:

StinkyBunny
62 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 19, 2012 17:01 as a reply to  @ h4ppydaze's post |  #351

I'm QUICKLY closing in on $3000 and I haven't bought the U/W housing for the 7D yet.:(

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 19, 2012 17:35 |  #352

Is that before or after I bought my 5D Mark II and 24-105mm L lens?

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 25, 2012 21:04 |  #353

mx-450 monopod with walking stick top-knob and SLIK SBH-100DQ quick release ball head...25ยข
...seems just fine to steady the camera when I find the shot, and me on long walks while looking for it...

IMAGE: http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9278/mnopd.jpg

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 25, 2012 21:58 |  #354

The Devil wrote in post #12939353 (external link)
Let's see...
400D body - 200 eur a few years back (was worth about 300 eur at the time so I got lucky)
Sigma 50mm F1.4 - 256 eur when converted into euros(we didn't use euros back then, but we do now).
Battery grip - 60 eur
16GB CF card - 67 eur
Kenko 77mm CPL filter - 50 eur
NG2475 shoulder bag - 83 eur
Velbon Sherpa 750R - 74 eur
Sigma 24mm F1.8 - 310 eur
So that's a total of 1033 eur... not bad heh.
Still have some purchases ahead of me...
Ugh, who am I kidding, I have a crap ton of purchases ahead of me.

What has changed over time - bought a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DG HSM for 340 eur, sold it for 310(was in a bit of a hurry at that point) sold the 400D + kit lens + battery grip for 210 eur, bought a 5Dc with a battery grip for 700 eur, bought a Tair 11 133mm F2.8 M42 lens for 60 eur(actual worth roughly double that), bought a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm F4 M42 for 70 eur (actual worth around thrice that), and a M39->M42 adapter for 5 eur, and an M42->EF adapter for 10 eur... and that's about it.
So how much have I spent on camera gear now? 1708 eur. Still planning on buying a Fuji X100, and possibly at one point or another, a Sigma 85mm F1.4 and/or some variation of a 70-200 lens.
Also, probably gonna sell the Tair 11, 'cause I don't have much use for a manual focus tele lens tbh, though it does have TWENTY aperture blades, which means it gives magnificent bokeh at any aperture.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

les_au
739 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 26, 2012 03:17 |  #355

currently i have located reciepts to the total of $6,500, i also know there is about $700 worth of tripod, head and a set of kenco tubes i don't have paperwork for. minus the sale of my 1000D kit i am at about $5,700 spent in about 3 years. have not spent any money on photography equipment so far this year

gear list

joshoskater
68 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 26, 2012 04:30 |  #356

Just a thread for the maker to show off :P

60D - 85mm 1.4 - 8mm Fisheye - 18-55 kit - 75-300 - yongnuo flash - triggers - and accessories :) looking for a 17-40 or 70-200 both F4 Canon pleeasee?? sigma
Please take a look :)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/joshgtr/ (external link)

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 26, 2012 08:47 |  #357

I think part of it for some of us is a kind of awe. At least in my case. There was some money we could spend and I begged for "my half" to go to photography gear. I have more than six months of my regular income invested in camera equipment right now with hopes of starting to sell some of the images here and there to afford to buy more camera equipment going forward. Earlier in the thread I was kind of pounded on because I haven't taken enough of the "right" pictures with my camera since I got it (I'm chronically ill and have been in a really bad patch) and assured I could have used much less equipment.

I didn't really know how to respond, because, well, yes, if I were taking pictures with no intention of doing anything with them but just looking at them on a computer and sharing them on Flickr, I am wayyyy over-equipped (even most of the artists who have painted some of my earlier pictures don't need them to be incredibly large). However, to be able to sell them to microstock agencies I needed a lot more resolution and sharper lenses, so I got them.

Now I'm just struggling with frustration about being so sick that I'm not getting shoots scheduled to create images to sell and wondering if I should give up, sell everything and get it over with. :(

You can call me Wuzzi

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 26, 2012 08:59 |  #358

shoenberg3 wrote in post #13902741 (external link)
You really are reading right through my posts -- and not understanding a cent of it.

Gluttonous use of "book-worthy" sign and neat organization of red Ls in the signature with nary a link to a page with actual photography? How much more "POTN" can you get?

This will be my last post in this rather stupid thread (so you can have your last word -- have at it!), but you should consider yourself extremely lucky to have such a padded lifestyle because it certainly wasn't ____ and it must have taken a lot of luck.

lol, I guess he went back to he OWS tent....

I will tell you this... I was born poor, grew up poor, and worked a good 60-80 hours a week (40 while I put myself through college) for 20 years to get where I am.

It wasn't luck, and I will buy whatever I damn well please with the results of my efforts, thank you very much.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 26, 2012 09:03 |  #359

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13969086 (external link)
I think part of it for some of us is a kind of awe. At least in my case. There was some money we could spend and I begged for "my half" to go to photography gear. I have more than six months of my regular income invested in camera equipment right now with hopes of starting to sell some of the images here and there to afford to buy more camera equipment going forward. Earlier in the thread I was kind of pounded on because I haven't taken enough of the "right" pictures with my camera since I got it (I'm chronically ill and have been in a really bad patch) and assured I could have used much less equipment.

I didn't really know how to respond, because, well, yes, if I were taking pictures with no intention of doing anything with them but just looking at them on a computer and sharing them on Flickr, I am wayyyy over-equipped (even most of the artists who have painted some of my earlier pictures don't need them to be incredibly large). However, to be able to sell them to microstock agencies I needed a lot more resolution and sharper lenses, so I got them.

Now I'm just struggling with frustration about being so sick that I'm not getting shoots scheduled to create images to sell and wondering if I should give up, sell everything and get it over with. :(

Hey, you don't have to justify your purchases to anyone. If you are happy, and they have not caused you to be a burden on anyone else (like spent so much you're on welfare), then enjoy yourself.

It's your money, do what you like with it :)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

Newshunter
22 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 26, 2012 09:07 |  #360

On the things I got in my backpack; 20.000$
Then we have some tripods, monopods, a looot of memorycards. So I guess we will hit 25.000$

But hey.. a carpenter needs good tools..so does a pro photographer ;)

Newshunter
2x Canon 7D gripped | Canon EOS 1D IV | 2x Canon 20D | 50mm F1.8 | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm F2.8L | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX | 480EX II |

sponsored links

48,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much $ have you spend on your camera, lens, gears, accessories, etc...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.