Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WTH happened here?

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 24, 2011 20:55 |  #1

So I went out to try some star trails at the beach.....

Shutter 30 secs
Aperture F22
ISO 1600
95 images stacked with 2 dark frames.
EOS 7D with 18-55 at 18mm IS turned off.
Tripod mount, the tripod wasn't extended at all and was pressed into the sand for better support as well.....

Noise reduction turned off along with high iso noise reduction and review time. I have no clue whats going on but this looks like garbage..... Any clue?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

sponsored links
martyn_bannister
568 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 25, 2011 05:00 |  #2

seoul4korea wrote in post #12285793 (external link)
So I went out to try some star trails at the beach.....

Shutter 30 secs
Aperture F22
ISO 1600
95 images stacked with 2 dark frames.
EOS 7D with 18-55 at 18mm IS turned off.
Tripod mount, the tripod wasn't extended at all and was pressed into the sand for better support as well.....

Noise reduction turned off along with high iso noise reduction and review time. I have no clue whats going on but this looks like garbage..... Any clue?

Personally I would blow it up big and hang it on the wall. Nice shot !!!!!!

Was there a lighthouse centre shot? Or do none of the individual shots show this effect? Because it looks very much like flare.

If it is the result of the stacking then no, I have no idea, unless it is some setting in the process. What stacking software were you using?

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 25, 2011 07:32 |  #3

Show us a single image as I doubt there are many stars in there at all, because f22 is way too narrow an aperture.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 25, 2011 07:56 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #4

looks to me like you have a high intensity, moving, light beam in the shot. It all seems to originate from a specific point amongst the buildings. I live by a beach and see such things as part of light shows. Across the estuary from us (about 20 miles away) is another seaside resort (Blackpool, UK, famous for light shows) I can see their light beam displays from my house.

It doesn't look like it was on for long, just a few flickers across, but it may well be that your aperture stopped it showing unless it was pointed right down your lens.

The weird thing is that the beam seems very concentrated, any pattern that takes place in the angle of hitting your lens wouldn't show up as movement at the other end. Maybe it was a just a particularly bright light source, stationary, but on a mast and as the wind moved the mast it drew those patterns?

Definitely looks like a strong light source in the shot caused this, one way or the other. If you go back and look at that part of the shot again, at night, you will probably spot what caused it.

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 25, 2011 13:54 |  #5

yeah i'm not sure.... As for the aperature what would have been a good value? f/8? Also one of the things bothering me is the amount of noise.... (Which I understand the high ISO effects and the heat of the sensor due to the exposure time and such) I went off of ISO 1600 from what I was told before but I'm guessing F22 defeats using it..... The strange thing is It was just a pier..... There was some clouds that had drifted into the some of the frames as well.... The thing that gets me is I didn't notice any kind of light or anything flashed in my direction at all..... could it be that I was set up at the right (wrong in this case) that a ray of light from the lights along the pier struck the sensor during exposure?

I'm not at home but once I get back i'll post up a single 30sec expsure.

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 25, 2011 13:59 |  #6

were you using f22 for DOF or to lengthen the exposure? Like you said, I think iso 1600 with f22 sounds kinda off. You shouldn't need anywhere close to 22 to get everything in focus, so if you're just going for long exposure I'd lower the iso first

Gear

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 25, 2011 14:39 |  #7

It was the last part you had stated. I saw on a post from before that people use ISO 1600 for the stars and didn't think much I guess but that still doesn't explain the crazy ass lights lol.

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 25, 2011 18:14 |  #8

If you are going to stick with 30 sec exposures, I'd use something no smaller than f4. A lot of stars are pretty faint, and smaller apertures will start to lose them. The only downside is that if you are in an area with a lot of light pollution the sky could end up being too bright.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 25, 2011 18:18 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Why did you choose such a high ISO, you could have chosen 200 or 400 and a larger aperture :)

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 25, 2011 19:41 |  #10

Because i'm a noob at star trails and went off what someone else said lol!

luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 25, 2011 20:24 |  #11

It's art!

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 25, 2011 20:26 |  #12

seoul4korea wrote in post #12292023 (external link)
Because i'm a noob at star trails and went off what someone else said lol!

I love honesty............bw!

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 26, 2011 14:26 |  #13

LOL well I mean theres no other real way to explain it.... I'll have one of the frames posted soon.

Roccopirr
36 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 26, 2011 14:35 |  #14

UFO..............

Great shot

bailey239
143 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 04, 2011 14:23 |  #15

The only reason I know to use such a high ISO is when you DON'T want star trails, Just bright stationary stars in the sky. Like others said for good star trails use something around f/8-11 ISO100-400.

~Josh~
Canon T1i 18-55mm kit lens 55-250mm kit lens
My Picasa Album (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
WTH happened here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.