Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Apr 2011 (Monday) 09:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do wedding photogs do it?

NellyNero
118 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 25, 2011 11:45 |  #31

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned Neil Van Niekirk!

http://neilvn.com …lash-pho...hy-techniques/ (external link)

Reading his book changed my (photography) life when it comes to flash, at least. Google his 'black foamie thing' (yes, that is its real name) - I used one of these at my cousin's wedding and it was brilliant. I used it for this shot below, balancing ambient and flash. I have a Stofen I’ve used once and hated - it’s not very selective, it just brightens EVERYTHING so you lose any kind of depth or shading. I bought Neil’s book – it tells you how to meter with flash, bounce, diffuse and balance – but all the info is on his huge website if you’ve time to scour it from the beginning.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

ETA: Oops, I see edge100 has, in fact, linked to Neil!

Flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 7D, Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Lensbaby Composer, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, Canon Speedlite 430ex ii

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2011 11:50 |  #32

NellyNero wrote in post #12289091 (external link)
I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned Neil Van Niekirk!

http://neilvn.com …lash-pho...hy-techniques/ (external link)

Reading his book changed my (photography) life when it comes to flash, at least. Google his 'black foamie thing' (yes, that is its real name) - I used one of these at my cousin's wedding and it was brilliant. I used it for this shot below, balancing ambient and flash. I have a Stofen I’ve used once and hated - it’s not very selective, it just brightens EVERYTHING so you lose any kind of depth or shading. I bought Neil’s book – it tells you how to meter with flash, bounce, diffuse and balance – but all the info is on his huge website if you’ve time to scour it from the beginning.

ETA: Oops, I see edge100 has, in fact, linked to Neil!

So did I.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 25, 2011 11:58 |  #33

Wow, this thread took off since my last post only a few hours ago.

I also made one of Neil's foamy things and use it to this day when I can't bounce like in a church with a high dark ceiling.

The simplest approach (which I also still use much of the time) is a bounce card. There are other approaches, but this is what I would tell you is about the simplest:

- Go into M mode, meter the scene, set your exposure so that it's about two stops too dark. Use as much ISO as you need to stay above 1/100 and about f 4.5.
- Flash in ETTL with the head oriented towards the ceiling. This will provide some general illumination floating down from the ceiling.
- Attach a bounce card (the little one inside the head is really too small). I use a 5x7 piece of hard styrene plastic that I attach with velcro. This throws some reflected light forward to fill in eyes and under chins.
- Chimp. ETTL is fooled by highly reflective surfaces and even people wearing all dark colors. Make adjustments to FEC (which is easily done on the flash) as you need to.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 25, 2011 11:59 |  #34

gonzogolf wrote in post #12289118 (external link)
So did I.

Me too.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 25, 2011 12:00 |  #35

My recommendation for portable (almost on-camera) flash for the types of events discussed here starts with the flash mounted on a camera-rotating bracket so that the flash is ALWAYS located directly above the lens. This eliminates any ugly side shadows.

Then, I almost always use a LumiQuest Promax System (external link) modifier, typically with the white insert in the 80/20 frame. This provides a fairly large bounce card directly above the Speedlite flash unit (the body of which is aimed straight up) to bounce the light toward the subject.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,924 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 25, 2011 12:37 |  #36

I guess Neil did not come up because he always comes up. Wondered who would be the first :) In the first video he states he does use the Stofen He makes it pretty clear he does not use any which most people probably know. Talks a lot about about controlling the direction of the light.

http://www.bhinsights.​com …/just-give-me-f-stop.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 25, 2011 12:37 |  #37

Its an art for a reason, I do it myself and what you have to do is balance everything. Sometimes opting for a high ISO in order to get the ambient to pull through.

I know my flash and camera inside out so when outside without even using a light meter or anything I know how to dial everything in very close then I eyeball it to get it right.

If I am in a specific area outside I will snap a shot without my flash on to get the ambient as I like it, just a real quick test shot. Then I switch on my flash to ETTL, snap another shot with the same Manual setting on my camera. If the flash is too strong I will tell my camera to output less flash if I need more then i will tell my camera to add more light.

Inside I NEVER USE DIRECT FLASH, I will always bounce it if I don't then I pull out the low f/stop lens and turn off the flash.

If you are outside and there isn't anything close behind the person a direct flash will not cast a shadow that is ugly.

Then like someone else said shoot RAW and post becomes very important to balance the colour and blacks etc! Camera Raw or LIghtroom will be your absolute best friend

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2011 12:39 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

digital paradise wrote in post #12289394 (external link)
I guess Neil did not come up because he always comes up. Wondered who would be the first :) In the first video he states he does use the Stofen He makes it pretty clear he does not use any which most people probably know. Talks a lot about about controlling the direction of the light.

http://www.bhinsights.​com …/just-give-me-f-stop.html (external link)

you are about the 3rd or 4th person to say no one brought him up when 3-4 people had mentioned him...LOL

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 25, 2011 13:39 as a reply to  @ stayhumble's post |  #39

yup Neil is the man. Before Neil, I watched Mike Colon's DVD, learned about shooting wide open, hi ISO, photojournalistic wedding style shots. You can see Jasmine Star on the DVD as a model/ student. Neil takes it to another level with bouncing flash, gels, balancing with ambient etc...

http://neilvn.com …to-bounce-your-flash-off/ (external link)

simple but so clever:
"Here’s a neat trick I often use during this situation. Instead of photographing them right there up at the altar, I’ll move them all the way down the aisle towards the main door, until I have a wall behind me that I can use for bounce flash."

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,924 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 25, 2011 13:50 |  #40

stayhumble wrote in post #12289406 (external link)
you are about the 3rd or 4th person to say no one brought him up when 3-4 people had mentioned him...LOL

I did not see them. I posted that after I read Nelly's post. :) He sure does get a lot of press time around here.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 25, 2011 14:17 |  #41

digital paradise wrote in post #12289854 (external link)
He sure does get a lot of press time around here.

And for good reason.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 25, 2011 14:27 |  #42

There is not a lot of PP on most wedding shots. Its just not practical.
Bouncing and keeping a relatively close relationship between flash and ambient.
My default is to bounce with the camera in manual mode, and the ambient about a stop to stop and a half under exposed. The bounced flash is usually zero FEC and then I adjust based on the subject.

As others have said, practice.

The only time I point the flash tube toward the subject is when I'm outside with nothing to bounce off of. That also applies inside in a pitch dark room with nothing to bounce off of. Outside it's for fill. Inside its to get the picture. Not a great picture but a picture. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2011 14:30 |  #43

dmward wrote in post #12290092 (external link)
The only time I point the flash tube toward the subject is when I'm outside with nothing to bounce off of. That also applies inside in a pitch dark room with nothing to bounce off of. Outside it's for fill. Inside its to get the picture. Not a great picture but a picture. :-)

And this is the ugly truth, sometimes you get what you get and there is no way around it.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 25, 2011 14:40 |  #44

Yeah, you really need to learn a million techniques to be a wedding photographer using flash! My last wedding I had a ceiling to bounce off of, but it was dark and mirrored (who mirrors ceilings... really!). So bounce wasn't working the way I wanted so I shot direct, toned it down, and fixed whatever I had to in PP (which was very little, luckily!). I'm definitely going to research the Black Foamie Thing because I'm shooting at that venue again in June.

Also, some wedding photographers DO use off-camera flash to improve their lighting at ceremonies and receptions. I actually started a post about it in the Weddings and Other Family Events section of this forum this past weekend and it already has 3 pages with some great visual examples!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 25, 2011 16:21 as a reply to  @ PeaceFire's post |  #45

I'm still learning the various flash techniques myself but my advice, in your situation, would be to rely on your flash eTTL capabilities.

It's best if you can bounce your flash, otherwise use a bounce card. LumiQuest Quik Bounce is excellent because you can use it for fill and bounce in landscape or portrait position.
---------------

If all fails shoot straight on whilst using available ambient light. In darker situations set your camera in TV mode with a slower shutter speed(1/40-1/80) with a higher ISO(1/800 +-).
This will bring in good ambient light while your camera uses aperture and flash ettl to control exposure. Try and utilize the lowest ISO possible because it will force the camera to use the lowest apertures(better for portraits). Your aperture will blink in the viewfinder if exposure isn't correct so adjust the ISO until it stops.
Lastly, set your camera "on" dial to the slash mark. You can then use the dial to quickly adjust for exposure if necessary. You may also want to look into spot metering mode.

Good luck

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links

10,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do wedding photogs do it?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.