Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Apr 2011 (Friday) 01:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DS3 - How to underexpose the flash in camera?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 22, 2011 01:20 |  #1

One of those questions I have never really had to ask.

Ordinarily I can dial it back on the actual flash itself unit itself but I've now started to use the Pocketwizard TT5 ETTL transceivers so have a total of 5 ETTL flashes in a room.

I'm sure there is a way to dial back the flash exposure level in camera I just am having trouble finding it.

Can anyone help?

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2011 01:28 |  #2

Never used 1DS mk3, but with 580exII and 30D if you set the flash exposure on flash it will override the camera setting.

The camera manual - Page 105 - Flash Photography.
http://itg.beckman.ill​inois.edu …als/EOS-1DsMIII_HG_EN.pdf (external link)

Hope it helps :)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 22, 2011 01:29 |  #3

With TT5's don't you adjust from the transmitter?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 22, 2011 01:34 |  #4

Easy (and works on mk2n, mk3 and mk4)
You know the three buttons in a triangle shape on the top left of the body ?
If you hit the one closest to the back of the body (nearest the menu button) it will bring up the flash exposure compensation function (you have to hold it down to make the adjustment on the mk2n)

It works in conjunction with the FEC on the flash too (only when using the pocket wizards) and you can dial in 3 stops of underexposure on the flash, and another 3 in the camera to underexpose by 6 stops.

You can also adjust flashes individually using their individual dial (so set one or 2 flashes to underexpose by a stop or two) and they will stay at that level under or over the other flashes.
You can then adjust the whole lot up or down on the back of the camera to match the scene.

One of the guys at work showed me this trick. I have been using it every time I drag the pocket wizards out.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 22, 2011 01:37 |  #5

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12270416 (external link)
With TT5's don't you adjust from the transmitter?

You can get a slot in transmitter that adjusts up to three flashes but not 4 unless they share a channel.

As it's using ETTL then the camera decides on the level.

I was at a wedding last night where the flashes were perfectly good for the reception itself but when the first dance began I wanted to dial back everything a stop for more ambiance.

Chris Giles Photography

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 22, 2011 01:38 |  #6

Echo63 wrote in post #12270434 (external link)
Easy (and works on mk2n, mk3 and mk4)
You know the three buttons in a triangle shape on the top left of the body ?
If you hit the one closest to the back of the body (nearest the menu button) it will bring up the flash exposure compensation function (you have to hold it down to make the adjustment on the mk2n)

It works in conjunction with the FEC on the flash too (only when using the pocket wizards) and you can dial in 3 stops of underexposure on the flash, and another 3 in the camera to underexpose by 6 stops.

You can also adjust flashes individually using their individual dial (so set one or 2 flashes to underexpose by a stop or two) and they will stay at that level under or over the other flashes.
You can then adjust the whole lot up or down on the back of the camera to match the scene.

One of the guys at work showed me this trick. I have been using it every time I drag the pocket wizards out.

Thanks matey!

Chris Giles Photography

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 22, 2011 01:39 |  #7

Gel wrote in post #12270449 (external link)
Thanks matey!

Glad it made sense

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 22, 2011 02:18 |  #8

What would happen if I dialled back the FEC by 1 stop yet dialed the flash that was on my camera forward 1 stop?

Would just the one flash on the camera be normal exposure whilst the others dialed back?

Chris Giles Photography

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 22, 2011 02:25 |  #9

Gel wrote in post #12270588 (external link)
What would happen if I dialled back the FEC by 1 stop yet dialed the flash that was on my camera forward 1 stop?

Would just the one flash on the camera be normal exposure whilst the others dialed back?

I don't know, I haven't tried it, I rarely use a flash on camera and when I do, I don't use the pocketwizards.

I would imagine one of 2 things happens

A. The camera sees the on camera flash, and doesn't let both options work together (I am pretty sure you can't adjust the compensation of an on camera flash with both the dial on the flash and in camera) having the PW transmitter there may allow you to do it.
Or
B. The on camera flash exposes properly, and the remotes are -1FEC

You will have to give this one a try (I don't have a working camera here at home) (shutter blew in the mk2n and the PW don't work properly with my mk1)

sponsored links

2,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DS3 - How to underexpose the flash in camera?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.