Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 23 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking about shot setup

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 23, 2011 11:27 |  #1

So, I am out of the country until the 5th of May. While I am away from home I have been thinking of some ideas to set up a cool shot (for when I get back home).This is what I am thinking for a shot. If you have any ideas, or see something wrong in my thought process feel free to chime in :-).I have a large space outside (scored concrete with stone 3' walls going around).I am thinking a woman dressed maybe in a short skirt, button down dress shirt, and hair back in a pony tail. Make up to fit the outfit, and high heals.I want water spray for a BG, so I thought I might use my backdrop stands and pole, raise it as high as it will go with some sort of sprinkler head attached to it spraying water in somewhat of a curtain downward.The woman would be maybe 5 or 6' in front (1.5-2 Meter).I am thinking a strobe with a blue gel behind the water spray aimed somewhat to the model.Then mods on strobes camera left/right to taste to light the front (no gels).Use the 85 1.2 open to taste to get good DOF for the water behind.So, what do ya think...May work? Stupid idea? maybe have better thoughts on this? Stop buggin me with stupid questions? :-)

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

sponsored links
pprice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 23, 2011 11:28 |  #2

I dont know why I space all my paragraphs only to have them bunch up when I hit post??

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 26, 2011 14:36 |  #3

I'd like to see the results!

As for the water spray, you might get a piece of hose with the end capped off, use gaffer's tape to tape it to your backdrop, and punch evenly-spaced holes (maybe 1/2" apart?) in the length of hose that's taped to the horizontal backdrop stand. That might give you the water-curtain effect.

Oh, or a piece of PVC pipe with tiny holes drilled at even intervals, that would probably work even better than the hose, and easier to cap off and work with.

Careful working around water, don't get your strobes wet. Speedlites would probably work from inside Ziploc baggies.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

pprice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 27, 2011 01:06 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #4

Good thinking with the PVC pipe! I will try this as I think you are right, it will give a nice even downward spray. I would have to drill some tiny holes to keep the pressure kind of even all the way to the end. I have another week before I get back home to think about it :-).Thanks for the tip!

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 27, 2011 10:38 |  #5

Had another thought about the PVC: Instead of connecting your source hose to the end of a pipe, put a T-connector in the center of your pipe, and connect the hose to that. Tape or tie the hose to the backdrop cross-bar so it's not in the shot. That way, the pressure starts in the middle - you might get some volume fall-off as you get to the edges, but it should fall-off evenly from the center outward, instead of falling off from one side to the other.

As for the lighting and DOF? dunno. Experiment, experiment.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 27, 2011 11:46 |  #6

pprice wrote in post #12278076 (external link)
I dont know why I space all my paragraphs only to have them bunch up when I hit post??

Hit the return key twice.

Dave Hoffmann

sponsored links

1,036 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking about shot setup
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.