Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 05:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Golf cart light stand

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2011 05:13 |  #1

got $20 Acuity golf cart from Dick's today and built this setup. A more robust cart would be better, gonna look for stronger one that's still compact like this one. And light is 5ft 7in off ground but cart which can mount the Avenger arm higher would be better. This would work for rim lights but main light I'd like strobe to be higher. Tried setup with my Kacey dish and works fine but wouldn't want to use a heavy modifier. Still work in progress... but useable.

Anyone have suggestions for sturdier yet still compact pull cart?

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5267/5635945344_797f77bab3_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2011 05:14 |  #2

moved from single strobe thread:

anlenke wrote in post #12257118 (external link)
^^ This is genius, Peter! haha Love it!
You could try a second brace from just below the handle (drill through the metal handle shaft?) and connect it to the light stand...?

lol thx. Likely gonna use this for rim lights. There was hole already drilled for the golf bag support and setup balanced best there, so I placed the Avenger arm bolt thru that hole. Gonna get a more robust cart to hold the main light with modifier and mount the arm higher up. Golf cart rig great for grass locations etc and easier to move then wheeled stand

also make sure the cart tubing is an inch or less where you plan to attach the Avenger arm so the grip will fit around it ;)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5265/5635581166_027a300198_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2011 05:23 as a reply to  @ pnmd's post |  #3

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #12257913 (external link)
Peter, you could put some support arms on the sides that can be removable (think of those arms that moving machinery use to stop from sliding; got a brain block, can't remember the name of the machinery). The arms could have removable bases for a variety of terrain.

I thought about beefing up this cart but I saw some sturdier carts for under $100 so I'm gonna check Dick's and Edwin Watts later today. I hate things to look too DIY lol ;)

TwoShoes wrote in post #12257969 (external link)
Peter, excellent idea.

What I thought was maybe use a Super Clamp on the Golf Buggy, D200 attached to the super clamp spigot then run a normal size stand through the D200 circular grip.

Basically you'd be able to fold the legs up on the stand, loosen the D200 and run the stand at the same angle as the cart when you move, then drop the legs when you get to a location. Would (hopefully) allow for a taller stand to be used as well and allow angular positioning of the light.

Hope this makes sense, if I get some time tomorrow I'll try and make something similar with the gear I have.

my initial idea was to attach a C stand or regular stand but decided against it b/c it'd be too bulky and cumbersome. The Avenger arm should work for lightweight strobe/Quadra/modifier setup. Another way to increase height is to add another Avenger arm to current arm but a sturdier cart would be necessary. The $20 Acuity cart feels $20 but should be fine for rim strobe with reflector IMO.

I like the golf pull carts b/c they're all terrain and designed to collapse very compactly.

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,124 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 20, 2011 10:27 |  #4

Now I can play golf at night!!

Looks good at first sight. Hope it works out well...

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,075 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 20, 2011 10:30 |  #5

You have a couple of options, one really cheap and one not so much. The older bag boy carts, have steel tubing and are sturdier and should be plentiful as they were the gold standard 20 years ago. There are modern carts like the sun mountain carts that are sturdier and lighter, but they run a couple of hundred bucks. Do craigslist wanted ad and ask for an old bag boy pull cart, you oughta be able to get one for $10.

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2011 17:16 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

got the Bagboy Sidekick ($139) which is much stronger, thicker tubing, better wheels, yet still lightweight. Drilled one hole thru frame and placed the Avenger arm bolt thru it and it balances well there. 2 Avenger arms allow for increased height. Works well with Kacey dish but wouldn't put anything heavier on there. Of course, sandbag the front wheel. The Acuity will be used for rim light/reflector. All terrain light stands and you can put other stuff on the cart if necessary. Model pulls one cart, I pull one and we're good to go lol ;)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5184/5639046874_3b9c86df6d_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5143/5651016487_89d349b965_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 20, 2011 18:15 |  #7

Great idea Peter. I hate the look of things that are too DIY too, unless it's professional looking.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2011 19:14 |  #8

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #12262311 (external link)
Great idea Peter. I hate the look of things that are too DIY too, unless it's professional looking.

exactly and I'm obsessed, gonna get another black Avenger arm to replace the silver one lol. Will use the silver arm in studio ;)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 20, 2011 19:23 |  #9

Haha. I know what you mean! It's come to a point right now though that I have no time for DIY stuff for now. Silver looks nice but won't that be harder to deal with in shootings (reflections, etc).

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2011 19:30 |  #10

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #12262648 (external link)
Haha. I know what you mean! It's come to a point right now though that I have no time for DIY stuff for now. Silver looks nice but won't that be harder to deal with in shootings (reflections, etc).

meh, C stands, my wheeled Avenger stand are silver and reflection never been issue for me. btw I shoot with background strobes pointed directly at my lens, that's reflection/ flare lol

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 21, 2011 16:12 as a reply to  @ pnmd's post |  #11

could also stack 2 square Rotaluxes...

3 wheels of golf cart keeps everything very stable. And positioning the lighting over the wheels promotes a good balance. Everything goes on the cart, no need to carry anything, yeah I'm lazy lol ;)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5641143523_494e3e9348_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 21, 2011 18:08 |  #12

That is funny and awesome. It's not laziness, it's efficiency ;)

Arthur

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 21, 2011 18:20 |  #13

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #12268562 (external link)
That is funny and awesome. It's not laziness, it's efficiency ;)

Hanging out on FB so much I actually looked for the like button lol

"like"

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Curtiss ­ Bryant
262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2011 18:26 |  #14

It looks good, but for that much $$ (about $250 based on my calculations), I would think there would be a better option.

Just off the top of my head, you could get one of those folding dollies.. Maybe something like This cart (external link) and take take apart a light stand (remove the legs) and mount it to the cart. That would give you 10ft if you use a 10ft light stand.

The only problem with this is that the footprint wouldnt be as big, so you would need a bit of weight on the bottom the keep it from falling over. But it would come in at around $50 instead of $250 and give you quite a bit more height.

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 21, 2011 18:44 as a reply to  @ Curtiss Bryant's post |  #15

^^Curtiss I hear ya :) Being a golfer I'm used to golf carts and good ones are designed to be stable, not tip over, maneuver easily, take abuse from golfers etc. The Acuity one is pretty sad but the Bagboy is really nice. Personally, I'd like strobe to be right around 6ft so I can get some catchlights in model's eyes. In studio there's enough softboxes and light bouncing around where the eyes will light up. But on location, with 1 main light, I need some light hitting eyes so they'll pop. A little extension tube on the top Avenger grip gets me 6ft plus. Also the Avenger arms are compact, steel, multifunctional.

Paid more for my Avenger wheeled stand which rocks but I'll unlikely use it on outdoor locations anymore. Cart holds and moves everything. But I can see how this wouldn't work for everyone. I've got C stands I can also use which are the best, just gotta lug them around.

And comon' the Bagboy has a pencil and drink holder! ;)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links

27,513 views & 0 likes for this thread
Golf cart light stand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.