Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Editing with Layers in Lightroom: onOne Software's "Perfect Layers"

Tiger_993
553 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 21, 2011 12:57 |  #1

I just found a beta plugin release by a company called onOne Software, whom I'm unfamiliar with. This plugin appears to offer some sort of layer-based editing either within or from Lightroom (they say it was inspired and designed with Scott Kelby). From their webpage (external link):

"Perfect Layers is the fast and easy way to create layered files in Photoshop Lightroom. With Perfect Layers you can create and edit multi-layered Photoshop files directly within Photoshop Lightroom or use it to combine images from within other applications. Use it to change skies, composite multiple images together and retouch portraits using the built-in blend modes. We're extremely excited about Perfect Layers and hope you'll enjoy trying out the completely free Perfect Layers Public Preview Release.
  • Combine multiple images into a layered Photoshop-compatible file
  • Adjust layer size, position, blending mode and opacity
  • Use the built-in layer masks and masking tools to blend multiple layers together
  • Layered files are easily opened in Photoshop if needed
  • Super fast launch and file-opening speed"

It sounds almost too good to be true. I'm not going to have time to play with the plugin until this weekend, so if anyone has any early feedback or experiences with it, please share!

Here's the link: http://www.ononesoftwa​re.com …suite/perfect-layers/?ind (external link)

5DM2 + BG-E6 | 50 1.4 | TS-E 17L | 16-35L | 135L | 70-200 f/4L IS

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 21, 2011 13:14 |  #2

Yeah, Scott Kelby twittered about it: https://twitter.com …/status/6105118​6773630976 (external link)

Downloaded it as well, haven't installed yet.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2011 13:58 |  #3

Wow, the Lightroom "world" keeps changing!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 21, 2011 18:45 |  #4

OnOne Perfect Layers

On One Software has announced a new product that will bring some of the layer functionality from Photoshop into Lightroom and Aperture.

-- On One Preview Page -- (external link)

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2011 18:56 |  #5

Just a followup here:

I downloaded and installed it, read through the ReadMe file before firing up Lightroom and noted that they "require" 4 Gigs of memory and also

OpenGL 2.0 capable video card with 256 MB VRAM running at 1024x768 (1280x1024 or higher recommended)

You know, I built my PC a bunch of years ago and don't recall whether it's OpenGL 2 capable...it does have the 4 Gig in there though.

So, I fired it up (a "normal" LR plugin) and it opens an interface with a tool bar on the right and palettes for layers, Blend modes, and then something interesting -- their "masking" approach is closer it seems to Lightroom local adjustment brushes -- masks are not "attached" layers but are applied via brushes onto an actual image layer.You can visually see what you are applying by turning on an overlay, similar to what you can do in both Photoshop and Lightroom. But, they make the point that they are non-destructive, and also that they are Photoshop-compatible. I didn't play with it long enough to test that out, but it was interesting.

The only problem I had may have been related to my old graphics card, although it's been a decent card. But, when I'd paint with the masking brush these blocks resembling a "transparent" layer in Photoshop (black and white blocks).

OK, breaking news. What I did earlier was load up two images with different content. But it occured to me that a more useful thing to try would be to load two virtual copied, with different processing applied, so you could do layer blending.

Well, the bad news is that the two images loaded in, but not with the different processing...make the top one invisible and visible -- no change. So, I figure I'll get to send some feedback to them about this -- it seems like something is "missing".

Anyway, I hope more folks can test things out on a newer machine and such and report back!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 22, 2011 06:41 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #12268759 (external link)
their "masking" approach is closer it seems to Lightroom local adjustment brushes -- masks are not "attached" layers but are applied via brushes onto an actual image layer.You can visually see what you are applying by turning on an overlay, similar to what you can do in both Photoshop and Lightroom.

This is exactly how Aperture handles masking.

But, they make the point that they are non-destructive, and also that they are Photoshop-compatible.

Aperture's masks are non destructive, but they are not Photoshop compatible. Each mask is stored as a TIFF file inside the Aperture library. I wonder if you would find the same thing for this program?

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 22, 2011 12:54 |  #7

Mark-B wrote in post #12271011 (external link)
This is exactly how Aperture handles masking.

Aperture's masks are non destructive, but they are not Photoshop compatible. Each mask is stored as a TIFF file inside the Aperture library. I wonder if you would find the same thing for this program?

Well, this is on a whole different level from the stuff Lightroom itself does. I'm not an Aperture user, so don't know what you are referring to about Aperture storing a tiff -- Lightroom handles local adjustments as simple metadata, not a separate file.

This PerfectLayers software is a plug-in, though, so yes, it creates a new file that is Photoshop-compatible containing actual layers made up as separate images (and the masking you do) and such. So, it's way outside the scope of "normal" Raw processing.

It is not yet available for Aperture, but that is planned for the future, so hopefully more people can check it out.

Tony

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 22, 2011 14:33 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #12272964 (external link)
Well, this is on a whole different level from the stuff Lightroom itself does. I'm not an Aperture user, so don't know what you are referring to about Aperture storing a tiff -- Lightroom handles local adjustments as simple metadata, not a separate file.

Aperture's local adjustments are also handled as metadata, but Aperture also does masking similar to what you can do in Photoshop. Those masks are stored as TIFF files.

It is not yet available for Aperture, but that is planned for the future, so hopefully more people can check it out.

I read about this program on Earthbound Light but hadn't checked out their website until just now. It appears that Perfect Layers will work as a stand alone program, with Lightroom, Aperture, iPhoto, or any other program that supports external editors. To use it in Aperture, you have to set it as the external editor and it has to be set to export images in 8-bit or 16-bit PSD format. I suppose Lightroom will automatically convert to PSD without user intervention.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 22, 2011 15:44 |  #9

Yeah, it is a plug-in with Lightroom and so a psd is automatically generated and is part of the library. I saw in there feedback page that they will be "properly" incorporating Aperture support, maybe by the actual release.

Tony

icassell
Goldmember
2,671 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 22, 2011 19:48 |  #10

Layers for Lightroom and Aperture

Here's an interesting new release. I'll be curious to see how well it works.

http://www.ononesoftwa​re.com …suite/perfect-layers/?ind (external link)

Ian - http://www.icassell.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Canon 7D2, 7D, 30D, Canon 500 f/4L, Canon EF 400/5.6L, Canon 70-200/2.8L II, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 50/1.8 Mk I, Canon 40/2.8 STM, Rokinon 8/3.5 FE., Sigma 10-20EX/4-5.6, Sigma 1.4X and 2X EX, Canon 1.4x II, Induro CT313/AT214/GHB-2, Canon 600EX-RT, Olympus TG-3

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2011 19:53 |  #11

Downloading now.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 22, 2011 19:54 as a reply to  @ icassell's post |  #12

the trial download doesn't work for aperture yet.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

TheLostVertex
520 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 22, 2011 21:48 |  #13

Mark-B wrote in post #12273498 (external link)
Aperture's local adjustments are also handled as metadata, but Aperture also does masking similar to what you can do in Photoshop. Those masks are stored as TIFF files.

Lightroom stores the masking info as actual metadata in the form of

Flow = 1,
MaskID = "D839F959-46E1-46C6-A869-5DAE8514D37A",
MaskValue = 0.413793,
Radius = 0.12054,
What = "Mask/Paint" },
{ CenterWeight = 0,
Dabs = { "d 0.492492 0.264264",
"d 0.493713 0.210096",
"d 0.494494 0.155895",
etc, etc...

Aperture as you said, keeps black and white tiffs for the brushes. As a result, brush strokes in aperture ends up taking more space than ones in LR on average.

I downloaded and tried out perfect layers. Cant say I care for it, or even can find much of a use for it. It basically has the ability to make a layer and change the blending mode. Its not really integrated with LR or aperture, and just ends up saving a psd. No useful hotkeys or sticky keys for navigation. The image when scaled looks like its not using any sort of smooth scaling so its pretty hard to judge image quality. Its like round tripping with photoshop, but with out all the useful features.

Since its round tripping still, its not really an alternative to PS. Cant really make the price argument since it does hardly anything and you might as well use something like gimpshop if you want to save the dollars.

Do not want.

Edit: Oh, looks like it will set you back 500 dollars if you want it. I thought april fools jokes came at the start of the month ;)

Steven R.
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

BioSpark
237 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 22, 2011 23:53 |  #14

Their on the right track though. I would love it if lightroom had a layer system to it. It would help me from having to go in to photoshop so much. Yes I know it only takes a couple of seconds but multiply that for every photo and it's a pain. I'm hoping the next LR will have layers in it.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2011 00:08 |  #15

Is it really $500?

Tony

sponsored links

8,938 views & 0 likes for this thread
Editing with Layers in Lightroom: onOne Software's "Perfect Layers"
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.