Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 24 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 11:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New here

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 24, 2011 11:13 |  #1

Hello everyone, I am new here. I am retired from the Army and now focusing on my photography. Here is some of my images. I am a bit rusty, but I am very interested in becoming a good wildlife and bird photographer.

IMAGE: http://smorrowphoto.smugmug.com/Photography/Wildlife/Hummingbirds/IMG3671/1244520687_yMQ49-M-2.jpg

IMAGE: http://smorrowphoto.smugmug.com/Photography/Wildlife/Hummingbirds/IMG3976/1244559921_4xV8M-M-2.jpg

IMAGE: http://smorrowphoto.smugmug.com/Photography/Wildlife/Hummingbirds/IMG3867/1244537787_Pn9gH-M-2.jpg

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

sponsored links
jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 24, 2011 13:02 |  #2

Welcome, and lovely shots.

I don't need to tell you, of course, that they're all marred by the very prominent watermark. You might consider, since you're linking from another site, uploading a size there that you won't worry so much about being stolen and minimizing the watermark for use here. You'll get more views and more comments if people aren't distracted from the birds.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

rayman ­ 64
60 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 24, 2011 15:20 as a reply to  @ jgrussell's post |  #3

agree the watermark is far to prominent that aside they are very good shots of a difficult subject keep it up :)

My website http://www.ortonphotog​raphy.co.uk (external link)

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2011 15:56 |  #4

Unless you're a professional photographer who makes a living at photography, I personally don't really see a need for a watermark. However, if you're are going to use one then I would recommend it not being so intrusive, and you might consider turning off "Image Editing OK". Wouldn't be too practical for anyone to edit you picture with the watermark.

Additionally, The 50D can take some great pictures, It takes even better pictures in full Manual mode. I suggest getting away from Auto and get the hang of shooting in Manual. You might miss a few shots, but in the end, you will like the results of those you do get much better.

Having said that, they are very nice pictures. I always love a good picture of a Hummingbird.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

trmwf
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2011 16:09 |  #5

i have to agree with everyone here so far. Lose the auto and go to at least some form of manual.

Mike

Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,743 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2011 19:56 |  #6

I can't say it better......... but Welcome to the forum, you will get lots of help and advice here, this is a very friendly forum, if you put a shot on the internet, it can be copied very easily, if some one wants one of your shots on the internet they will get it. Lets see some more with out the watermark!

Donate to Pekka, help pay our server costs...

akhan
Cream of the Crop
5,215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 24, 2011 20:26 |  #7

welcome to forum, lovely shots

1Dx, 7d II, Canon 200 F2 IS, Canon 600 F/4 IS, Canon 400 F/2.8 IS II, Canon 85 1.2 II, Canon 50 f/1.8II, Canon 1.4 TC III + Canon 2x III TC + Kenko 1.4 TC + Kenko Tubes, PS5, LR4
My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/akhanhk/ (external link)

DM1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 24, 2011 20:27 |  #8

Thanks. I screwed up on the watermark and now I have to re-load those images to get it removed. I agree as well about it, I just have not had time to fix it yet. As for shooting in auto or manual, I shoot either in complete manual mode or in AV or TV but never on auto that I can ever remember unless being bumped there by accident. Will have to check my meta data on those images but I am almost positive I was shooting in shutter priority on them.

Website (external link)
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2011 20:37 |  #9

DM1975 wrote in post #12285626 (external link)
Thanks. I screwed up on the watermark and now I have to re-load those images to get it removed. I agree as well about it, I just have not had time to fix it yet. As for shooting in auto or manual, I shoot either in complete manual mode or in AV or TV but never on auto that I can ever remember unless being bumped there by accident. Will have to check my meta data on those images but I am almost positive I was shooting in shutter priority on them.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Image Date: 2011-04-03 13:02:27 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 200mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: Photographer: Stephen Morrow
Copyright: Do not copy, sell, display, or alter image without permission

If I am not mistaken that is P (Program AE), you probably turned it one too far.

Tim Kerr

DM1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 24, 2011 20:44 |  #10

It had to have been bumped there by accident. I have never consciously shot in auto. I started in film with a Pentax K1000 with no auto anything and don't like shooting in auto at all. I even shoot with my strobes on manual most of the time too. Either way I do not see where it hurt the images here unless you think I should trash them for being on auto? Please don't think that the auto setting is what my photos should be judged by.

Website (external link)

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2011 20:48 |  #11

DM1975 wrote in post #12285723 (external link)
Either way I do not see where it hurt the images here unless you think I should trash them for being on auto? Please don't think that the auto setting is what my photos should be judged by.

Nah, They are mighty fine images. Please don't take insult to suggestions to use full manual. Whatever you are comfortable with.

I've still got my old Pentax 35mm slr hanging around somewhere. If I remember it still has a roll of Fujichrome slide film in it.

Tim Kerr

DM1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 24, 2011 20:55 |  #12

Mine is within arms reach of me sitting on my shelf with my Russian TLR and my old Brownie Hawkeye with bulb flash. I think I have an old roll of ektachrome(sp?) in it. honestly tho, I hate shooting in Auto or the big green P.

Website (external link)

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2011 21:12 |  #13

DM1975 wrote in post #12285794 (external link)
Mine is within arms reach of me sitting on my shelf with my Russian TLR and my old Brownie Hawkeye with bulb flash. I think I have an old roll of ektachrome(sp?) in it. honestly tho, I hate shooting in Auto or the big green P.

I've somehow accidentally turned it to something other than manual, and then when I go to adjust the shutter speed or f/stop I wonder why it's not working right. So I know it can be done. Don't sweat it, just keep shooting nice pictures like that.
Which reminds me, Time to fill all the bird feeders. Should be seeing the Ruby-throated coming around again.

Tim Kerr

DM1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 24, 2011 21:52 |  #14

Ok, the photos should be replaced soon with non-watermarked ones. I will be adding a less intrusive one thoughas a bunch of my photos I took while in Iraq got spread all across a bunch of French websites once. Gonna stick with some kind of watermarking.

Website (external link)

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 24, 2011 22:14 |  #15

DM1975 wrote in post #12286104 (external link)
Gonna stick with some kind of watermarking.

Most of us use some watermarking, but the fact is, you really have to choose between showing off your work and protecting it. These days, it's really not possible to do both. Me, I only upload a 9x7 max size 100dpi image with an unobtrusive watermark. Somebody could take it, crop the watermark and print it, but it'd make a crappy 8x10, so...

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

sponsored links

2,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
New here
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.